Dead White Perch On Grand Bayou

Started by Possum, April 20, 2005, 11:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possum

Just wondering if anyone knows why there are dead white perch floating all over the place out there. I havent seen any bass or anything else just white perch.

Mike Cork

I knoticed a couple when we were down there last month :-\ I take it it has gotten worse?

I seen a big crappie kill on Toledo Bend once because the fish were up shallow spawning and the wind got real bad creating a lot of wave action and it pounded them to death?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Chris

I saw at least four dead white perch at Cypress yesterday afternoon. They were all short fish. I figured they were thrown back and died after being caught. Who knows?

Fishaholic

I don't know how it is out your way...but I'm gonna assume it's the same all over...

Around here, when the slab gills are beddin and everyone's out to get their fair share I've noticed that when someone catches a small gill, they unhook it roughly with no regard as to whether or not it will survive when they throw it back in...and I've seen the same thing when crappie fishermen are looking for slabs and not dinks.

It's a shame that some fishermen have such disregard for the resources availed to them.

Mike Cork

Fish that is quite possible, the crappie's are very popular right now and there are hundreds of folks on the water to get their fair share. I would hope that with a creel limit of 50 that folks were not being that rough with them but I know not everyone thinks like I do :(

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Fishaholic

Our creel limit is only 25, but I've seen people handle the smaller fish improperly and with no regard for their survival when they fling them over the side of the boat in an attempt to get larger fish...

Possum

the smaller ones taste just as good to me  ;D

Fishaholic

actually, I think the smaller ones taste better!