Production Plastics pot

Started by BandDCustomLures, March 18, 2007, 09:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandDCustomLures

If anyone is pouring qtys. of soft plastics and wants a larger pot.Pick up a Fry Daddy and you can modify it to pour and use a inexpensive drill press to use as a stirring motor.I'll find a set of How To instructions and post if intrested

ArizonaJeff

I would be interested if you could get the how to instructions. Thanks

BandDCustomLures

Use the Presto Pots for  pours.  Use the pot along with a drill press with a paint mixer to keep the glitter, colorant, and salt mixed throughly.
Have one pot for each color of glitter which makes it easier to keep from cross contamination when you change the baits color/glitter.

Although the Presto has a six quart capacity, don't put in more than 2 quarts of plastic to keep from having a splatter mess. I also make a throw away cover out of cardboard to avoid the mess and getting splatterd with hot plastic.  Normally pour around 500 Senko style baits at a time.

If you want to modify a Presto pot, you'll need to drill a 7/16 inch hole on the BOTTOM at the outter edge to avoid damaging the heating element. Then use a 1/4 X 18 NPT tap to thread the hole. Install a 1/4 inch ball valve with a male end for the pot. You're ready to pour. If you're not in the modification mode, you can buy one already modified at Ozark Tackle.

When pouring, you will probably have the valve clog when first starting. I use a metal rod to push through the valve to open it up. After that, the valve normally doesn't clog anymore. You'll find that you don't have to open the valve very much for the best pouring resluts.

Hope this helps!

ArizonaJeff

That helps greatly thanks, but I have a couple of questions. In your picture I assume the "gold" valve in the front is what you added to where the plastic comes out. I also assume that in the picture you are showing an aluminium mold standing upright waiting for a pour. Is that correct? You also mention a different pot for each color of glitter, but wouldn't you want it for each color of plastic instead? I mean if I had a pot for silver glitter and want to pour a watermelon w/ silver glitter and pumpkin w/ silver would I want I different pot for each color, instead of a different pot for each color of glitter? Please excuse my ignorance, I am new to this bulk concept. 

hesjustbassin

That is a killer idea.  ~c~ Beats my 6 microwaves around the garage.  '-{
'Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting the different results' Albert Einstein.

BandDCustomLures

Yes on the aluminum mold.As far a glitter go's.If your not doing mass qty's. just use the same pot and clean thourhly after each run.
The reason about the glitter is that is is hard to get it completey clean of glitter(so small) and you don't want to cont. the plastic.

If any one here decides to want to try and market thier soft plastics give us a shout and we may pick you up as a supplier to get you running until you can test the waters on your own.

ArizonaJeff

Quote from: BandDCustomLures on March 19, 2007, 10:15:39 AM

If any one here decides to want to try and market thier soft plastics give us a shout and we may pick you up as a supplier to get you running until you can test the waters on your own.

Thanks.

Can you expound on this a little more?

ArizonaJeff

Is it reccommended to get a "pot" that has adjutable temp? I would think so or am I wrong?

BandDCustomLures

Yes you are correct!!!!!! ~c~
That way you can regulate.Now don't tell your wife I gave you directions on modifing her cooker!
I don't want her mad at me  :'(

As for the other ?
I know how hard it is to get out there and get products on the market and it takes alot of time and $$$$$$$$!
I wish I found a company that would have sold my product right off the bat to save me the  :bang and $$$$

If a member here is trying to get started pouring and wants to try to market it .I will be happy to help market for them to get them going.I'll I will need is a sample to do the photography with and to make sure the quality is were it needs to be.

ArizonaJeff

To late,  ::) maybe that is why I didn't get dinner tonite. :o

Thanks I will keep that in mind. ~c~

BandDCustomLures

I forgot to mention to help aid in mixing and keeping color correct through the pouring .Use an cheap drill press or a hand drill mounted above the pot and attach a metal paint stirring rod to the drill/press and adjust the speed accordinly

ArizonaJeff

Quote from: BandDCustomLures on March 20, 2007, 07:26:31 AM
I forgot to mention to help aid in mixing and keeping color correct through the pouring .Use an cheap drill press or a hand drill mounted above the pot and attach a metal paint stirring rod to the drill/press and adjust the speed accordinly

I am in the process of setting up my "kitchen". I started to think instead of a drill press or hand mounted drill, how about a variable speed mixer? I know you don't want to incorporate to much air, but I figured if I cut off all but the center and one blade, and set it on the lowest speed it would mix, but not incorporate to much air. Thoughts?

hesjustbassin

Quote from: azsportsman on March 24, 2007, 10:50:07 PM
I am in the process of setting up my "kitchen". I started to think instead of a drill press or hand mounted drill, how about a variable speed mixer? I know you don't want to incorporate to much air, but I figured if I cut off all but the center and one blade, and set it on the lowest speed it would mix, but not incorporate to much air. Thoughts?

I think that that would work fine. It's definitely one of those balancing acts. Too much and you get air, and too little and the salt and flake will settle out.
'Insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting the different results' Albert Einstein.

ArizonaJeff

That"s what I figured. It might take a few pours to get it just right but in the long run I think it will be quicker and easier and cheaper.