Spreading topsoil...

Started by imp81318, April 12, 2007, 02:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imp81318

Ok, I am interested in some opinions of the more experienced with yard work around here since I have only been in my house a few years... How long should I reasonably expect to take to spread 10 cubic yards of topsoil?  :-\ I am putting about 2" over my front yard. It is getting delivered tonight and I am trying to decide whether I should take off work tomorrow to be able to get it spread by Saturday night when more  ~rain comes.... Or, if I stand no chance, maybe it isn't even worth trying for that, I really have no idea. I know alot of people have told me that 10 cu yds is alot, but I have never had dirt delivered before, so I really have no idea.... How bad a spot did I get myself into here?

Wristpin1

That's alot of dirt......It will take you days to do it by hand.  :bang To do it in one day you'll need to rent a Bobcat.  Make sure to ask the delivery guy to leave the dirt in several smaller piles to make the spreading easier!

My neighbor (an expert Cat operator) and I spread, raked out and seeded 16 yards in 7 hours.  The Cat is the dealio!  ~gator

topcat

You will need to rent a spreader...like wristpin said......a shovel will take 4 days or more working 8 hrs a day    ~sweat     .......

Topcat

YANKEM_OUT

i would just rent a tractor with a 6 foot box blade and you could get it knocked out in an hour or so...that should only be about a half a dump truck load aint it??

WWW.MONAVIE.COM

BIG PAPA

10 cubic yards really is not that much dirt if it is not hard or chunky. As a landscaper i do this on a very regular basis. and would expect 2 men to take about 3-4 hours with a wheel barrow and shovels. I have many , many times done 5-7 yards with a shovel and wheelbarrow and rake starting around 8 and be through by 12. I now use a tractor but did it by hand for many years. Did 2 cubic yards today in a spot I could not use a tractor spreading compost in about 1 hour and a half from start to finish. not really that big of a deal just set a pace and work early before it gets too hot. Of course it is a lot easier if someone is paying you to do it. lo
papa

basser_jim

10 cubic yards = how many tons???? I am used to that measurement.... if its good screened topsoil and gets dumped in more than one pile, it shouldn't be too bad.....

and if you do rent a cat, make sure you don't make more work for yourself by tearing up other areas..... but I really don't think you need it......my work partner and myself can easily spread 20+ tons of dirt in a day

imp81318

Thanks for the input guys. I am getting (or trying to get) 10 cu yds of screened topsoil delivered. Most places I have talked to equate about 1 ton per cu. yd, so it is about 10 tons of topsoil. A typical triaxle dump seems to be about 20 cu. yds or 20 tons, so I am looking at either half a truck load, or some places have said they will just use 2 smaller trucks to deliver it. Either way, as long as I get my dirt I'll be happy.

I will be spreading it by myself (maybe with the wife's help too) with shovel and wheelbarrow. I thought about renting a bobcat, but I just kinda think it will be a bit more hassle than it is worth. I'll give you a little background here:

The previous owners had the entire front yard of the house turned into a flower bed, which I am sure was beautiful at the time, but my wife and I aren't into weeding, and the house sat empty for a few years, so it was badly overgrown when we moved it, so we just cleared the brush and planted grass seed. Well, since it was a flower bed before, they have a landscape fabric down over the entire front yard, with very rich "potting soil" a few inches thick, and then crushed red stone that almost looks like brick. So the grass seed didn't really take well because of the stone covering the dirt (although it is great quality dirt for sure above the fabric), and you can't really walk around the front yard without shoes on because of the rocks everywhere, and the rocks/dirt are very loose, and when I try to backup my tractor while mowing, the wheels throw stones under the deck, which ends up shooting them all over the place, and it is just generally annoying.

Now, back to why I don't think a bobcat/tractor would be worthwhile... I am only putting about 2" of soil over the entire front yard, but there are obsticles: The right side of the yard is bordered by a split-rail fence that seperates the yard from the driveway with a small rosebush centered between the posts; the front of the yard is bordered by the road on a sharp, fairly blind bend for drivers; the back of the yard is bordered by a row of bushes along the front porch; and the left side is bordered by a row of high bushes seperating the front yard from the back yard. The yard tapers from right to left, kinda like a triangle, and it is 42' along the fence, and 62' from the fence to the opposite "tip" fo the triangle. Oh yeah, there is also a big (6' Diameter) tree in the middle of the yard with a flower bed built around its base.

Quote from: papa on April 12, 2007, 11:14:45 PM
not really that big of a deal just set a pace and work early before it gets too hot.

It has been in the 40's to low 50's all week here, so I don't think that will be a problem there Papa

iceman

Covering up the rocks is not got to solvoe your problem it will come back over time as the frost will bring them back to the top..

like papa had said 10 yards is not that much just don't over do it and it will get done in no time flat..
Jon Chapman
NAIFC Pro Staff
F.H.N.B~