Baitcast or Spinning?

Started by Rickoos, March 22, 2005, 10:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRogue

I use mostly baitcasters,but I pitch with a spinning reel.It just makes things a lot easier.

LochRaven05

i think it all depends on the type of fishing your doing. for lighter lures its normally easier to use a spinning reel so you can cast farther. with heavier to medium weight lures a baitcast reel gives you more control and accuracy. it really comes down to personal preference though.

rededison127

when i first started getting serious about bass fishing, i only used baitcasters. im fairly new to using artificial bait, so this season i have been practicing my finesse fishing with spinning tackle. Today i caught a nice 3 pounder at North Park Lake here in PA on a bitsy bug finesse jig with a small yum crawbug. I always read that when the water becomes colder, the bass will strike more on a smaller bait, and that is why i chose to get into finesse fishing. now im HOOKED.

Creel Limit Zero

I started using baitcasting a lot more this year, and now I have no idea how I wasn't using it more.  Everything about baitcasters to me is better, except skipping and really light lures. 

topcat

I am a fan of the baitcaster....I have been baitcasting for at least 20 years...its just like driving a standard car or truck.....I would rather have a standard....its what I learned on...the same thing with baitcasting/Spinning...... it depends on what you learned on as to what method you prefer and feel most comfortable using.........

Topcat

rededison127

i recommend learning both spinning and baitcasting. use spinning gear for lighter baits and finesse baits. use baitcasters for everything else. you cannot beat the accuracy of a baitcasting reel.

cya!

Delta_24/7

I have been predominately using baitcasting gear the last 7 years, fishing the Cal Delta you really have to go with the heavier gear and line, I use spinning gear for light drop shotting instances and crappie/sunfish only. The advances to baitcasting gear have been phenomenal the last ten years, fishing rods have become stronger and lighter, reels with super free have made cast lighter lines and lures so much easier now than ever before. Techniques such as flipping and pitching are performed much more efficiently and effectively with baitcasting gear. Newer lines such as braid and flouro are much better suited to baitcasters than spinning gear IMHO.
Skipping I will leave to spinning gear, however here on the delta most docks float on the water instead of being built over the water, so for the most part that is a mute point. I just wish that it didn't cost so darn much for good quality gear :'(