Ohio River Bass Fishing Report 7-21-07 Maysville KY

Started by Warpath, July 21, 2007, 05:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warpath

Buckeye BFL

I fished my third BFL today and it was my worst outing to date.  I didn't manage a keeper bite all day, but landed 4 fish in all.  I fished with a person I know from Columbus, Karl Guelgold.  We were boat #6, and headed east from Maysville toward Portsmouth.

Conditions were foggy at launch, with heavy fog east of the ramp that slowed our run up river.  The sun burned off the fog to reveal sunny skies, clear water, and 81 or 82 degree water.  90% of the boats headed west.  At our first stop, I landed an 8-inch spot on a DT4 silver crank.  I also landed 2 small spots, another 8 and an 11-inch fish on a spider grub on a standup jighead around barges.  The worst part of it was this...

My fourth fish was a largemouth that went 11 inches and like 31/32 of an inch.  It was so close to keeping, I almost refused to put him back.  It was also caught on the watermelon pepper grub behind the barges.  I needed that 1 fish for points and I would have really been in business. My partner broke off a nice smallmouth on a white shad grub with a paddletail early in the day.  I think he landed one spot that was about 6 inches.  It was tough.  Really tough.

Thank God!  Off to Lake Erie in three weeks!!!  I hope my standings don't take a huge hit.

Eric