Deerpoint Lake - Panama City

Started by Swede, April 22, 2007, 08:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swede

Fished Destin Bass Pro's Panhandle Tournament Trail tourney on Deerpoint yesterday.  I had never fished this lake in all my years of living in this area.  The lake is on the NW side of Panama City so my partner and I drove over on Saturday morning.  Our plan was just to go fishing and see what we found.  On our first stop I missed one keeper on a small swim bait off a deep weed line.  My partner caught our first keeper on a brush hog - small but one in the boat.  Things got slow - the wind picked up on the west side so we moved to the east side and found some more grass to work.  I put the second keeper in the boat on a 4 inch V&M black grape finesse worm while my partner put the next three in the boat for a limit.  We each then culled one and decided to head back to the west side as the winds had died somewhat.  We each caught one there that culled one in the livewell before heading in for weigh-in.  Found the day slow for most.  Weighed in 7lbs 4ozs.  Finished 5th overall.  Brush hogs, CBs, and finesse worms nailed all our fish.  First place was our very own BMiles - he weighed a good sack - 13+ pounds to take the win - congrats to him - I heard spinnerbaits was the key to his bigger bite - 6.5 pound kicker.  Not sure how many boats in this one - guessing 20-30.  Water was clear, but had slight murkiness on the east side.  May have been key to the fish biting better there earlier in the day. 

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=30.315534&lon=-85.570351&z=13.5&r=0&src=ggl - Lake Imagery

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=30.293535&lon=-85.582727&z=15.2&r=0&src=ggl - Launch Site
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small.
Rascal Flatts

BMiles

Thanks for the plug however, we got beat out by just a few ounces on 1st place and big fish for the Bass Pro Shop Tournament Trail and finished 2nd in that tournament.  We did, however take 1st place and big fish in the 3rd Annual Mosley Touchdown club tounament that was held at the same location and would have taken 1st and big fish in the Dear Point Tournament Trail had we entered that one.  I did take individual 1st place and  big fish in the Hub City Bassmasters monthly tournament.  We were fishing 3 tournaments at the same time (should have been 4).  All but 1 fish came 1st thing in the morning in shallow water around trees on the lake.  After the sun came up and the wind died down our bite went away.  Also lost a couple of 3+ fish at the boat on the same pattern early that morning.  White was the color of choice on boat spinnerbaits and chatter-baits.   This is one lake I've always disliked due to the clear water and thick summer grass but I actually enjoyed it Saturday.
Congrats on your 5th place finish.   ~c~   There were a lot of zeroed teams that day so you can tell a lot of people couldn't find a pattern.

Swede

You hauled in a good sack Bob - sorry to hear abotu missing out on first place.  FLFedAngler has the pics up - here they are.

http://www.aroundthetournamenttrail.com/BPSPANHANDLETRAIL.html
My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small.
Rascal Flatts