Finesse Line Thru Swim Baits

Started by chrisD46, May 17, 2024, 11:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisD46

I've started seeing some cool finesse swim bait hacks using small treble hooks , rivets , coffee straws and the like ... Great hook up percentage and the swim bait and weight slides up the line out of the way greatly saving on swim bait costs ... For those of you rigging your own "Finesse Line Thru" swim baits , share your hacks with us !

FlatsNBay

Chris, what are you calling a finesse Swimbait?

chrisD46

The popular approx. 3" thru 5" finesse swim baits from Keitech , Strike King , etc.

FlatsNBay

I've only fished them on jigheads. Post up your ideas. I'd be interested in trying them.

chrisD46

Here are some prime examples of a line thru swim bait (pop rivet rig) :

KVD :
Zona :
Mike Iconelli :

Here's a great example with Scott Martin using a thin , plastic coffee / cocktail straw as the insert : .

Here's another plastic coffee / cocktail straw line thru rig set up with Matt Stefan :

* A lot of pros have found this line thru swim bait rig increases their bass landing rate to almost never losing a bass again !

Pat Dilling

Nice tips.  I plan to try it with the straw.

Thanks!
I knew I shoulda re-tied!!

chrisD46

I believe I like the coffee stir straw option the best as you can cut to length for different swim bait sizes ./ brands . I also would put a drop of Locktite Gel Super Glue on the outside of the plastic stray once you get it measured and inserted into the swim bait . The split ring (size #2 or #3) inserted on the hook ads a touch of weight and prevents the treble hook eye from gouging the swim bait ... I hope this helps - I definitely think the hook up and landing percentage go up in open water scenarios using a swim bait . If you have cover - then no , not a good technique - but compared to a open hook jig head , you can use different size treble hooks , and different size bullet weights to suit the conditions and size swim bait better (less expensive too !)

Capt. BassinLou

I appreciate this thread. Thank you. The videos and the posts got me thinking and tinkering. I like it!! I will be testing on the water soon! ;)

FlatsNBay

That's the problem with weedless rigged swimbaits. They just don't have a great hook up/land ratio. Those tricks surely could be great in the right conditions.

Capt. BassinLou

This concept just became more interesting. I rigged a fluke in line.

Quickly ran out to my neighborhood canal. In 10 minutes, a bass jumped out of the water and grabbed the fluke!

I started reeling quickly, and wouldn't you know it. The treble hook did its thing! The fluke slid up the line with 0 damage!

Capt. BassinLou

Now I'm rigging different colors in line for my trip on Fri! Lol!!

Thanks again for the idea Chris!

D.W. Verts

When I showed Dion my first 5" hand-poured swimbaits last fall he convinced me that this was the way to go immediately.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

chrisD46

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on May 22, 2024, 04:01:30 PMNow I'm rigging different colors in line for my trip on Fri! Lol!!

Thanks again for the idea Chris!
*Good deal Captain ! Here are a few other tips for the line thru swim bait with a treble hook :

1) Try it also with a Super Fluke !
2) Use a #2 or #3 size split ring to keep the hook end / line tie from digging into the straw.
3) Above the hook insert a backwards bullet weight - then insert into the swim bait belly.
4) Use a bullet weight ahead of the nose for smallest swim baits.
5) Use treble hook that has one hook barb in line with the hook eye for easier belly rigging (Owner ST-36).
6) For 2.8" swim baits straws use a aerosol spray straw cut to proper length using 6 to 8 lb. FC line.
7) Treble hook sizes : #2 for 5" swim baits, #4 for 4 - 4.75", #6 for 3.25" - 3.75" and #8 for under 3".
8) Coffee straws for small swim baits are sold in bulk at Amazon.
9) To get the straw hole started easier use a straight metal pick such as the one included here : https://www.harborfreight.com/mini-pick-and-hook-set-63697.html?event_id=182713&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12192884362&campaignid=12192884362&utm_content=116489872225&adsetid=116489872225&product=63697&store=&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw9cCyBhBzEiwAJTUWNdi_5ajPaaJIkS5HTzSvyHwN-0r3KAcdOO8lC2Hn0f05IrN3pkW80RoCo_AQAvD_BwE

Capt. BassinLou

Appreciate all that information Chris. I crushed the bass today with fluke with the line thru. Very fun. Solid hook ups!

chrisD46

Good deal - I simply consolidated information and experiences. While it doesn't replace a swim bait jig head for a certain look , a weedless EWG rig around weeds , etc. the technique shines in open water where the finesse treble hook line through set up really shines .

FlatsNBay

It definitely looks like it would work great. I wonder what is the best way to add weight to the rig? Probably the easiest would be a bullet weight?

chrisD46

You can add a bullet weight (rigged backwards) if your swimbait has a belly slit cavity - otherwise rig a bullet weight normally external to the nose of the swim bait .

chrisD46

Another line through swim bait tip : Error to the side of slightly smaller treble hooks with #6 being the most common in that 3.25" ~ 3.5" swim bait size and the #4 for the 4" ~ 4.25" swim bait size . * A lot has to do with the diameter of the swim bait , so if using a fatter swim bait you could use a slightly larger treble hook and conversely a smaller size treble hook for your thinner profile swim baits .For the 3" and under swim baits try the #8 treble hook size.  *The reason is you do not want to affect the swimming action of the swim bait so error on using a slightly smaller treble hook than you think you need and you will still stick bass good ! *Reserve those large #2 treble hooks for the 5" and larger swim baits . Even for a Zoom Super Fluke a size #4 treble hook will work well and help keep that Super Fluke action have a normal , slow fall , darting action for bass .

chrisD46

For those that want to try something similar where a captive nose weight with detail provides an close alternative from 6th Sense to the line through swim bait examples above : https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/6th_Sense_Line_Through_Swimbait_Treble_Head/descpage-LTSHH.html?_gl=1*1gxqt37*_up*MQ..&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgOmbvPW0hgMVHBd2Bh3tjg7KEAEYASAJEgLo1vD_BwE