Lake Lopez Bass Fishing Reports

Started by calincalif50, November 22, 2004, 04:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texasd

Went back to Lopez today.  What a difference a week makes.  Water is no longer green but still pretty stained.  Started off with a bang with a 4 lbs and a 6 lbs in the same spot I fished last week and worked it pretty hard and only caught the two.  Then I to decide either to keep bass fishing or catch some bluegill and redear for my wife.  I decided that I didn't want to hear my complaints that I never bring home fish to eat.  I caught both of mine of rat l' traps and saw others catch fish on spinnerbaits and plastics.  I hate the Lopez wind after it gets in high gear.  Lot of boat on the water one of the clubs had a tourney today.
Hook' em

calincalif50

Had a small tourny at Lopez this weekend.  Just five of us fishing, and my maiden voyage in my new boat.  Over all it handled very well, was a bit disappointed in that something was draining off power from the starting battery and I had to keep switching to the trolling batt to start the engine.  Then the trolling battery finally gave up and I had to hook it up to the starting motor and leave the motor running in idle.  Then one live well wouldn't work at all, the other intermittently with very little water pressure to refill. 

In spite of all the short coming I did manage to take first place with 4 fish for 9+ pounds.  A good day for me.

Got the boat home without any problems, pulled out of the ramp (Lopez ramp is pretty steep) without any problems what so ever.  Did have a slight problem getting the boat completely on the trailer ( wasn't far enough into the water) and consequently the auto latch mechanism didn't latch, did get close enough to use the winch strap and away I went.  Got the boat home and started looking for problem areas.  Discovered a broken wire on the trolling motor wiring at the battery so it wasn't making contact all the time.  The sump was running all the time draining the starting battery, and the reason I had no pressure in the one working live well was because the live well pump was partially broken at the discharge fitting, allowing some water into the live well and some into the sump area.  When I got the boat home I raised the front as high as it would go and it took over a minute to completely empty the sump.

Because of my bad hearing I couldn't hear the pumps working.  First agenda for the boat is to change out all the switches to ones with lights so I have a visual to see if its on.  Nuff said

It was a fun day

Dan

I go to school at cal poly and this summer I fell in love with bass fishing I even got a aluminum fishing boat that has make shift casting deck.  Just wanted to know how the bass fishing has been at lopez, what has been working, and what are some good parts of the lake.
Thanks,
Dan

calincalif50

Dan
   we had a small trny last saturday, I caught 9+ pounds, everyone caught at least one I remember.  Wince we have trny therte agin in a week I'll forego the specifics of where and what and tell you throw spinners, cranks or soft baits.  Sory I can't be more specific than that at this time.  Congratulations on your boat.  Welcome to BASS fishing ~roflmao ~c~

dan

How does the tournement work is it just for a club you belong to or is it open to anyone? Is there any coming up?  How much do they usually cost?  I've been thinking about how much fun a tournement would be.

calincalif50

most clubs are by member ship, but ther may be others.  Cost depnds on the pay back that each club accesses