New Reel

Started by left_turn56, May 12, 2005, 11:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

left_turn56

I just purchased a new Rhino RB300 bait cast reel. It is not very expensive, but I wanted to make sure I was going to like and adapt to baitcasting before investing a ton of money! Other than setting the drag and magnets, is there anything I should do before using it (lube, other adjustments, standing on my head)?
left_turn56

Where are we going...and why are we in this hand basket???

Fishaholic

hmmmmm standing on your head... :roll2: that might be worth watching.

Is there a side spool tension adjustment? (not the magnets) If there is, I adjust mine for each new lure I tie on...you may or may not like to read up on the basics of casting a baitcaster too...learning how to thumb the spool is helpful in the beginning.

bassadict69

The best way to quickly set it up is to tie on the bait you will be using. Release the spool & let the weight fall to the floor. Set the tension or brakes so that you get very little or no "professional overrun" when the bait hits the floor & stops.

As far as lubrication, it should be ok although I have bought new reels that needed oiling straight out of the box.

Fishaholic

Man I love that phrase....professional overrun  ~c~

left_turn56

I have a feeling I may be using that terma lot in the near future!

left_turn56

I have a feeling I may be using that term a lot in the near future!

Fishaholic

Don't try to cast it a mile right off...start off slow and easy, the more comfortable it becomes to you the easier it'll be to start casting further and even more accurately too.

bassmaster_mercury

a great way to learn how to use a baitcast real or even before every season for that matter to get back in the motions, is to set up targets in your backyard, or if your lucky enough, go to your dock at your house and start practicing.  there is practice weights that you can buy at any fishing store, but id rather use the same type of lure that i will use for fishing.  for instance, here in canada, i use alot of spinnerbaits.  so once the snow is gone, i start flippin my back yard.  its a good way to shake off the cobwebs of a long winter.  give that  a try and let me know how it works out.  remember the thumb on the spool to, you will get lots of birds nests if you take your finger off.  hope this helps,
steve

Pferox

Everybody's comments are quite correct, I would like to add one.
If you want to get good at a baitcaster, store all other types of reels in the closet, and use a baitcaster exclusively for a while, bring extra line with you, and just keep castin, on the dock, in the boat, in the back yard, everywhere.
Usin a baitcaster is kind of a zen thing, one with the line and reel, when you to think about the spool, that is when you will get a "Professional overun".
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim