What are you fishing with?

Started by kryonkid, May 22, 2007, 11:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kryonkid

I have been having very good luck with the lizards and a split shot set up. I have been using the 6 inch 3x strike king watermelon and pumpkin seed colors. I just got my RMA pass today and was just wanting to know what you guys have been throwing at them. I haven't had much luck on the crank bates/ rattle traps or spinners. I you guy got any suggestions I would love to hear from you. Thanks, Jeremiah

WSBC

I don't usually have much luck with spinners until mid June.   Early year I always use plastics off the bottom.  Either a bungee hawg, a stick bait, finesse worm, or a curly tail worm always catch fish.  Color doesn't seem to matter much.   Just throw it in, wait, jiggle, wait, set the hook, repeat.
Wiley X Pro Staff
Parasite Weights Pro Staff
Leena Lures Pro Staff
St. Croix Rods Pro Staff
Power Pro Pro Staff

HogMaster

I just have one thing to say!  SENKO!!!!   5" Watermelon/Blk & Gold flake!!  Like line! 
HOGS ARE MY BUSINESS!! AND BUINESS IS GOOD!

TxT

I have to agree with Hogmaster.  Senko... any color, even white.  I've had good luck with all this spring but fish most with Grn Pmkn with black flk.

I've caught one on x-rap, one on pop-r and none on spinners.  So, Senko, Senko, Senko!

kryonkid

Right on guys thanks for the info. ill have to give them a try, and post some pictures after this weekend at RMA.

Bob7830

How are you guys fishing your senkos?  I usually texas rig them with no weight, but have had no luck with that out here in Colorado.  Are you using weights to get them down?  Wacky rigged in the center?
thanks,
bob

HogMaster

Just on a 3/0 or 4/0 offset no weight!  Only Wacky rigging it they are on beds.  Also in deep water I have had success early season when water temp is below 50 Carolina rigging them. 

TxT

Quote from: Bob7830 on May 23, 2007, 05:06:28 PM
How are you guys fishing your senkos?  I usually texas rig them with no weight, but have had no luck with that out here in Colorado.  Are you using weights to get them down?  Wacky rigged in the center?
thanks,
bob

Bob,

I'm fishing them Texas Rig weightless.  I've been just nailing the bass the last four weeks with the exception of today.  I was talking to a guy today and he wasn't burying the hook in the senko.  He was going to try it.  He had the eye of the hook exposed above the senko.  Mine only has the fishing line coming out of the senko.  Hope this helps.

TxT

Farmer Ted

I also fish my senkos texas rigged with no weight. I actually just 'skin' the point of the hook so that it sets easier. I've rigged the senkos either over the eye of the hook or to the eye...six in one/ half dozen the other. There are some good videos on GY's site about rigging senkos and other soft plastics. Follow the link below. I actually use Wave Industries 'Tiki Worms' more than senkos anymore.

http://videos.baits.com/

Other than that I've been using a BPS walkin' dog topwater (a rip off of the Lucky Craft Sammy), Various large rapala like floaters (Storm Thunder Stick) spinnerbiats, Texas rigged plastic worms (manns hard nose or roboworm) and my pegged weight texas rigged tubes.

As things get in to summer I really only use a half a dozen lures...Spinnerbait, buzzbait, senko, plastic worm, topwater plug, large rapala. I also got a Megabait Charlie swimbait that I'm going to try out this summer. I do like to expirement though and we'll see what I can come up with as time goes on.

I'd probably use cranks more if I had a deep, non-weedy pond to throw them in...lord knows I have enough of them that just sit around.

The Milky Way
              is a character in my play

Catch and release largemouth and smallmouth bass!!!!

mkorpal

I'm sorry, I asked this a while ago in another thread but didn't get an answer. Are Senkos considered artificial bait. I'm not sure if the salt in them can be as artificial or not. I know it's a most likely stupid question, but I need to know by tomorrow because I plan on hitting Quincy in the morning. I'm not sure if that's a good idea with all the rain, but it's the only chance I'm going to get for a long time.

TxT

Quote from: mkorpal on May 23, 2007, 09:37:29 PM
I'm sorry, I asked this a while ago in another thread but didn't get an answer. Are Senkos considered artificial bait. I'm not sure if the salt in them can be as artificial or not. I know it's a most likely stupid question, but I need to know by tomorrow because I plan on hitting Quincy in the morning. I'm not sure if that's a good idea with all the rain, but it's the only chance I'm going to get for a long time.

mkopal,

Yamamota's Senkos are salt impregnated and therefore are not allowed in "Lure and Artificial Baits" only lakes, which Quincy is one.  The only plastics that I've found that are not salt impregnated are some at Sportman's Warehouse called Fresh Water Basics.  They are kinda like power worms.  Other than those, you will have to get hand poured from what I understand.

Hope this helps.

mkorpal

Quote from: TxT_Plant on May 23, 2007, 10:15:55 PM
mkopal,

Yamamota's Senkos are salt impregnated and therefore are not allowed in "Lure and Artificial Baits" only lakes, which Quincy is one.  The only plastics that I've found that are not salt impregnated are some at Sportman's Warehouse called Fresh Water Basics.  They are kinda like power worms.  Other than those, you will have to get hand poured from what I understand.

Hope this helps.

Yes, that helps a ton. I don't know what I'll do then. The weather is pretty poor and I have a ton of stuff to do, so I think I'll put off on a return trip to Quincy for another day. Thanks a bunch

Wildcat26

I have several hundred different baits. Most of them seldom are used.  I have recently decided I am going to stop buying every new bait that comes along and concentrate on the lures that I know I can catch fish on and consider myself to be good with.

Cranks, spinnerbaits, a number of plastics free floated, Texas or Carolina,  and selected top water baits. These baits work for me and that is what I am going to stick with.

HogMaster

I found the place for Quincy baits!  They make everything!!  And I have been killing fish on them at Quincy!
try them out, they pour custom per order.  You just have to let him know not to sent them.

http://www.snakebite.net/

TxT

Quote from: HogMaster on May 24, 2007, 09:27:48 AM
I found the place for Quincy baits!  They make everything!!  And I have been killing fish on them at Quincy!
try them out, they pour custom per order.  You just have to let him know not to sent them.

http://www.snakebite.net/

Hogmaster,

They say the "Twitchin Sticks" don't sink like senkos.  Do you fish them with weights?  Also, do you have a favorite color from snakebite?  I may have to try some out and make my first trip to the Q.  I've been avoiding because as you probably have guessed, I love senkos!

TxT

HogMaster

Great Color is the Drk Green Pumpkin/Blk & Copper flake!  I have some of there Twitchin Sticks but havent tried them yet.  I have been throwing the 9.25" worms Carolina rigging and the Quincy Bass have been killing it!!  Also there brush Hog pattern in the same color and Motoroil and Glitter!!  Also the Oxblood color works well at Aurora!  Yes I am a Senko Crazy also!  But I will try them split shot and let you know.

TxT

Thanks Hog,

Do you find the smallies take the senkos and plastics as well?  I think you mentioned that in your report but just wanted to double check.

Thanks,

TxT

kryonkid

so i caught this guy off a lizard, black and gold flak. thanks to "hogmater" on the color. i had a small split shot set about 10 inches up from the bate. had it rigged kinda Texas style, just barley in its back. fished it up and let it sink real slow. thought the day was going to be really bad with the rain and everything, but it turned out to be ok. it was 2.5lbs. only got one pic, by myself. going to be out at the RMA, hope to see you guys out their. good luck. the pic is below.

[attachment deleted by admin]

PaulRoberts

Kryon,

Nice bass.

What is it with these fat bass. She looks full of eggs. Or is that food? Was she in a big pond or lake, or a small shallow one. Just curious.

Paul

HogMaster

Smallies hammered the Senko's & Brush Hogs!!   I found a great way to weight the twitching sticks like Senko's.  Buy some of those worm weights at BP and insert once in the middle worked great the other day.

kryonkid

As far as what she/he was full of i'm not sure, don't know how to tell. any help? I caught it in the lake off 64th and Pecos. its a pretty small lake, really dirty to. dose anyone know how to tell the "woops" of bass? its probably basic, but i don't know how.

PaulRoberts

No way to tell bass gender externally -except behaiorally arounsd the spawn.

HogMaster

Look in the mouth for the Lite pink or orange looking spots, females have them.

kryonkid

sweet ill have to check it out.
Hog master, heard you talking about brush hogs? whet are those?

HogMaster

kryonkid

hog master, thank you very much for the info.

bassineveryday

Man I missed out on alot of threads here lately do to work being busy.
senko's are one of the best weightless,wacky any way you throw them you just can not beat them here is a way that has produced for me some nice bass setup a carolina rig and dedicate a pole for it because changing this set up is a hassle use your desired weight just above a three way swivel now set one line up with a 4ft leader and the other with a 3ft leader the three ft leader set a small eel on it on the 4ft set up a lizard this gives the chase effect and also produces