Line winding on one side

Started by Mike Cork, October 27, 2004, 10:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cork

This is more prevalent in a couple of quantum's that I have wore out, but it started on one of my curado's. Now the line guide is moving back and forth find and I have lubed the worm gear and checked the paw and it all seems find.

After a few casts I notice that the line is building up on one side of the reel. This doesn't happen all at once but over time you can definitely tell the line has built up on one side more than the other. Once I notice this I make a long cast and while winding the line in I pay attention to the line guide and feed the line back and forth with my fingers as the guide is moving back and forth at this point all seems to be working fine and the line is level again.

Any suggestions? Do I have something worn out or is it in my retrieve action under unconscious fishing?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Trey

I had that happen to an Abu Garcia of mine, and I ended up replacing the worm gear and the pawl.  It only costs acout $7 for the both of them.  It is very hard to tell if the pawl is worn out or not unless you have a new one to compare it to.  After I replaced those parts, the reel worked good as new.  Hope this helps.

Trey  8)
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and you'll never see him again!

Mike Cork

I have had to do that too on Abu Garcia reels but it was easy to tell they were worn our because the line guide would stick to the bad side every once in a while. That is not happening with these reels  :-\

Cork's Reel Service

Marty

Mike,

If the Curado is pretty old/been used a whole lot then it is probably the pawl.  I would replace them as a set (worm gear & pawl).  Of course, this is ConnieK's area of expertise so I would direct it to her.  The Curado pawls & gears seem to last longer than the Abu's. but even a Curado wears out eventually.  They're tough reels, though.  That's why I have 10 of them!

Marty

Mike Cork

I have a dozen myself and this is the first one to act up, other than just needing a cleaning  ;D I wonder what the milage expectancy is of these reels, I bet I have rolled the odometer over on a couple of them  ;D

Cork's Reel Service

Marty

Uh-oh...

If you have dozen & I only have 10, I guess I need to buy some more!  I just bought a brand new one in the box on ebay last week for $75 + $7 shipping.  Pretty good, huh?  I think that's the cheapest new one I ever bought.  The guy had about 5 of them for sale, I could have bought them all for that price.  I guess I should have, heck I could have sold a few for a profit at that price.  I think my wife would have kilt me, though!

Marty

Mike Cork

that was a good deal, by they for 82 and turn around and sell them for 100 even and everyone makes / saves money

Cork's Reel Service

MotherNature

Connie~
what is your recommendation?

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

conniek

well now, it's kinda early in the morning to be thinking too hard.LOL. Sometimes the line will build up if holding reel to one side and then the other. If replacing the worm gear and pawl works, then change them.
to inspect the pawl, hold up and look at the side of the half moon, if scratches, get you a new one. To check your worm gear, use a cotton swab and rub up and down the gear while turning, if snag, get a new one.
Visually inspect the gear by looking for scratches on the tips of the gear teeth. The pawl travels back and forth  between the teeth on the worm gearshaft as the handle is turned.  If the pawl does not travel the entire distance, build up will happen too.
When putting on your line, be sure to load line straight accross and back and forth. I know I've loaded line and not had reel level and had build up on one side. Don't know how I could make an error. Hubby says it is just amazing.  ::) Alol of the advice here is great. someone mentioned mileage on a reel. IMHO! It is the care you give your reel, just like your pickum up truck, the better care, the longer it lasts. conniek
conniek-Gycb Pro Staff,Ask about our maint. video and training school- SEE US IN DEC ISSUE BASSMASTER

Mike Cork

Thanks ConnieK, I didn't think about it not traveling all the way to each side. I will try your inspection techniques I like the cotton idea that is a cool idea.

Cork's Reel Service

Fishingelbow

Hey Connie, is that avatar your DOMINATRIX Halloween costume or just the usual way you get Tommy to listen to you?
>:D
><(((°>

MotherNature

I had the chance to meet Connie and Tommy this weeknd and I am pretty sure that it is how she gets him to listen to her  lo

Just kidding... I had a great time at dinner, it was wonderful to get to meet them both.  ~c~

Tight Lines,
Mother Nature

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

conniek

Fishingelbow, what can I say? that avatar just appeared out of the clear blue sky ands it seems to be appropriate. I really don't  know the clown who made it for me.  ~c~
conniek-Gycb Pro Staff,Ask about our maint. video and training school- SEE US IN DEC ISSUE BASSMASTER

kenmc77777

ConnieK mentioned something that I always have a problem with - line build up on one side or un-even spooling when putting on new line! I have all kinds of gadgets as well as using a pencil and I can never get it on nice and smooth/even. And it doesn't matter what type of reel it is; baitcaster, spinning (the line on the spinning reels always want to spool up more to the front!) and even spincast. And with the baitcasters having level wind, it's hard to figure out how it would NOT spool up level? I sure would appreciate any and all help!
Thanks in advance!
Ken Mc

Mike Cork

Connie might have a good fix for this but I am in the same boat as you. My fix is after I spool up, I walk the line out the back yard as far as I can and then take a phone book and place the line in the middle of it to give a little tension and wind it back up. I don't have a theory but I think it has something to do with the way it comes off the packaging spool. Anyway after doing this two things happen, One any twist that was in the line is gone and Two I seem to have a much more even loading of line on my reel. Hope this helps

Cork's Reel Service

kenmc77777

Thanks Mike! I'll have to try that. But you may have to send me one of your old phone books,  ??? I don't think the Cotile lake book will give me much tension!  lo
Ken Mc

Mike Cork

~roflmao

Well maybe dictionary or something  lo

Cork's Reel Service

Rowdy

After inspection of the reel that is suspect and find all good and clean there, I have had really good luck with getting the line to lay all nice and flat as well as the memory to a more controled state with spraying the line and the paw area with that Reel Magic.

No expert on the reels at all here, but I have noticed the same thing with some of mine from time to time and I always make sure of how clean they are first and then shoot them with a shot of line magic before I go on the next trip to the lake.

I think my reels biggest problem here of late, is the lack of use, keeping the memory of the line at bay. Now I don't see this as so much a problem once I get the memory worked out of the line and have shot the reel with Reel Magic.

I will say this though, I have a couple of Calcuta's with braid on them and from time to time see the line get all fugly on them as well, and a shot of the reel magic on the paw and worm gear seems to do the trick in a cast or two later. Not much memory on the braid, I do get the line all pulled down into itself though really bad if I either get line snagged up and pull hard to get the line free or landing a fish, that usally throws out on the next cast though. Love the braided line for certain things. The lack of memory is killer for pitching into the fugly waters with the brush and hopefully fish LOL...

I think a good question I would like to see a person with as much time into reels as Connie has, what does she think about the use of Reel Magic??? Good or bad for spraying on the reels??? Thanks

shadow

Yeah, I'd like to know the same thing. Has anyone had any ill effects on their reels from using Reel Magic? Thanks!

Mike Cork

I have used Reel Magic for quite sometime and haven't seen any down falls yet except it doesn't last long for me, and like you Rowdy it requires re shooting periodically.

Connie what do you think about this stuff.  I seem to remember that you posted somewhere that it was ok for a temp fix on the water, but what about long term effects does this stuff hurt a reel over time ??

Cork's Reel Service

shadow745

I've seen Bill Dance and I think Jimmy Houston use it for years, but maybe it's because they are getting paid to do so. I think it would definitely help to soften the line a bit for better casting, but it seems like it would have some kind of effect on the finish of a reel if used long term. Who knows!!! Later!