huge crappi

Started by icky, March 08, 2005, 09:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icky

:)Hi all. I was in Oregon last weekend visiting family, and was told they weer catching big crappie on the Snake river, (Brownlee reservoir). Needles to say,  as I was staying at the in laws (who live on the Powder River arm of the river) I was very interested. A check at the local store in Richland Oregon  confermed that YES they were catching Very nice crappie. The owner of the store showed me a picture of a stringer of 4 that weighed 10 4 oz on his certified scale. I didn't have time to fish, due to family obligations, but plan on going back this weekend. For my part of the country these are huge crappie :shocking:

Mike Cork

In any part of the country those are huge crappie. Catching one or two in the 2.5 to 3 pound range around here is common enough but 4 that go over 10, yeah that is a great catch anywhere. It's all about numbers here. Catching a limit of 50 in an hour is no problem at the right times. Yes I realize that is almost a fish a minute but it does happen at the right times.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

CouchTater

alot of folks catch big crappie on Guntersville while they are Bass Fishing.  I have a buddy that caught a crappie years ago that measured 21in long and weight 4 pounds (i think).  They tried to get him to carry it and get it checked for a record.  Instead he carried it to the taxidermist...  I'll see if he has got a pic and ill post it.  It's a nice looking mount.

Besides the 8 and 10 pointers on his wall, that crappie is his favorite. :D

Tater
@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

bass1cpr

This is still my biggest it was 2lbs. 8 1/4 oz.  16 1/4 inches long.

[attachment deleted by admin]
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Lipripper

Nice Crappie bass1cpr  and who's that young looking fellow holding that big Crappie  lo lo ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Ranger375

<-----------  Getting a map to Illinois....wow!  ~c~
"It Ain't all the things that we don't know that causes all the trouble...it's all the things that we DO know that ain't so!"

silversalmon

Never caught or fished for them, but from what I am seein here, those are some :shocking: :shocking: How's the taste on them guys anyways? I used to fish for bluegill quite a bit as a younger guy, those tasted pretty darn good ~c~

United States Air Force 1994-present

bass1cpr

Crappie and walleye are my two favorite fish to eat. Crappie is a lot better than bluegill but bluegill are still great for frying.
Lipster yep that pic's about 10 years old could ya tell from the mustache see it wasn't always white.  lo
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

silversalmon

Crappie taste better, oh man, making my mouth water. Sure did love them gills in the old pan :)

Pferox

That is one nice fish
Down here we call em speckled perch.
We are limited to 25 per person per day.
We start fishin for em in ernest probably in October or November.
By about April they start to go deep and spread out and are more difficult to catch during the day.
Here is a morning of fishin in November from Kississimme Lake.
Speckled Perch are one of the best tasting fresh water fish there is.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

silversalmon

~c~ ~c~ That just looks like a tasty darn catch

CouchTater

Here is a pic. of my buddys crappie he caught at Guntersville...

Tater
@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

Mike Cork

Now there is some good eats  ~c~ Believe it or not, I have done some sac-a-lait fishing on Kississimme Lake when I was a kid. The old man was stationed at Patrick A.F.B. and we used to fish that lake quite a bit. Nice pic  ~c~

Cork's Reel Service

Mike Cork

Thats a beauty Couch Tator  ~c~ Biggest one I have every caught was right at 18 inches, didn't weigh her though.

Cork's Reel Service

silversalmon

Patrick, that is an assignment, nice base ;D Good fishin I take it too.

bass1cpr

Pferox That looks like a good morning of fishing. I bet it was some better eating though. Tater i wish I would have mounted mine I put it back hoping it would grow more and I would catch it again. I'm still waiting and I won't put it back agian I learned my lesson.  lo  But I've got the pic's.

Mike Cork

Bass1cpr, she is just waiting to get that little bit bigger ;)

Yeah from what I remember about it, as a kid, it was paradise and right on the beach  lo

Cork's Reel Service

Pferox

Thanks guys, and yea It was good eatin.
Tater that is a biggun, a meal in itself  lo
Kisissimmee is a very nice lake, good fishin almost year round.
And that is just one of many around here, I feel very lucky.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Fishaholic

All them crappies are nice...my personal best is 17.5" weight 2.5 lbs. caught on a 1/8 oz. beetle spin on Lake Pena Blanca in Arizona, in 1980...don't have a picture of the fish, I traded the fish for a week's stay on the lake in a beautiful cabin with all meals, boat and trolling motor's use...they had a 2000 gallon aquarium at the lodge and that's where the fish ended up.

silversalmon

No kiddin, that is a pretty cool deal fish :) Get a weeks stay for the fish. How was the fishin in that lake

Fishaholic

It was great silver, I even got a rare photo of a nesting wood ibis...I thought when I first saw it it was a wood stork which in itself is fairly rare, but when I matched the photos against actual photos of birds I found out it was the wood ibis!

Pena Blanca is a high mountain resevoir loaded with trout, largemouth and crappies...most of the people who fish there fish for the rainbow trout, but the guy who rents the boat use out told us about the giant crappies in the lake when he hear I was from the Midwest...fished crappies and bass for a solid week...awesome!

silversalmon

Glad to heat it. Wish I could finds them kinds of deals

rudder

This post is making me hungry
GIT R DONE

Fishaholic