Are baitcasters inherently more senstive than spinning outfits?

Started by buckdawg, May 18, 2007, 06:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckdawg

Recent windy days and a cold snap moving through has put the kabosh on fishing for me for the last couple days so I've had too much time on my hands.  I got to thinking that the design of the baitcasting setup probably allows you to "feel" a little better and here's my reasoning:

1. line memory and twist is virtually non-existent on the baitcaster.  all the little loops you get on a spinning outfit are extra line so the slightest bump on the lure may get lost on it's way to the rod tip.  baitcasters come off with very little to no loops so the amount of line is less between you and the lure.  I'm basing this on my experience with regular ole Trilene XL

2. the way the line is 'draped' over the tip on a baitcaster puts it in direct contact with the rod tip all the time.  while on the spinning outfit it is hanging loosely virtually all the time hence the chance to miss strikes.

again, i really don't know what i'm talking about i'm just throwing this out there and seeing what you guys think.  i really have too much time on my hands!  lol

thanks!

-Shawn-

I feel like I have a better feel with a baitcaster myself.

Creel Limit Zero

I feel the same way for the reasons you listed, as well as there are typically many more eyelits on a baitcaster vs. a spinning outfit.  That being said, the right set up on a spinning outfit, including low memory line, can be just as sensitive as a baitcaster, if not more.  I suppose that's why they can be real great set up for drop shotting...

OHbassaholic

I am in agreement, buckdawg.  I know personally, I get better feel with baitcasters.

SkeeterBoy

I just don't like spinning outfits period.  Too much of a hassle, line twists, etc.  I have moved to exclusively baitcasters for all of my bass fishing.  The only time I'm not using a baitcasting setup is on an occasional crappie fishing trip or Ice fishing trip and I will use an ultralight spinning combo.
Chris

We Are........ Marshall
Go Herd!!!!!

bassn1

You can also say that the distance the stike detection has to travel is shorter.
  Baitcaster - almost no travel between reel and rod.
  Spinning reel - Has to travel from reel, the length of the reel connection and then to the rod.
  JMHO

"Success is a Journey. Not a destination".

buckdawg

Quote from: SkeeterBoy on May 18, 2007, 11:03:54 AM
I just don't like spinning outfits period.  Too much of a hassle, line twists, etc.  I have moved to exclusively baitcasters for all of my bass fishing.  The only time I'm not using a baitcasting setup is on an occasional crappie fishing trip or Ice fishing trip and I will use an ultralight spinning combo.

i'm thinking that i'm going to move in the same direction.  the only thing i worry about is throwing weightless.  i'm pretty new at baitcasting and i worry about things being too light.  i do have a 1/8 oz t-rig on one of my baitcasters that i like real well.

Creel Limit Zero

I'm 90% baitcasting, but you shouldn't go exclusive.  For finesse situations, a spinning combo is better than baitcasting.  You may still be able to cast an 1/8 ounce lure with a baitcaster rod, but it's not as efficient, and forget about skipping a light weightless plastic.  That's just not going to happen without a bunch of professional overruns, I don't care how educated your thumb is...  Skipping senkos, tubes, creatures, those can be done with baitcaster's efficiently, but very light weight plastics, I am unable to do that well... 

SkeeterBoy

Quote from: Creel Limit Zero on May 18, 2007, 12:05:50 PM
I'm 90% baitcasting, but you shouldn't go exclusive.  For finesse situations, a spinning combo is better than baitcasting.  You may still be able to cast an 1/8 ounce lure with a baitcaster rod, but it's not as efficient, and forget about skipping a light weightless plastic.  That's just not going to happen without a bunch of professional overruns, I don't care how educated your thumb is...  Skipping senkos, tubes, creatures, those can be done with baitcaster's efficiently, but very light weight plastics, I am unable to do that well... 

If there are techniques that I can't do with a baitcaster then I don't do them.  However, I am yet to find one.  I'm not much of a finesse fisherman anyway.  About as finesse as I get is a small tube bait on a 1/16 oz. jig head or a weightless zoom trick worm and I can fish both methods just fine with my Daiwa Vientos.  I also don't understand why some folks say that you must fish a drop shot rig on a spinning setup.  I've been fishing them on my baitcasting setups for years.  Sorry for the rant. I just feel as though I can do everything with my baitcasting rigs as I can a spinning reel with less problems and frustrations.  If I can't then I won't use that particular technique.  Just my .02.
Chris

We Are........ Marshall
Go Herd!!!!!

Andrew

I use spinning reels for all my finesse fishing. Dropshots and shakey heads mainly. I don't get near the same sensitivity with a baitcaster on these lure setups. Course you need a high quality spinning rod just like a high quality baitcasting rod to get good sensitivity. I use the crucial drop shot rods and they are great. I've yet to have the same feel and sensitivity on baitcasting rods that i do with spinning rods in these situations even with high quality baitcasting rods. There really is no answer to the question tho its just all opinion on what each person prefers.
Everyone talks about rock these days; the problem is they forget about the roll - Keith Richards

Team9nine

I tend to side more along the lines of Andrew's thoughts. Different setups, different applications. On a strict comparison basis though, if you built 2 rods, one baitcaster and one spinning, both from the same blank and only tested for sensitivity, I'd have to think that the spinning rod would ultimately be the most sensitive of the two, even if barely because;

1- You could build the spinning rod lighter (which would increase sensitivity)

2- You could build the spinning rod with a Tennessee-type handle so you could absolutely place the reel anywhere on the blank for perfect balance and feel, and

3- Since the reel hangs under the rod, it naturally allows for a lighter grip and better balance. You're not having to "work" to keep the reel on top of the rod like you do with a baitcaster.

Just my .02 worth

-T9

OutdoorFrontiers

Sensitivity has NOTHING to do with the type of reel, it has everything to do with the quality and construction of the rod and the type of line used. 

Whether the reel is nearer (baitcasting) or farther (spinning) from the rod also has nothing to do with what you feel.  By the time the "signal" from the line has reached the reel, you should have felt it long before, transmitted through the rod.

Whether the guides are on top of the blank or on the bottom to has little to do with sensitivity either.  A good rod will have transmitted the signal down the blank from the time the vibration in the line has hit the tip guide and the first eye.  In fact, with a good baitcasting rod, the line should never touch the rod unless the rod is really stressed.

A good low-stretch line will do wonders for sensitivity.  That's one of the reasons I hate mono line and use PowerPro exclusively, the stretch factor.  No stretch equals incredible feel.

It's been my experience as a rodbuilder and multi-species guide that when I want the utmost in sensitivity to feel light bites, I grab my spinning rods.  As Team9nine states, a lighter rod is more sensitive (all other things being equal) than one that is heavier.  90% of the time, spinning rods are lighter than baitcasting rods.

Fishing rods and reels are tools, and there's a time and place for every tool.  To say "If I can't use my baitcaster with a technique, then I won't do it" simply means there are times and places where you could be catching fish and aren't.

And sure, you can use a baitcaster to dropshot or shakeyhead, just as you can use a crescent wrench to drive a nail.  But you're not using the right tool for the job.

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Creel Limit Zero

Quote from: OutdoorFrontiers on May 18, 2007, 04:49:04 PM
And sure, you can use a baitcaster to dropshot or shakeyhead, just as you can use a crescent wrench to drive a nail.  But you're not using the right tool for the job.
Steve
Love that, going to use that if you don't mind.   ~c~  :-*  ;)

OutdoorFrontiers

Quote from: Creel Limit Zero on May 18, 2007, 07:28:34 PM
  Love that, going to use that if you don't mind.   ~c~  :-*  ;)

LOL, go for it!  Just give me credit once in a while....   ;)

Steve

Barry Nelson

just to add a comment......if your having that much trouble with line memory, your either not changing line often enough or not fishing enough  lo

buckdawg

Quote from: Barry Nelson on May 18, 2007, 10:17:04 PM
just to add a comment......if your having that much trouble with line memory, your either not changing line often enough or not fishing enough  lo

yeah.  when i spooled earlier this year I had no idea what i was doing so i know there's some twist in there.

-Shawn-

Sensitivity has NOTHING to do with the type of reel, it has everything to do with the quality and construction of the rod and the type of line used. 

Whether the reel is nearer (baitcasting) or farther (spinning) from the rod also has nothing to do with what you feel.  By the time the "signal" from the line has reached the reel, you should have felt it long before, transmitted through the rod.

Whether the guides are on top of the blank or on the bottom to has little to do with sensitivity either.  A good rod will have transmitted the signal down the blank from the time the vibration in the line has hit the tip guide and the first eye.  In fact, with a good baitcasting rod, the line should never touch the rod unless the rod is really stressed.

A good low-stretch line will do wonders for sensitivity.  That's one of the reasons I hate mono line and use PowerPro exclusively, the stretch factor.  No stretch equals incredible feel.

It's been my experience as a rodbuilder and multi-species guide that when I want the utmost in sensitivity to feel light bites, I grab my spinning rods.  As Team9nine states, a lighter rod is more sensitive (all other things being equal) than one that is heavier.  90% of the time, spinning rods are lighter than baitcasting rods.

Fishing rods and reels are tools, and there's a time and place for every tool.  To say "If I can't use my baitcaster with a technique, then I won't do it" simply means there are times and places where you could be catching fish and aren't.

Steve

Steve, I love reading your post.  lo lo

coldfront

Quote from: OutdoorFrontiers on May 18, 2007, 04:49:04 PMAnd sure, you can use a baitcaster to dropshot or shakeyhead, just as you can use a crescent wrench to drive a nail.  But you're not using the right tool for the job.

Speaking of which, I was using my 7 foot medium Shimano Crucial Drop Shot rod this weekend to toss weightless 5" senkos for bass at this little lake I know...
on 10 pound XL (Shimano Curado)...typically love this set up for my crankbaits (smaller stuff)...got a few hits...had a few fish get off...with this outfit, just didn't have the backbone to drive the hook in on some of the bigger fish...

Was fishing in cover/rocks...lost two...one was a real magnum...ended up with quite a few that made the trip over the gunwales and back into the water...with a handful of 18-19 inchers ...

Love this set up...fishes weightless plastics(senkos, flukes, trick worms etc), small/medium cranks, stick baits and drop shots...going to spool up some flouro and try it out tomorrow though...think the physics of the flouro might make a big difference in feel...

But to the point of tools...figure had I been tossing those senkos on my MH rods with 14# XL I'd have driven the point home a bit better.

Still, beautiful day and lots of fun with my daughter...(watching her try to subdue one 19 inch bass was a hoot...)...

Sorry Steve, apparently just too much cro magnon in me... ;D

Stump bumper

I agree with the sensitivity is in the rod. I have to plug spinning reels now that night fishing is here. I like light rods and spinning rods at night. I don't pick up a baitcaster after dark. I had a patner throw two in the lake last year and he was the calm one. ;)
Beaver Lake  Arkansas

Warpath

I could be wrong,but somewherealong this journey I heard a pro angler say that spinning rods are typically more sensitive because the line has more contact with the eyes of the rod because they were located under the rod.  It seemed to make sense. 

I also find myself studying Steve's responses.  I think they are full of great insight, usually with a good dose of humor.  Thanks Steve!

Eric

-Shawn-

Quote from: Warpath on May 20, 2007, 03:38:24 AM
I could be wrong,but somewherealong this journey I heard a pro angler say that spinning rods are typically more sensitive because the line has more contact with the eyes of the rod because they were located under the rod.  It seemed to make sense. 

I also find myself studying Steve's responses.  I think they are full of great insight, usually with a good dose of humor.  Thanks Steve!

Eric

they are def. fulll of insight. and very straight forward.  ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

islandbass

Steve

I will break from the group consensus and agree with Steve. I tried DS with a casting set up just for kicks and immediately discovered it was not ideal in getting the bait to fall as a spinning rod does even if the bc reel is still in freespool it still sucks for 3/16 oz and less.  Don't get me wrong. I see both reels as tools and use them accordingly. I don't suffer from line twist or the other pitfalls with spinning reels because I am lucky! Seriously, I just stay on top of it so that the problems don't occur.
ARX - IB's Daughter on BC Reels:
"Papi! I like this reel. It is so much easier to use than the other one (the spinning reel) and it is more fun to use too." Now all I can say to that is this;
"That's my little girl!"

coldfront

thought about this some more...will try again:

If I'm pulling a spinnerbait or a crankbait with 'constant' tension...I don't think there's a difference...

But, if I'm working a jig or plastic across the bottom, I 'get better feel' from baitcasting equipment...and I'm not sure why...perhaps it has to do with the spinning rods typically having softer action and fishing lighter lines?  (not as stiff, dense to transmit the subtle 'ticks')...probably why a lot of those walleye guys use fireline on their spinning gear...to overcome the issues...

OutdoorFrontiers

But, if I'm working a jig or plastic across the bottom, I 'get better feel' from baitcasting equipment...and I'm not sure why...perhaps it has to do with the spinning rods typically having softer action and fishing lighter lines?  (not as stiff, dense to transmit the subtle 'ticks')...probably why a lot of those walleye guys use fireline on their spinning gear...to overcome the issues...

LOL, you're just fishing with the wrong spinning tackle!  My rod of choice is a St. Croix Legend Elite, 7' medium light power with an extra-fast action.  This rod has plenty of backbone and the sensitivity is unmatched.

I use spinning gear when conditions and technique warrant.  For me, that's open water, relatively snag free conditions with lures 1/4 oz. or less and light line, or any time I need sensitivity in my tackle for finesse applications.

If I'm fishing heavy cover where I need heavy line, or heavy lures, or need to be able to put a lot of pressure on a fish, I use baitcasting.

Steve

coldfront

Quote from: OutdoorFrontiers on May 20, 2007, 09:36:44 PM

LOL, you're just fishing with the wrong spinning tackle!  My rod of choice is a St. Croix Legend Elite, 7' medium light power with an extra-fast action.  This rod has plenty of backbone and the sensitivity is unmatched.

I use spinning gear when conditions and technique warrant.  For me, that's open water, relatively snag free conditions with lures 1/4 oz. or less and light line, or any time I need sensitivity in my tackle for finesse applications.

If I'm fishing heavy cover where I need heavy line, or heavy lures, or need to be able to put a lot of pressure on a fish, I use baitcasting.

Steve

perhaps....okay, probably... ~shade  :bang ;D