Sufix Performance Braid

Started by Bassonly, December 14, 2006, 11:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassonly

I talked to a couple guys yesterday who both said they liked it a lot; one guy who I really respect said that it was the best braid he had ever used. Anyone used it? I will be picking up some to try on my jig rod.
Boone Powell
Fishing is my job and my passion.

justtrying

i haven't tried it, i've been pretty happy w/ power pro, but, like you, all the good reports have me thinking about trying it.
please post your results after using it & let us know how You like it.

thanks
ronnie

Mike Cork

Power Pro works with zero discrepancies for me, does the Suffix have and advantage I am missing out on over Power Pro?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

John C

Ive used it on a couple of setups this past season and like it just fine so far.

I haven't seen any advantage's over power pro yet.

Suffix seems to make more noise when it goes through the guilds and it may cast a little better Ive only used the 30# stuff but will try some more next year.

So for me the jury is still out on this one.

Andrew

I've used suffix since it came out and wont use another braid at the moment. I've used power pro and will never put it on another reel. Suffix doesnt fray like powerpro or have the breakage that powerpro is famous for. Suffix is little more noisy than most braids but just unless it bothers you it wont bother the fish..
Everyone talks about rock these days; the problem is they forget about the roll - Keith Richards

LoonyToon

I have never tried their braid, but their mono from BPS was prety good

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

Mike Cork

Quote from: Andrew on December 14, 2006, 05:41:38 PM
I've used suffix since it came out and wont use another braid at the moment. I've used power pro and will never put it on another reel. Suffix doesnt fray like powerpro or have the breakage that powerpro is famous for. Suffix is little more noisy than most braids but just unless it bothers you it wont bother the fish..

Man I can't help but wonder if you got a bad spool or something. I have had absolutely no trouble with Power Pro. I only use 50 pound, and don't have any experience with the lighter weights. It suprises me that you say it's famous for breaking. :'(

Cork's Reel Service

BIG PAPA

Although I am more than glad to take your advice and try the Suffix, I like Mike am surprised that you have had problems with power pro. I have used it from 20 to 80 with no problems. I do accept the fact that with the lighter lines the breaking point is about equal to mono. After using 65 I did break off a couple of hooksets with 20 till I realized It was just me setting the hook too hard, since then I have had no problem.

Andrew

It was 60 or 65 that i was using. I had two spools of it bought at same time. Both spools would snap easily. I never yank on lures if they are hung up but i do pull very hard on ones that are down deep like jigs that get hung and pp would snap everytime. Never at the knot tho so i know it wasn't that. Where as with stren superbraid which i still use and have on reels other than the suffix would never break. I would end up having to cut the line and lose most of it in the process.. I know alot of people on here use it and also here where i live and they like it. But some on here and here where i live have had breakage problems with pp from reading their posts. Maybe I'll try it again next spring but the first two spools just didn't leave a good impression on me.. I only use the suffix for heavy pitching or flipping. I use the stren superbraid for other lures that require a more round diameter..
Everyone talks about rock these days; the problem is they forget about the roll - Keith Richards

Mike Cork

I remember reading on Ultimate Bass that one of our members was having trouble with Power Pro, no that you mention it again. I haven't though, I have almost ripped cleats off my boat trying to get a jig back and I can honestly say I have never broke it, either the hook will bend or like you said you will have to cut it :'(

If the suffix is working for you and their aren't any advantages to the Power Pro that you want to have, I would stick with what works for you ;)

Cork's Reel Service

Andrew

Quote from: Mike on December 15, 2006, 11:02:59 AMIf the suffix is working for you and their aren't any advantages to the Power Pro that you want to have, I would stick with what works for you ;)

Its working pretty good but like most bass anglers i simply have to try new stuff just to try new stuff  :roll2:....

silversalmon

I think that was me Mike, power pro in the cold salt water up here breaks and breaks easily, not sure why  ???  I do love the casting distance from it, but the torque I need to set the hook on the 20 pounders snaps it and this is with 50 pound, and only in the cold salt.  It is great in the fresh cold but hates the salty cold.  I ahve never tried suffix, wonder how it does in the cold salt  ???  I use tuff line for those excursions now, but the casting on the tuff line is not worth writing home about  ::)

United States Air Force 1994-present

Mike Cork

That is strange SilverSalmon, the density of the salt water is more but I wonder why it causes the line to break so much easier  :o might be a great question to ask the company about.

Cork's Reel Service

Bassonly

I don't break off on Power Pro very often... I broke it once today while flippin in some heavy stumps... and then only because I was trying with everything I had in me. 65 pound braind is pretty stout. I haven't tried Sufix yet, but I plan to soon. I fished with a guy today that was using it and he loved it.
Boone Powell
Fishing is my job and my passion.

hot_rod_mike

now you guys are makein me think... suffix or power pro