Keeping soft plastics fresh

Started by BandDCustomLures, December 19, 2004, 08:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandDCustomLures

I was on another site and this question was raised and I had to reply on how I've keep them fresh not for month's but years .
I purchase soft plastics in 100 counts only for a better value.

Very simple ,I place my stock (after my box's are full) in freezer bags and place them in the deep freezer. No they will not freeze up and be hard.
Be sure to label them with product name and date purchased so you know to what to use and the older stock if you've restocked .

I was looking for a way years ago when Berkley came out with the Power Worm. The Power worm will break down quicker being it has animal by products in it.The freezer will keep them for long time.
I have some that's been in there for about 7 years (yeah I don't get out much) and I broke some out this year and they were fresh as they were when I first opened them.

Hope this may help you guys and gals.

(P.S.) Don't let your wife try to cook them up for you for dinner!

Mike Cork

That is an excellent idea, I never really thought about it but plastic is a petroleum product and the cold will thicken it up and preserve it. That is a very good idea.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

MotherNature

That is a great idea Bill! I guess now I am going to have to clean off a shelf or two of the freezer for Mike now cause he will want to put all his plastics in there now  :surrender: The good thing is I just might get a shelf back in the laundry room for needed items  :roll2:

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

HoosierAngler

Laurie, Laurie, Laurie-What could possibly be more needed?!? ;D ;D Great tip though, have to give that a shot.

BandDCustomLures

Laurie,
Just 1 or 2 shelves? That poor guy! Mike I'm soory to hear Laurie puts food before soft plastics.Hahaha

You can pickup a used Freezer cheap now a days and kkep in the garage just for your fishin stuff.

Glad everone liked the idea.

MotherNature

HA this house has so much fishing stuff in it that I wouldn't think there was anything that he didn't already have but I am enlightened on a dialy basis with new and unique products that just seem to make their way into our home.

I am really looking forward to the move to Mississippi cause we will be getting a bigger house to go with our fishing  ;D

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

Mike Cork

Bigger house? Just a bigger boat would do ~shade

Cork's Reel Service

Mike Noble

That is a great idea.  I will have to try the freezer for my soft plastics.
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

BIG PAPA

Not at all sure how much longer you guys are planning on fishing, but I have worms and lizards that are over 40 years old that have just been in a plastic bag in my shop. I also have some old Arkie jigs that I bought in the sixties that still look brand new, in fact I pull one out of the box and fish with one of them every so often. Except for the gold colored hook , which is slightly smaller than what we use today and the number of strands they are pretty much the same. ( lots more strands than modern jigs) and they are held on with thread. (Imagine a jig that the skirt actually stays on) lo I still have the jig I caught a  7.7 lb. Bass on that won me $6,500.00  in a KYKX big Bass tourney on Toledo Bend in 1976. By the way the Uncle Josh pork baits have not fared as well  ;D I should have frozen them. :-

papa 8)

TEAMZEPEDA

Well i just wanted to say that is a very good idea i would have never thought of that again congrats on that idea well if yall dont know me im out here in sunny california getting ready for my tournament Jan 22nd US Anglers Choice PRO team circuit hoping to win that big money you know how it goes well get back to me yall and good luck on dem BIG lunkers.!! ~bu ~bu ~cf
Frank Zepeda

Mike Cork

Welcome Teamzepeda, Let us know how that tournament goes. Where is it going to be?

Papa, I got to thinking about it and you are right about most plastics they will last quite some time but the new bait formula penetrated baits do deteriorate pretty quickly.

Cork's Reel Service

BIG PAPA

Hadn't thought about the new baits with all the additives ;D

papa ::)