Best Oil for Truck

Started by Mike Cork, April 16, 2024, 01:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

I've been letting the dealership handle my oil changes. However when they charged me almost $150 for an air filter and cabin air filter, I told them they would never see me again.

I drive a 2016 Ram with the standard 5.7L engine. Looks like a lot of different options here. Many Ram forums suggest Red Line or Pennzoil Premium. What everyone does agree on is a high grade synthetic, which is pretty standard in todays vehicles...

Anyway what say all of you, what brand and type of oil are you using?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 16, 2024, 01:09:39 PMI've been letting the dealership handle my oil changes. However when they charged me almost $150 for an air filter and cabin air filter, I told them they would never see me again.

I drive a 2016 Ram with the standard 5.7L engine. Looks like a lot of different options here. Many Ram forums suggest Red Line or Pennzoil Premium. What everyone does agree on is a high grade synthetic, which is pretty standard in todays vehicles...

Anyway what say all of you, what brand and type of oil are you using?
Hemi engines and Redline were meant for each other.

My Ram was a garage queen before I got it. Every oil change was documented and I believe the previous owner waxed it every weekend. The bed showed no signs of ever being used. I've always done my own service and I've used nothing but Redline in my Ram. I collected a sample about once a year and for the first three years and sent off to Blackstone Labs for analysis and the reports were better than any I've ever seen. Even after towing a 31' travel trailer and the Stratos all year on the same oil. There was virtually no sign of engine wear and the Molly content was still higher than most oils have to start with. Blackstone suggested trying to go 10k between oil changes. Last year I only put about 7K on it, so I felt it was time to start the new year off with a fresh oil change. It's pricey compared to a lot of oils, but I feel like it's worth it. I've never found Redline in any of the stores or speed shops around here. I order 8 or 16 quarts at a time (truck takes 7.5) and get free shipping directly from Redline. If you don't want to go the extra for Redline, Mobil1 is a very good oil for the Hemi. BTW, I always use Mobil1 oil filers also. Lot's of good information out on the net regarding oil filters and oil.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Princeton_Man

BTW, you can get a test kit from Blackstone, collect a sample, send it in, request Oil Analyses with TBN. It costs $45 now... used to be $35. Contains a wealth of information about engine wear and performance, as well as things being in the oil that shouldn't. 

If you decide to do it, read about collecting a sample before you collect it. 

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

J.W.

I have used Mobil 1 for a long time now with no complaints. It's a decent synthetic that is available pretty much anywhere, even Walmart. I flirted with Amsoil for a while when a buddy of mine was a salesman. Redline is an excellent oil, too. I know someone that won't run anything else, even uses it in his racing quads. Only thing about it is I hate not being able to find the oil I want at an auto parts store. If you go with a boutique oil brand, you have to order enough to keep some on hand in the event you decide to change the oil sooner than you thought you would.

apenland01

Depending on how many miles are on your truck, switching to a synthetic can cause oil leaks, so staying with dino oil could be a better choice.  You don't mention what the dealer was using, but if it was full synthetic, then it's fine to stick with it.

I just did my oil change about 2 weeks ago and everything still looking good with 197,500 miles on the clock for my 2014 Ford F-150 5.0L Coyote engine.

I use whatever the cheapest full synthetic is on Rockauto, since I can get the oil, Wix oil filter and air filter for less than half of what the oil change places charge.  Currently, I'm using Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic and it's working great.  It takes me about 30 minutes in the driveway to do the oil change.

It takes me about 30 minutes to take the old oil to my local auto parts store, so all in about an hour of time and well worth the investment

Mike Cork

80K on a 2016, doesn't do much if the boat isn't hooked to it. But yes I was having the dealer use full Synthetic so I'm definitely sticking with it.

Something that is new (well since I used to change my own oil) the extremely low viscosity. I used to use 20w50 in my old nova during the summer. I think that might choke a motor these days. Oil is much better too though...

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

J.W.

Quote from: Mike Cork on April 17, 2024, 03:06:51 PMSomething that is new (well since I used to change my own oil) the extremely low viscosity. I used to use 20w50 in my old nova during the summer. I think that might choke a motor these days. Oil is much better too though...

Man, that threw me for a loop, too. I drive a vehicle until the wheels fall off because I hate having a note. My old truck ('98 Dodge) took 10w30. Got my Jeep in '09, got ready to do the first oil change and saw 5w20 was recommended and was floored. My wife's 4Runner takes 0w20. Not far from mineral oil at that point!

Princeton_Man

There's lots of things involved with the recommended viscosity, efficiency is the main thing, there's a very slight increase in fuel economy using 5w20. Towing with a 5.7 Hemi, I don't expect good fuel mileage and prefer slightly better protection, so I use 5w30 in the Ram. There's more Molly in Redline than just about any motor oil out there, so I don't much about engine wear. The lower viscosity when the oil is cold, circulates faster and begins protecting sooner. As your engines heats up the viscosity increases, the oil clings to surfaces better for added protection. You really don't want to use 20w50. Most folks don't realize the viscosity increases as the oil gets hot. One thing I don't like is the Hemi is designed to run at a slightly higher temperature, which when towing in Summer puts a narrow line between running normal and running hot. I watch engine, oil, and water temperatures when towing in the mountains and didn't like seeing the numbers increase so much on the uphill climbs, even though I have an oil cooler. I was told by mechanics at the dealer as well as other Ram owners, that it was normal, but I still didn't like it. I replaced the 203° thermostat with a 180° and changed the setting in the computer, now the towing temperatures remain a little closer to normal.

BTW, Toyota recommends 0w16 for our Corolla!

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club