Spinning Reel

Started by grplnxprt, February 02, 2005, 08:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walnutshoe

Thought I would throw my two cents worth in. I bass fish 99.9% of the time and actually use both spinning and casting tackle on most every trip. I find I can work some baits better with one set up over the other. The spinning tackle is extremely useful on windy days with crankbait, small jerk bait, etc. We have a good population of smallmouth in one of our area lakes and the finesse typpe worms are easier for me to handle on the spinning tackle. The most wieght I use on this set up is 1/16.

To me, the choice comes down to what you feel most comfortable with and have confidence in for a given situation. Lets face it, confidence and concentration are what make great casts and detect the slightest bite.

My opinion, for what its worth.

cmegee

I too grew up using a spinning reel and when i moved to Louisiana I got the cue stick mentallity thrown at me so I went to bait casting primaraly and still use the spinner for light jighead rigged worms and jerkbaits especially soft jerkbaits and floating worms.

Mike Cork

Walnutshoe, you mentioned a very important point here. Confidence is a big factor and if a spinning reel makes you more confident in a particular presentation then definately go with it. Great post ~c~

I use a spinning reel for most of my wacky worm presentations and for split shotting when I feel I need a finesse version of a carolina rig.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Fishaholic

QuoteTo me, the choice comes down to what you feel most comfortable with and have confidence in for a given situation. Lets face it, confidence and concentration are what make great casts and detect the slightest bite.

No truer words were spoken