Spinning Reel

Started by grplnxprt, February 02, 2005, 08:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grplnxprt

Lookin' to get a new spinning reel...

Anybody have an opinion of the Quantum Energy PT(20)?

Any other suggestions?

Mike Cork

Wow, a whole day went by and no response to spinning reels :-\

I don't use them much and the few I have used are all shimano's. I haven't bought a spinning reel in over 10 years so I really have no idea. Now, my old man loves the engery's by quatum if that is any help.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bass1cpr

Grplnxprt As most know I'm a shimano fan. But the Quantum Energy an Pt spinning reels are really good reels. I've still got my old Daiwa's the reason I bought daiwa was they were  the only one's at the time and in the price range I wanted with a push button folding handle. I really liked this feature because when I put it down I can fold the handle down so it's not sticking up and catching lines form other rods. Also it great for when your putting them in the rod locker. I really like the Quantum PT's the anti reverse is instant no slop and that is one of the main features to look for in the newer spinning reels. The TiMag is great because the bail wire is made from Titanium and won't bend out of shape. The Magnetic bails are truely a great idea no more broken bail springs. IF they put a push button folding handle on them then that will be my next choice for spinnign reels other wise it' will be a shimano. There are several models with pushbutton folding handles and they also have a good instant anti reverse. It's really what fells good in your hand and features you like that will make your final decision. Good luck and I hope this info helps ya .
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

grplnxprt

The Energy PT is only $115 at a store near me. I just don't see anything else in that price range that looks as good.

Has anybody used a Ray Scott Supercaster 225? Is it more for light line finesse stuff or can it handle 8-10 pound line and 5 pound fish just fine?

grplnxprt

Oh... and thanks for the responses guys!

Fishaholic

Spinning reels...used to use the Garcia reels, but they're prone to broken or worn out bail springs; same problem with the Shakespeare reels...they not only have problems with the bail springs, but I've had problems with the bail itself breaking.

Currently, I'm using Shimano spinning reels - got 4 or 5 of em that I use on a regular basis...and they're not even the top of the line reels! But I've caught everything you can catch in Indiana on em, even 30 pound chinooks! They're reliable, durable, easy to maintain, wouldn't ever consider buying a reel from anyone else at this point in my life...I would consider saving up and getting a top-of-the-line reel though.

That's only my opinion...or if you prefer, "That's my story and I'm stickin' to it".

greenkeeperlt

I like the Quantum and they are my spinners of choice. I see them as about $75 cheaper than comparable Shimano. Shimano just takes it to a different level with spinners up to $250.
I FISH....
THEREFORE I AM!

cmegee

Love my Quantum spinning reel, haven't had any problems with mine and have fished them for 4 years now. Hope that helps...

Fishaholic

4 years is a good test of time, been using my Shimano's for over 15 years without a problem! :)

greenkeeperlt

This isnt turning into mines better than yours, is it?
I FISH....
THEREFORE I AM!

Fishaholic

nope...just stating a fact.

for years I swore by Abu Garcia, Shakespeare, Penn, and others...about half of my friends went with Daiwa's and Zebco's and I went with Shimano...none of us went back to the Abu Garcia's, Shakespeare's or other brands...it seems it comes down to a matter of personal preference, but the 3 brands that are still going strong are Shimano, Daiwa and Zebco.

Now there's other "brand names" out there, but who's really making those reels?

Read what people say, good or bad, weigh out what they say against your own convictions, consider the dollars you have to allocate towards the purchase of one or more reels, consider the type of fishing you intend to do with these reels, how abusive are you with your equipment....there's plus's and negative's to every one of em, you have to decide for yourself what's right for you! ...and only you can do that.

I remember some years back buying a reel for what was a lot of money at that time based on what my friends said was the best reel available for bass fishing (I won't divulge the name)...I bought it without feeling it on a rod, without determining if it would be easy to maintain, without determining if it was right for the way I fished at that time...end result: withing 3 months, I sold it to a friend of mine for less than half of what I spent on it, just to get rid of it...

After that, I always purchased my reels from Bass Pro Shops, but, not until I went to a local store and got the feel of it on a rod, looked at the specs and determined based on my own experience whether or not it would be easy to maintain, and checked into manufacturers warranties.

Bottom line is short and sweet - you have to use what's right for you!

cmegee

Have to agree with Fishaholic, its all a matter of personal preference, I like the Quantums, but have friends that swear by Shimano, if they weren't all good reels they still wouldn't be in business.

~shade
But the Quantums are better
;D ;D ;D ;)

Ranger375

Well...shoot...I missed out on starting a "mine is better than yours" thing...I did that once...with boats...wow...that was fun!  ;D

I am one of those Shimano guys as far as the spinning reels...but that is just because I haven't tried anything else and now I don't use spinning reels at all...I still got some though.  I did cast one last fall for some reason...and...well...when I finally reeled in my line from the next county I think I realized it had been a long time.  :shocking:

I agree, find the one that you like the most and get to fishing.  I also agree that testing them first is essential.
"It Ain't all the things that we don't know that causes all the trouble...it's all the things that we DO know that ain't so!"

cmegee

I have two, use one for a drop shot and the other for sinko type baits, tried using Braided on the sinko one, seems to work okay and flourocarbon on the other.
just find one you like and you can't go wrong..

calincalif50

Have a 20 myself.  Love it, but like the rest say"  It's all in the preference"

cmegee

does anyone from the south fish it other than for finesse baits....

Fishaholic

OK I'm not from the South, but just to inform you...I have 3 spinning rigs I usually carry all the time, 1 is medium heavy for worm fishing; 1 is 6' fast taper medium to medium/light for tubes; and, 1 is super ultralite for finesse fishing.

cmegee

Do you find you can fish the worm rod as well as a bait caster and what are the benefits to using a spinning rod for fishing worms? I think I know what you are going to say but for others not fishing this rod its a great tool and I'd like to hear what you have to say on it.

greenkeeperlt

I think the main benefit to using a spinner for wormin is castability. If I could cast a worm as well with a bait caster I would never use a spinner. Part of the factor is I have been using a spinner since I was about 4 yrs old and it is more comfortable and accurate with the really light worms.
I FISH....
THEREFORE I AM!

grplnxprt

Are you three talking about weightless worms, light weight worms, or what?

Fishaholic

Yep...weightless worms...and if it's not something akin to a Senko worm, then there's very little weight! I also fish weightless G-2 tubes, but it's no problem on spinning gear.

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: cmegee on February 07, 2005, 02:33:41 PM
does anyone from the south fish it other than for finesse baits....

I grew up fishing the open-face reels & after moving here to the Shreveport area in 1998 I kept using them for my bass fishing.  I loved them but was often criticize for not using a baitcaster.  I liked them for everything, lite-lures to heavy jig fishing, around boat-docks, pad-field or open water, I used them for everything. I just got in to baitcasters about a year ago & still can skip them under a dock very well, but with my open-face I can skip a lure from  the front to the back or where ever I want it every time.

Fishaholic

I hear you on that one...actually the only reason I have any baitcasters at all is because of 2 areas that I love to fish: one is heavy slop...the slop is so heavy that a Canada goose can walk right on top of it; and the other is extremely heavy snags. In both cases you have to get control of the fish pretty quick and a baitcaster does that a lot better in both those cases.

Ranger375

I think this issue of spinner vs baitcaster is a good one.  I have often wondered if in the hands of experienced users of both is there really a difference.  I know that before baitcasters I could put a lure exactly where I wanted it the way I wanted to.  Then there was a learning curve with the baitcasters and now I have the same experiences.  But truthfully in the right hands I think they will both do what you need...get the lure to the place you want it and get it back again just fine.
"It Ain't all the things that we don't know that causes all the trouble...it's all the things that we DO know that ain't so!"

Fishaholic

I think you're right on the money with that observation!

walnutshoe

Thought I would throw my two cents worth in. I bass fish 99.9% of the time and actually use both spinning and casting tackle on most every trip. I find I can work some baits better with one set up over the other. The spinning tackle is extremely useful on windy days with crankbait, small jerk bait, etc. We have a good population of smallmouth in one of our area lakes and the finesse typpe worms are easier for me to handle on the spinning tackle. The most wieght I use on this set up is 1/16.

To me, the choice comes down to what you feel most comfortable with and have confidence in for a given situation. Lets face it, confidence and concentration are what make great casts and detect the slightest bite.

My opinion, for what its worth.

cmegee

I too grew up using a spinning reel and when i moved to Louisiana I got the cue stick mentallity thrown at me so I went to bait casting primaraly and still use the spinner for light jighead rigged worms and jerkbaits especially soft jerkbaits and floating worms.

Mike Cork

Walnutshoe, you mentioned a very important point here. Confidence is a big factor and if a spinning reel makes you more confident in a particular presentation then definately go with it. Great post ~c~

I use a spinning reel for most of my wacky worm presentations and for split shotting when I feel I need a finesse version of a carolina rig.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Fishaholic

QuoteTo me, the choice comes down to what you feel most comfortable with and have confidence in for a given situation. Lets face it, confidence and concentration are what make great casts and detect the slightest bite.

No truer words were spoken