C-Rig Crankbaits

Started by -Joe-, August 20, 2008, 07:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Joe-

Last night I heard of something totally new to me,C-rigging a crankbait. It actually sounds pretty good for getting it down to the deeper depths and they say that with the weight 3-4' in front of the lure that it helps to prevent snags. Anyone ever use this method? What are some of the details?

Ron Fogelson

Hey Ranger Joe, this has been around for years, not sure how many but at least 9, thats when I 1st started bass fishing and heard about it back then.  It was also in this months Bassmaster again but I can't tell you I've had any luck with it.  It should produce but then I'm not much of a c-rig angler to began with so I could be way off in my selected areas to try it.

pawpaw

~cf  There is an article in this months Bassmaster about it. Kelly Jordan uses it. I don't have it with me but I know it said use the longest leader you can cast. Also you can remove the front treble to keep from getting snagged too much I don't see how the sinker can keep you from getting snagged
                                     Oh I see now, the sinker being 4ft in front of the crankbait is supposed to keep you from hanging up.

I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

-Joe-

Quote from: pawpaw on August 20, 2008, 08:17:34 PM
~cf   I don't see how the sinker can keep you from getting snagged. That is the reason I don't like to fish carolina rigs anyway, I am allways hung up.

As I understood it that fishing say a rapala DD22 which will float, will run higher than the sinker. Also the sinker will give tell-tale sign of what is there before you reel into it. Like I said this is new to me so I don't really know.
Fogy, I guess living this far down in south ga news sure does travel slow for us. lo lo

callmeKVD

ok there is no such thing as a rapala DD22. it's either a rapala DT-16 or a norman DD22.... as far as catching fish with this rig I haven't and it is pretty hard to cast as well.

-Joe-

Quote from: callmeKVD on August 20, 2008, 08:46:28 PM
ok there is no such thing as a rapala DD22. it's either a rapala DT-16 or a norman DD22.... as far as catching fish with this rig I haven't and it is pretty hard to cast as well.
My mistake, it is a DT-16
I left the two in my tackle box to close to each other one night and they cross-bred. ~roflmao

tmiller2

Quote from: Ranger Joe on August 20, 2008, 08:53:16 PM
I left the two in my tackle box to close to each other one night and they cross-bred. ~roflmao

lo lo lo lo
"the vibrashock?.....its like crack for fish"

Baron49

Quote from: Ranger Joe on August 20, 2008, 08:53:16 PM
~roflmao

Baron49

Never tried this with a diving crankbait, but have used this rig with a floating Rapala.  Actually worked better for catching Walleyes then it did for Smallmouths.  After a lot of problems trying to cast this rig went to simply drifting a flat or ledge area and slowly working the weight and not the lure like you would with a c-rig.