boat recommendation

Started by Peter_J, April 19, 2024, 08:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter_J

Hey everyone,
just turned 18, gonna be staying home for college, and will have some money leftover for a "graduation gift" after college. Just hoping to get some recommendations and tips on what bass boats I should look at, here are some filters I have for purchasing

- Used bass boat (leaning towards aluminum)
- Price: $12,000 Max (unless i'm left with more money after tuition)
- Driving a 2010 Subaru Outback (3,000 lbs towing capacity, will be installing a transmission cooler before I buy anything to make the load easier)

This boat I will mainly fish large lakes like Hoptacong and Champlain, for bass and pike, so no deep water or saltwater.

If you have any tips or recommendations for buying, towing, or anything regarding my topic any information would be helpful, I've been an angler for all my life and I can't wait to become a boat owner. Thank you and good luck on your next fishing trips!

Donald Garner

Peter_J

Welcome to the UltimateBass Family we're glad you're here.

There are tons of choices reference aluminum bass boats out there.  I've never fished the waters you mention but have heard about Lake Champlain.  You want to ensure you keep safety in mind when purchasing.  Bigger boats ride better in large bodies of water that tend to get rough during nasty weather.

Are there any local Marine Dealerships around in your area?  If so I'd take a trip down there and spent some time just looking around.  Looking at new boats can give you an idea of what to look for in a used boat in that brand.  One of the places you can check out used boats is Boat Trader.

Here's the link   Used boats   This will help you get started in browsing around.

Good luck with your schooling and the passion of becoming a Green & Brown Fish Chaser  ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Eric-Maine

Quote from: Peter_J on April 19, 2024, 08:00:19 AMHey everyone,
just turned 18, gonna be staying home for college, and will have some money leftover for a "graduation gift" after college. Just hoping to get some recommendations and tips on what bass boats I should look at, here are some filters I have for purchasing

- Used bass boat (leaning towards aluminum)
- Price: $12,000 Max (unless i'm left with more money after tuition)
- Driving a 2010 Subaru Outback (3,000 lbs towing capacity, will be installing a transmission cooler before I buy anything to make the load easier)

This boat I will mainly fish large lakes like Hoptacong and Champlain, for bass and pike, so no deep water or saltwater.

If you have any tips or recommendations for buying, towing, or anything regarding my topic any information would be helpful, I've been an angler for all my life and I can't wait to become a boat owner. Thank you and good luck on your next fishing trips!
Champlain is one of the few lakes where I have been truly afraid over the years. If you stay south of the Champlain bridge to South Bay you might be ok in a smaller boat that you can tow with an outback. Tom Reynolds or Brian at Reynolds Marine in Lyme Ct might be a good resource. They sell boats and Subarus. They might be able to help narrow your search.

I have borrowed a 178 Ranger with a 65 ob and liked it a lot. Wide and stable in the back and with a 80lb minn kota it was a joy to fish out of.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Princeton_Man

Good advice from both Don and Eric. Big water and a small/light boat can spell danger. Big boat and a small tow rig can spell big repair bills. Since you're staying home for college, you might consider trading your Subaru for a less efficient 4WD vehicle with a higher towing capacity.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Peter_J

Are there any local Marine Dealerships around in your area?  If so I'd take a trip down there and spent some time just looking around.  Looking at new boats can give you an idea of what to look for in a used boat in that brand.  One of the places you can check out used boats is Boat Trader.

Here's the link   Used boats   This will help you get started in browsing around.

Good luck with your schooling and the passion of becoming a Green & Brown Fish Chaser  ~shade
[/quote]

Thanks for the link i'll definitely check is out, most marine dealerships in my area sell saltwater boats, (I live very close to the Raritan Bay) but I have no problem driving out far to reach ideal dealerships