Using a bead on a C-Rig

Started by ʇuǝɹq™, July 10, 2008, 09:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ʇuǝɹq™

Noble started a thread about using a bead with a Texas rig and there is a 2 page thread about sinkers for a C-rig.  So I decided to start this one about using a bead on C-Rig.

Question 1.  Do you always use a bead or no?  Mark Davis (carolina rig expert) said he never uses a bead cause the ticking sound he believes distracts the fish from the bait.  Your take? 

Question 2.  Glass or Plastic Bead?  I know they both make different ticking sounds when mixed between lead, brass, and tungsten, but whats your take?

Question 3.  One, two, or even three beads?  Whats your preference, and why?  I use one, and sometimes I'll try two or none if they aren't biting, and sometimes that can be difference.  I know this question kinda goes with question 1, but I wanna hear what you guys have to say.

Texas_Bass_Man

I have always used one bead.  I started out using plastic, but switched to glass because it was supposed to be better. 

To be completely honest, I have had so much more success with a texas rig over the c-rig.  Maybe it's just the ponds and lakes i fish, or maybe my technique.  But the c rig just doesn't produce for me. 

I've also wondered about my ability to feel bites with a c-rig.  I'm not sure I am feeling everything that i would had I been using the texas rig.  I use mono line...maybe that is my problem.

Still looking for my first c-rig fish of 08 haha

Bassinkorea

I'm not a big C-rig user but when I do fish a c-rig I use a lead weight and 2 glass beads  ;D
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

coldfront

one bead.  glass.  clear.  round, no facets. always.

Lee Smith

I use the C-Rig often on stump flats to cover water faster.

I start with no beads in gin clear water, then add beads according to the water clarity and depth I'm fishing.  Up to 3 total but rarely do I put on 3.  If the water is dingy enough for my pea brain to think I need three beads, I'm slow rolling a Vibrashock or spin!

Lee
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Mike Noble

I use 2 beads with a brass facet between them.  I'm not a big c-rig fisherman but that is how I rig it.  I also use a 3-way swivel with a double rig...one about 6 to 8 inches of leader and the other about 2 feet or so of leader.
Life is a B........each!

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - e-reader

TREATING LIFE FAIRLY - paperback

Ask me about PROTANDIM

Baron49

A brass clicker to protect the knot, a red glass faceted 8 mm bead, then what ever size brass weight I need.

coldfront

Quote from: Lsmith500 on July 11, 2008, 06:29:22 AM
I start with no beads in gin clear water

hey now...isn't that 'split-shotting'?   ;D

Lee Smith

Quote from: coldfront on July 11, 2008, 10:06:47 AM
hey now...isn't that 'split-shotting'?   ;D

Not with a 3/4oz weight  lo
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Chris

If Im throwing a short leader carolina rig I usually like alot of sound because I feel like it will draw the fishes attention to your bait as well. The fish will actually see both the weight and bait in most cases. When throwing a longer leader I thinking the clicking sound becomes less beneficial. On a 5 to 6 foot leader I prefer virtually no sound.... I want the fish keying on the bait not the weight ......and with the two that far away from each other I just feel the sound is really a hinderance more than a bebnefit. I quit using red beads because I was getting bit in the weight area as much as the bait itself at times. This is just my opinion.

By the way Brent ...I am going to break out a little something else I figured out with a rig this Sunday in the TCTC Tourney. Never seen it used before ...EVER at least by bass fishermen.

Rodney Bledsoe

I use glass beads 97% of the time. If I feel the fish are after the weight, I'll remove the weight and use a 3/4 oz. football jig with some kind of plastic on it. You'll double your chance of catching a fish or two.

Jared

I ALWAYS use a GLASS bead. It keeps the weight from slipping over the swivel. Both me and my dad use a 1oz egg sinker since the tungsten weights are so exspensive. I normally use a 15lb flourocarbon leader attached to a 2-way swivel on one end and a 2/0-4/0 hook depending on the water clarity. I also use 30lb-40lb power pro braid depending on what I am fishing. 40lb when fishing submerged wood and 30lb when fishing creeks and flats.
Jared Rascoe-Minda Lures Pro-Staff
Stanley Lures Jr. Field Staff

bassnman30

Ok here goes, "I" use a Tru-Tungsten 3/4 oz weight on a 12 to 18 inch leader. With tungsten I like a tungsten bead. It makes allot of noise and I feel like it attracts fish to my bait. I use one bead, more than one and you'll hang up more. My line is Fluorocarbon 17 lb or 20 lb test with a 12 lb or 14 lb leader. In rocks I pump it, on clear bottoms I drag it. It seems as though in rocks you hang up more by dragging the bait. I also fish the bait kind of fast. I use lizards (the 8" kind) or ring worms in green pumpkin. Depending on how clear the water is, if it's clear I use a ring worm (more than three feet visibility). If the water is off colored I may use a lizard. Thats my two cents worth. Sometimes I catch fish and sometimes well.....