Chautauqua Lake and My Adventures

Started by LoonyToon, June 20, 2006, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoonyToon

I don't really know where to begin..................................... :-* The Start

I left Delaware to check out a ProCraft in Newark, Ohio a 205DC to be exact, that the dealer stated was pristine------- :(  after 8 1/2 hrs. driving I found Boat Boys and was  :o to see the condition of this boat.......The Deck wasn't even fastened to the Hull except with silicone and the rub rail was the only thing holding them together.....After inspecting the boat I asked for a water test ride and was told I had to BUY it first---this made me very  >:( and I advised the Salesman where he could park his boat/hoping the sun would never shine on it again.......................................

I then proceeded across Ohio into Indiana on my way to Danville, Ill. to check out another boat----- :( ly the man did not have a Title for the boat as it definitely
was worth his price $$$$$ wise..........So now to the Meat and Potatoes  ~c~ ~c~

After leaving Danville I headed to Jamestown, New York to see B-Zone Bait Co.
owner and avid fisherman Tim Bogey.....Tim had bought a Tr-21 from a touring Pro from Georgia, but needed to let it go, so I went to take a look... ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Upon arriving on I-86 to Chautauqua, I stopped at the most gorgeous Rest Area
in the world...This place cost over 14 Million $$$$ to build...I was  :o to see such a panoramic view of Lake Chautauqua and the surrounding area.....This Rest Area
has Marble floors and Counter-tops, Plasma T.V., and everything from soup to nuts
and the people that work there  :) all the time, speak to everyone, and  lo ;D ~c~
really get along......That was this past Tuesday June 13th, and it just got better..

On Wednesday, June 14th, 2006; Tim and I loaded the boat and headed for the
Lakewood Ramp.......I was kinda  :o to see the ramp as it was not what I had expected......small concrete slab and aluminum floating pier.....but we got it in..
Tim proceeded to take us almost directly across the lake from where we put in to a small cove he likes to fish......There were plenty  ~fff and I accommodated as many as I could till dusk......We sealed a deal on the Triton that evening over dinner, and that was when the Misadventures began  :( ~shade........
   All I can say is don't try to wire money, take Cashiers Checks, or transfer funds in New York unless you have 3--that's right three (3) days to kill...New Regulations since 9/11/01--the State of New York has 72 Hours to disburse the funds, and they don't care who you are.............
   Thursday, Tim had to work late so we did not get in the water till later in the day and fished around the Rock area marked off and I caught two nice fish--one smallie and one largemouth....We waited for the funds to get to his Credit Union  :( ly and I was getting  >:( , but there was nothing I could do........
   There are some REALLY NICE  ~fff in this Lake and some great sized Muskie's too along with Northern Pike, Smallmouth, Largemouth, Perch, and almost every species known in that area---ALL in good quantity............

Finally Friday -June 16th we hit the lake in the morning and caught 7 nice  ~fff,
then went to his Credit Union, finished the paperwork, then on to the Chatakill
(wrong spelling) River outside of Celoron.........It was the greatest day one could only wish for--Sunny-Warm-Slight Breeze and 6-8 lb Largemouth Bass....... ~c~ ~c~........I swear I have never seen, hooked, nor boated as many large fish in one day in my life....and they all came in shallow water---under 2 ft deep/along the bank........... ~fff ~fff ~fff v~ ~cf abounded for at least three (3) hours that
afternoon.................

If you ever get there check out the Red Roof Inn in Falconer and be sure to eat at BellView East---you can't finish it all--great food,great prices--nothing over $15.99
for Dinner on the whole menu--Prime Rib is only 13.99 and it is huge..........
   For your Breakfast I might suggest Phil and Cindy's just inside Jamestown, if
your heading east on 394....It's at a small shopping center by a Dollar store right
after Mickie D's........Very Nice People ;D ;) :) Very Friendly, Kind and Courteous..
   There are abundant Bait and Tackle shops all around the lake, but I favored the one in Jamestown on route 60 South and M & M as they really treated me good, but $25.00 for a weeks license is a little steep-----But I swear the fishing is worth
every penny--------That is Out-Of-State License......Great place and I definitely
will be going back........ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

Dug

excellent trip report, thanks.  And congrats on the triton!

Doug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Tritonrob

Okuma geat report and gald you liked the lake.  If you liked the lake now give it a try in late September early October.  The large mouth bite is still good won't get them as big as you just did but the small mouth bite is absolutely incredible.  Big small mouth and lots of them to be caught.

fishforfree

okuma........that is a great story. Loved reading every word and emoticon of it.

I'm originally from upstate NY and yes the fishing can be the absolute BOMB.

Glad to hear you got a new boat and caught some monsters along the way!!!

~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Lipripper

All right okuma so that's where you've been   :roll2: :roll2: congradulation on your new  v~ and on all the  ~fff ~fff ~fff you caught  ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet