Frustrated baitcaster

Started by Dug, March 08, 2007, 06:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GotstaFish

Quote from: Dug on March 10, 2007, 12:16:16 PM
Got it figured out a lot better this morning.  Papa you were right on the money.    That plus I found I was keeping my thumb on the spool after hitting the release and taking it off to late for an accurate cast.  once I kept my thumb off the spool until i wanted to stop the cast, I stopped going short or  far left.   I also took off all but one brake, and now I get a few more overruns, but nothing I haven't been able to pick out easily.  Now it's just a matter of

PRACTICE
PRACTICE
PRACTICE....

I should have it down by the time spring gets here full on!  Meanwhile I can use the spinning reel and if I need something else there is always the fly rod and reel.

Thanks for all the help guys!! and gals!!

Dug
Come on up here Dug and I'll help you get some practice in. River is getting the big  ~fl this week  ;D

Dug

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

GotstaFish

In the morning if you want  ;D

bennym

Hey Mary Dean ~
I still like my Zebs and Rhinos !  LOL  I spend ALL day catching fish instead of screwing around with backlashes... LOL

Thanks for listening, good fishin'

mary dean

Dug

With the help of Gotstafish (Karl) I was able to figure out what was wrong.  I actually used one of his set ups today with near zero problems.   My Baitcaster was not near as smooth as his. (it's going to visit Mike Cork soon I think)  Also a huge problem for me was fireline crystal was so stiff on my reel it was causing me quite a few problems.   I think i am going to be just fine, as soon as I get some powerpro or Spiderwire stealth on there.
Carl had me put on a heavier lure adjusted my tension and Even with the F* crystal I was doing okay, not great.  On his Curado I was casting well with no backlashing, good distances and he had no brakes set!

Thanks Karl!!

dug

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

-Shawn-

i guess its been too long scince I learned to cast a bait caster. back then all they had was a tension ajustment.  IMHO. When you first start learning, Just start with short tosses 20-30ft dont try to throw it  mile. shawn :)

GotstaFish