Curado or Revo STX

Started by tmiller2, January 07, 2008, 09:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmiller2

alright guys....i need some help.....im looking to get 2 or 3 new reels and i cant decide between the curado and the revo stx.....i have pro forms for both where i will get the stx for 100 and the curado for 127....i have a curado already and love it.....and i have a revo sx and love it just as much.....so i cant decide if i should get 1 of each and then pick another?  or get 2 of 1 and 1 of the other.....
if you were in my situation what would you do???
"the vibrashock?.....its like crack for fish"

HellaBass

All curados...  except if I had enough case for a core, do they have those on the pro form?

Mike Cork

I'd have to go with 1 Curado 200D in the version you wanted. Then go with 2 Citica's  ;) 100D's

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

tmiller2

hellabass they do have the core on the pro forms but i dont know much about them.....i think they are like 175 on them......what do you think about them

Beagle

I have the Revo STX. It's a no-brainer for me. The REVO STX is the best reel I have ever owned. I do have a Citica also which is nice but it's nothing like the Revo.

clubber

Never had a Curado, but I do own a Revo. Just ordered another one this morning. Would have ordered from Delo's, but I had a BPS gift card. Problem is the card was only for $30.00. When the wife see's the overflow on the credit card I may need help!!!!
I agree with Beagle, the Revo is the best reel I have ever used!! 

duck_guide

If I had a choice it would be none of the above, I have several Curado's 100 and 200 version 2 core's and have fished with the Revo STX.  Shimano offers a Chronarch CH100B or a CH100BSV on the Pro Form for $149.00  for me the CH100BSV is the finest reel I have ever fished other than the Calais.  For a little more money you will get a LOT more reel.

Just my .02
Skeeter Team Member
Reeves Marine Team
Kistler Rods

Bubbalunk

I own three curados and I love them, they are great reels, But I also own the Chronarch CH100BSV and it is also a stand up reel, I like the chronarch better for lighter aplications, and the curados more for the heavier ones.  Both excellent reels. I would recommend either.

Benthook120

I love my Revo and plan on several more before the end of this year! I have owned Shimano and Diawa, but the new Revo's are smoother casting with better balance and line control. Hope this helps.
If you give history the chance then chances are good that history will repeat itself. So pay attention to your fishing because the first one you caught was because you did something they liked!

Kickin Bass

Well I have been a Rick Clunn guy I own several.  However, Santa blessed me this year with Bass Pro gift cards enough to try Curado.......all I can say is I will be switching out to curado.  Im not big on pay as much as you can for your toys but holy cow that thing is awsome!!  It's not totally night and day but it is as close as I have seen in a long time.  I love that thing.

Jason
09-20i
250 HPDI
HDS-8 w/ LSS, LCX-28c-HD

BassClout

Bassinkorea

I have never tried the Curado, but I have the Revo S, SX and STX and I love all 3 of them and a STX for $100 I don't think you could go wrong.....

.....but, since you will be buying 2 or 3 reels, why not get both  :-* :-*
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

tmiller2

thats what i was thinkin steve but then it comes to which one do i want to get 2 of hahaha......im sure i will be able to figure it out soon enough but i went out and got my line wet today to see which one i liked more and i still cant decide.....its driving me nutts

Beagle

Hey "T"man. All of the above are great reals. I recomend getting all three exactly the same. This way you will always have the same weight and feel in your hand. When you switch baits, this will help alot. Look at the pro's. Most have 5-10 on the deck at one time. If you look close, you will notice that the rods, baits and even lines are different but 9 times out of 10, the reels are exactly the same. Now if the reel is offered in different retrieve speeds, it would be cool to have the same reel in slow, medium and fast speeds. Hope this helps.

mlakrid

I have many Revos in S, SX and soon a Premier... I also own a Curado 200DHSV which I love for distance casts... but in my eyes, it simply does NOT compare to the revos...

My observations:

The revo-S is as rock solid as you will find for a sub-$100 reel... you should be able to get every Revo-S to your door for $90 shipped if not, you are simply paying too much... this is why I love eBay!!
The SX is finished nicer and has a great feel... You should get this for $130 Shipped
The STX I did have, I had problems with so I exchanged it for another SX (high-speed 7.1:1 ratio)... I didnt have the STX long enough to say whether I thought it was worth the extra expense from teh SX to STX...

Please note: You can NOT compare the Chronarch to the Revos as was advised above... UNLESS you compare it versus the Premier... it is the lightest reel on the market for the price...

If I were you I would try the premier... all the bells of the STX with an solid aluminum frame and only 6.31 oz...  :shocking:  :o

Just my $.02...

Mike A!
A Bad day on the water is still better than the best day at work!!@!!

Pablo4x4

I am new to Bass fishing and got mi first two casting reels last november. How did I choose the reels that I have? Well I asked my friends what they where using and Pflueger, Shimano and Garcia where named the most. So then I started to search the internet and read on customer satisfaction and they where mostly chosen by the preference of each buyer. Then I read reviews and found different pros and cons on every brand, but they all agree that the garcía had a great drag of 24Lbs. So I went for one Sx and one Stx. I do feel some differece between the two of them, but I also run different rods and lines on the two of them. I guess they are very similar to one another.

A cousin of mine uses curados, another friend of mine uses Pflueger and they both compete on tournaments here in Mexico so I guess you can´t go wrong with any of these two brands. I think that is more important the guy behind the wheel than the brand of car he drives. Take me for example, I have that beautiful Revo STX and still get a bird nest from time to time  ~roflmao  I need more practice  lo
I got that 4 pounder!! 5 is next!

PB = 4 Lbs thanks to board judges!!

kickurbass

I was at BPS today playing with the Curado.
What I did not understand was how to set the side braking system???
It appears you open the WHOLE side plate. I did it but had NO CLUE what the heck I was looking at. :-\
Can anyone explain how you would set the brake on the fly while fishing??
Fishing memories with dad.
NOTHING BEATS IT!

Beagle

I have a new Citica with the same feature. I was wondering the same thing. Where's mike at. He'll know the answer.

JimiJohnB

I'm sure Mike can explain it better, but I just got started with a Curado so will give it a shot.  I'm assuming you're talking about the 6 weights (at least there are 6 on the Curado) visible when you open the side plate on the reel - these are red or green plastic "caps". 

Weights are turned ON when the lips on the weights are pushed outwards past the inner retainer clips (black plastic pieces between the adjustable weights).  If you push the weight past the outer retainer clip, the weight can be removed completely, but I haven't found this necessary and probably not too useful, although Mike might add something there.  To turn a break OFF, the weight is kept inwards to the retainer clips. 

Obviously the more weights that are OFF the further your casts will go and vice versa.  It's really easy to adjust these on the fly - you just open the plate, arrange the weights as you desire (ON or OFF) in a symmetrical fashion around the spool, and then close the plate again.  Takes a few seconds at most.  Don't know about the Citica, but on my Curado the side plate stays attached to the reel so you don't risk dropping it overboard while out on the water.   

Currently I've been fishing with 2 weights ON when using a 1/2 oz lure......so to keep it symmetrical the 2 weights I turn ON are directly across the spindle from each other.  I've tried it with no weights ON (having only 1 weight on would be assymetric) but got a bad birds nest because the spool turned crazy fast.  Started with 6 weights ON when learning to use the baitcaster but my thumb control has gotten much better so only need 2 ON now. 

-Sorry for the thread hijack

tmiller2

that sounds about right to me jimijohn......the citaca's weights or disc brakes are all pink and a little wider and fatter......it is very easy to use but when you first look at it you ahve no idea what it is......look at the manuals for the reels that shows pictures of how to use it.....

Mike Cork

JimiJohnB, you nailed it here. Looks like the only question was if it would be worth it to remove the breaks completely. Some folks say yes if you are that good LOL, but actually if you don't want any breaks applied DON'T REMOVE THEM, by clicking them to the off position (closest to the center of the spool) you are actually adding more weight at the center of gravity and will give you more free spin  :-*

On older shimano's the side plate would come off in your hand and you had to be careful not to drop it over overboard. However all the new models from the Citica up have a connected side plate to prevent this  :-*

Cork's Reel Service

beast96z

That's why I've always steered away from Shimano's. The brake system and the bulky size. However, with the introduction of the Core, I may make that my next purchase.

JimiJohnB

What's different about the Core's braking system?  Know nothing about this reel, other than it's more expensive.

tmiller2

jimijohn from what i have read about it, the braking system is the same but it just has a smaller profile

Mike Cork

Yes the core's braking system is the same, it looks a little different but it works and adjusts the same as the other shimano's

Cork's Reel Service