Smelled some fumes today

Started by SHRED, February 11, 2007, 08:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHRED

I uncovered my new Lowe 160W today and opened the back hatch (battery access, etc..) and it smelled like fuel a bit.

Is this normal? (my first boat)
It seems to smell under the deck in other hatches also.
It's not overpowering, or all that strong, but I thought I would ask.

Also, does anyone know where the fuel tank is on this boat?
It is a 2005 model and the filler spout is just in front of the cockpit (right side) on the rail.

Thanks

Mike Cork

Minor Fuel vapors are normal, however your boat compartments should be vented :-* Not sure where the fuel tank on that rig is?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

BassBUFF

Not sure about where you're tank is either. But if you had the cover over the tank vent you would be sure to trap that smell in the boat. Let it air out, nothing to fret over :).

SHRED

I spoke with the manufacturer (Lowe) and they are so polite and helpful!!
Found out that it does have plastic fuel tank and the smell is more so with plastic.
He told me about the access ports so I am going to open them and take a look at the connections to double make sure nothing is leaking.

Anyway, I am going to check it out but it appears as if this is not as big of an issue as this nervous, first time boat owner made it out to be.

Fish_myster

When it comes to gas fumes, Better safe than sorry. Just ask as you did and we will help anytime we can. Good luck on your first boat. Now the door is wide open. Catch a bucket full!
ALWAYS remember to check and make sure your plug is in!!!!!!
Safe boating there ol'buddy!
  Proud Father of an American Soldier 
Proud Grandfather of 6!

SHRED

Quote from: Fish_myster on February 13, 2007, 07:53:48 AM
When it comes to gas fumes, Better safe than sorry. Just ask as you did and we will help anytime we can. Good luck on your first boat. Now the door is wide open. Catch a bucket full!
ALWAYS remember to check and make sure your plug is in!!!!!!
Safe boating there ol'buddy!

Thanks so much!!!

I opened up the access panels to the gas tank and fuel lines.
They were just like new and tightly connected.
There was no residue around any of the connections and I ran my hand around them and smelled no gas.

I'll keep an eye on it, but it looks good.

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service