Salmon!

Started by FisherMOM, October 17, 2004, 10:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Fogelson

Ok,  I just didn't know if you guys didn't know how? or if maybe that was part of the price of fishing in that location or what.  Just curious.

Fogy

Lipripper

fogy EYE don't know about up there but most of the Charter Boats EYE've been on in Lake Michigan and Lake Erie would do it for ya @ $1.00 per fish.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Ron Fogelson

The only guide service I have used has been on Lake of the woods MN/Canada border.  The capt/guide was all so the fish-cleaner.  They clean your fish & cook a shore lunch then @ the end of the day they again clean your catch, wrap it in freezer paper & freeze it for you to take on your trip home.  I love that Lodge, been twice & can't wait to go back.  For anyone wanting a nice fishing vacation check out Sports Mans Lodge in Bowdeat MN.

Play Nice or Die!
Fogy

Fishaholic

Indiana Salmon on 4 lb. test line at Trail Creek, near Michigan City

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mike Cork

Nice Salmon and on 4 pound to boot  ~c~

Indiana Salmon, forgive my ignorance, that obvioulsy came out of the big lake. Do they run from the ocean or are they land locked?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Fishaholic

Came out of Lake Michigan ultimately...in mid to late September they start runnin' up the creeks (spawning ritual)...the trick of course is to catch em when they're still green (just out of the lake) ...the longer you wait, or the further you go down stream to get your fish, the skankier or more beat up they'll be.

Shortly after the kings enter the streams, large cohos and browns come up the streams searching for eggs a tasty morsel to gobble up (hint, use spawn sacs to catch the cohos).

Then, after the cohos and browns have had their fill, the steelhead make their way into the streams where they'll stay for the duration of Winter, and then in the spring, make their way back up to the "big pond".

Mike Cork

Thanks for the run down, Fishaholic

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Fishaholic

Here, I think I got this photo thing figured out now...

Lipripper

Thanks for the info Fishaholic ~c~ ~c~ and joda and I and a couple of our other NAFC members are going to go back to the St. Joes river in Michigan in January to go Steelhead Fishing again and I sure do hope they will be in a more playful mood than they were the last time we were there. It's still going to be fun anyways either way ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Fishaholic

Steelhead will be in the stream all winter long...then there's another strain of steelies that'll be in the streams for the summer...and in July, the skammania will start into the streams.

The St. Joe in MI is an excellent steelhead river, but personally, I still like to fish my tiny little creeks for em.