Hybrid Tow Vehicle?

Started by Stump bumper, April 11, 2008, 07:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stump bumper

I will be trading the wife's mini van this year and looking at hybrids since she mainly runs around town at 30mph and less. I would like a vehicle that could act as a back up tow vehicle. My boat's total weight is less than 3,000 lbs.

Anybody using a hybrid already or shopping. I know with the weight on the truck it won't be running on electric, but most of the time it would not be a tow vehicle.
Beaver Lake  Arkansas

Warpath

Thats a great ? that I'm looking forward to the answer to.  I'll look into it.

I know we're heading in a good direction, as the Tahoe Hybrid made it's debut this year.  It actually beat the MPG in several tests.  I think it's a 6.0 liter engine, and one independent test that I've seen said it got 26.3 MPG.

Eric

guardrail

Guys i watch csi miami alot and Waric was driveing the tahoe  but i do recall a pickup that was a hybrid and it showed that the horsepower was abought the same as a gas motor im sure it was a gm or chevy

Jdaddy

I am looking to trade my wife's 06' Yukon XL to a Yukon Hybrid, much better SUV  with the same HP and way better fuel mileage.
In 6-7 months fuel will be about $0.30-$0.40 higher(per gallon) and all of us will think more of the $$$ saved VS the power gained.
If you buy the SUV Hybrid you should not have any problems pulling the boat and save more on fuel.
The bad part of the new Hybrid is the cost, they are $10,000 - $13,000 higher the the regular SUV.

Warpath

I think AB also mentioned in another post quite awhile ago, that the battery in Hybrids usually has to be replaced in 5 years.  And they weren't cheap.....

Eric

Stump bumper

Mazda is coming out with one this year, like the Escape but around $20,000 but only 500 test run in CA. ~rant

The cost of batteries are prdicted to come down as demand increases and more people are buying them.

Electronics can't help to get get cheaper with compention. Right now I have no car payments, just wondering if the price of gas vs payment is worth it. I would just like to leave the house once in a while.

Escape looks like a good choice, 30mpg and better, but not worth $26,000 base when you can get a 4 banger version for 18.
Beaver Lake  Arkansas

AB

Take a look at the auctions...look at all of the hybrids just out of warranty that are at the auction becuase the battery pack failed...we are talking in the neighborhood of 4000-5000 to replace the battery in a hybrid.  Maintenance is higher (most vehicles have dual cooling systems for the hybrid technology) and you'd better be DAM sure your servicing dealer is up on hybrids and their techs have been to ALL of the hybrid training.... ;)

I work on this chit everyday...and if I were looking for a vehicle right now, I'd have a dedicated tow vehicle...and buy the misses a VW Passat TDI......40+mpg around town, 50+mpg on the highway, and of all the ones I service, very minimal issues with them.

Warpath

My buddy has one of those TDI's and it gets insane gas mileage.  I'm no fan of VW's, but it seems like a nice little car. 

Eric

coldfront

Quote from: AB on April 12, 2008, 09:01:26 PM
Take a look at the auctions...look at all of the hybrids just out of warranty that are at the auction becuase the battery pack failed...we are talking in the neighborhood of 4000-5000 to replace the battery in a hybrid.  Maintenance is higher (most vehicles have dual cooling systems for the hybrid technology) and you'd better be DAM sure your servicing dealer is up on hybrids and their techs have been to ALL of the hybrid training.... ;)

I work on this chit everyday...and if I were looking for a vehicle right now, I'd have a dedicated tow vehicle...and buy the misses a VW Passat TDI......40+mpg around town, 50+mpg on the highway, and of all the ones I service, very minimal issues with them.

good call AB...if you can park the tow vehicle except when towing, that'll help.  I still plan on sticking with aluminum boats so I can pull them with my underpowered little minivan (205 hp 3.8 litre 6 cylinder)...helps when I'm only pulling 1500 pounds...was also looking into a 'second' vehicle ...like the Passat...just need a commuter to get to/fo and carry the groceries...don't need a 6 person 'go in style' vehicle for 600 mile road trips anymore...and as gas pushes past $4/gallon, will need those trips even less...

WES

the new tahoes and yukons are really nice but you better get ready to reach in both pockets because the one i looked at that was a hybrid was about $53k

coldfront

Quote from: WES on April 13, 2008, 03:39:44 PM
the new tahoes and yukons are really nice but you better get ready to reach in both pockets because the one i looked at that was a hybrid was about $53k

know it's supposed to also be about being 'green'...but I can buy a heck of a lot of $4 gas for the difference...