Slot limit for Cypress?

Started by bassadict69, February 11, 2005, 10:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassadict69

We fished the north end of Cypress today for about 2 hours.(No...We never got a bite) When we pulled out there was a game warden sitting in his truck at the launch. I got to talking to him & he told me the LDWF was considering removing the slot from Black Bayou & putting the 14-17 inch slot on Cypress. He said that from recent shockings on both lakes, it showed more, bigger fish on Cypress than Black Bayou.
  He told me of one spot on Cypress that they shock everytime they go out & it consistently pulls up large numbers of 5-10 pound bass. I may have to try that spot Sunday if B/B don't pan out!  ;D

As far as white perch, he said there is NO reason everyone fishing for them shouldn't be limiiting out. He said the last couple of times showed the largest numbers of crappie that they had seen in a long time.

Ron Fogelson

:-\  OK  I'm dieing to know about 5 & 10 pound bass on Cypress, lets have it brother   ~cf

Mike Cork

Hmmm, the lake with out the slot has bigger fish in, go figure. Well then lets make sure we destroy it before it gets to good and move the slot to the lake with the bigger fish. Wouldn't want anyone to catch a hawg

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Mike Noble

That is sort of strange.  In my discussions with the LDWF biologist, he has told me that the ONLY lake they consider the slot limit to be successful is Black Bayou Benton.  If that is true, why would they consider removing it when we can't get them to remove it anywhere else...or at least we haven't achieved that yet.  And my next question for them is that if Cypress is doing SO WELL without a slot....why screw it up.  I'm going to email James Seales on Monday and ask him about it.

As far as the sac-a-lait (crappie), Mike C. and I were talking about them a couple of weeks ago.  There don't seem to be the numbers the last couple of years that there use to be.  It will be interesting to see what the spring brings.
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

Mike Noble

Okay...I just got off the phone with the LDWF biologist and according to him there have been NO discussions concerning this.  Wildlife and Fisheries have NO intention of taking the slot off of Black, nor putting a slot on Cypress.

He also said that if the Cypress/Black Bayou folks are thinking about this; then they have NOT approached LDWF.  And ONLY Wildlife and Fisheries can do this.

I also asked him about the white perch/crappie/sac-a-lait.  He said that the "shocking" usually does not produce many sac-a-lait, but they have run nets the past couple of years and it did show good quantities of sac-a-lait.

I hope this helps.
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

bassadict69

:-\ I wonder where the game warden was getting his info from that he told me about. Hmmm?

Ron Fogelson

Ok BA, you still haven't told about the 10 pounders & the tournament is over so when ever your ready to share I'm all ears!   ;D

All so just a thought,  are you sure it was a LDWF guy and not a local cypress/Black patrol, just wondering.

Fogy

Mike Noble

I was wondering that too...were you talking to a LDWF agent or a Cypress/Black Bayou officer?
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

bassadict69

He was LDWF in the green truck.

Mike Noble

Thanks.  I think he was on something...  lo  According the biologist, its not going to happen.
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM

bassadict69

Glad to hear that! Although  wouldn't mind them removing the slot on B/B!

Mike Noble

That is NOT going to happen either.  The only thing he mentioned about the slot on Black Bayou was..."if" the fishermen and LDWF wanted bigger fish in Black Bayou, then the slot could be increased or raised.
Life is a B........each!

Ask me about PROTANDIM