Bass Fishing Forum Bass Fishing Forum

Site Slogan

News: NEW FORUM! Yes, this is UB! Feedback HERE!

Drag problem

(Read 2536 times)

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB

Fishaholic

• Fisher Person
  • Fishin' is my Mission!
What causes the drag to quit functioning?

The reel in question is a Shimano Magnum 200GT.

I don't use the reel very often, and always back off the tension on the drag when the reel's not in use, but the last time out there was simply no amount of pressure or tightening of the drag that would cause the drag to function properly.

conniek

• Smallmouth
  • FnG
well, first off, a very qood question.
if you have braided line on your spool and no backing. the drag will never tighten down. with braided line, install about 4 ft or so of mono line next to spool and then tie the braid to the mono using a blood knot. If that isn't the problem, we'll try something else. but this is a good starting point. conniek
conniek-Gycb Pro Staff,Ask about our maint. video and training school- SEE US IN DEC ISSUE BASSMASTER

Fishaholic

• Fisher Person
  • Fishin' is my Mission!
well, I'll try that, but all my other baitcasters have the braided line tied directly to the spool and they're not having any similar problems...and all my baitcasters are Shimano's.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
Fishaholic, I have seen this happen before also. For some reason all will be good then out of the blue the braid will start slipping on the spool. I don't know what initially causes it but a couple feet of good old mono fixes it. Not saying that is what is wrong just that I have seen it before. Give it a shot and if it doesn't work I am sure Conniek has a couple other tricks up her sleve ;)
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Fishaholic

• Fisher Person
  • Fishin' is my Mission!
I had every intention of giving it a try...I was just letting her know that I don't have this problem on any of my other reels with braided line...and that all of em have the braid connected directly to the spool.

We should have the results later today.

BassBUFF

• LM Community Diplomat
  • '07 LEGEND LE195 w/200 Opti
Is it a wiffle or solid spool? Tie directly to one of the holes for a wiffle or if it's solid use mono for backing like Connie said. I use the mono backing just to save some braided line and it works for me. Just something else to think about.

Fishaholic

• Fisher Person
  • Fishin' is my Mission!
That got it Connie...thanks...great tip, just to make sure, I'm gonna switch all of my baitcasters over to this format.  ~c~

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
I didn't mean to come off wrong at all, just throwing my experience in there ~mcc~ I know what you mean though I have had reels that never seem to have a problem being fully spooled with braid also. I am like BassBuff now though, to save some money I use mono as a filler. With your bank and wader fishing though I know long distance casting is something you look for so that may not be an options. Any how, looking forward to hearing the results of this one.

Well as I was trying to post, you posted results. Cool
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Fishaholic

• Fisher Person
  • Fishin' is my Mission!
...and you're right, primarily being a shore fisherman, long casts are sometimes imperative to my success...also, the willingness to try something new, and cast where no one else will!

BECOME A CHARTER MEMBER SUPPORT UB