Santa Rosa, NM

Started by toddmacc, March 20, 2008, 07:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toddmacc

I'm planning a trip to Santa Rosa, New Mexico next week.  It looks like it will be 75 degrees and sunny!  I've never been there and any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

k0diak

"The only thing better than fishing, is talking about fishing."

Mike Garrett

Our club fished Santa Rosa last year and it was a blast. It will also be our opening tournament for this year, April 19 & 20.

Last year there was no place in Santa Rosa to buy a New Mexico fishing license, recommend you stop in Raton and get one at Walmart.

There are no good maps of the lake that we could find.  Look for brush and trees.  We also caught a big cooler full of 2#+ crappie while fishing for bass.

Wind can be a big problem...pay attention to the weather.

Watch out for rattle snakes!  Our website has some good pictures.
PPBM Fed Rep, Past Pres

toddmacc

Thanks for the information - I'll post when I get back.

k0diak

Can't wait to see that report!  ~roflmao  ;D  8)

toddmacc

I decided to get the boat out and run it before I took it to New Mexico.  I was out a few hours at Brush Hollow when I had trolling motor problems.  Basically, I never made it to Santa Rosa.  Since the boat was in the shop, I went to Valco Ponds and hooked into some nice Smallmouth and a even a Wiper.  The fish were very healthy.  the fish were caught on a slow rolled spinnerbait.

Mike Garrett

I posted the wrong dates for our opener...it's the 26 and 27th.  Still looking for the maps,

thanks,

Mike
PPBM Fed Rep, Past Pres

Mike Garrett

Quick update on Santa Rosa.  The lake is about 38% of last years size...still it fished pretty well.  Took 25#s plus to win a two day event.  Large bass as a 5#+.  Caught several large crappie (2.5#+).  We did a fish fry for the club at the motel Friday evening and it was great. 
PPBM Fed Rep, Past Pres

k0diak

Quote from: PPBM Pres on April 28, 2008, 10:05:01 AM
Quick update on Santa Rosa.  The lake is about 38% of last years size...still it fished pretty well.  Took 25#s plus to win a two day event.  Large bass as a 5#+.  Caught several large crappie (2.5#+).  We did a fish fry for the club at the motel Friday evening and it was great. 

Very cool! Thanks for the update! :)