Rude Stren Series Fisherman in Chaumont Bay

Started by Baron49, August 25, 2008, 07:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron49

I am a FLW and BASS Life member, but no longer fish draw tournaments retired after 20 years.  The Stren series was fishing out of Clayton last week.

Was fishing in Chaumont Bay on the outside of a couple islands.  On the inside of the islands was a red Ranger, Ohio registration with two fishermen working the shallow water.  I caught one Largemouth and then another within moments of each other.  By the time I had released the second fish this red Ranger had left the shallows and was sitting right on top of the weed bed I was fishing close enough I could have touched this guys rod with mine.

I asked him what he was doing and his response was, "he was in a tournament and this was his best spot."  Stange I saw him come in, go to the inside of the other island, and work the inside of the next island.  He was in my face in the deep water only after I caught two fish.

Since when does fishing a tournament give anyone the right to be rude?  This rude person fished right over the top of the weedbed and when ever I went to move my boat he would try to cut me off.  I figured if he was that desperate for a fishing spot I would leave as I have many other places to fish.

Getting to my point....if this rude individual had simply come over to one side or the other of where I was fishing and explained to me what was going on I probably would have given him the spot.  But his rude "I am a tournament fisherman I own the water" attitude is getting very old.  This is not the first time this has happened and many of the locals are getting fed up with these rude tournament fishermen.

JayPea2006

It's sad to hear that you went through that experience. Having fished many tournaments, I've always been considerate of others on the water, and would never sit right on top of someone fishing.

This past Saturday I practiced for a tournament next weekend, and found members of another club fishing thier tournament with many of the spots I wanted to practice currently occupied, but I never got within 300 yards of them.

I do believe or would like to believe that for the most part, tournament anglers are espectful of others on the water. If this guy needed your water that bad then he was probably doomed long before he stumbled apon you.

Dug

I think we are obligated to report these rude behaviors to the tourny directors.  It may not help, but then again it might.  If they don't do something about it, then perhaps the state resource managers will (with enough complaints) will stop accwpting their applications for tournaments.

Dug
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

GotstaFish

I've ran into this many times over the years. There are ways of dealing with this type of behaviour. The first that comes to mind is to simply pull up your trolling motor wish them luck and proceed to use the weed bed for your hole shot  ;D or you can be stubborn like me and pull straight in front of them keep on fishing, if they don't like it they can leave or come join me on my boat  >:D I can't stand that attitude some of these guys get, especially when they have to weasel in on someone else's fish  ::)

Warpath

I'm not going to try and defend him because he's from Ohio.  But I'll be you I know who it is.  I'll go check the standings for Ohio anglers.  There aren't that many fishig the Stren.

Now, to my explanation.  I guess here in Ohio, we get a reputation for being rather rude on the water.  The reason?  I think we're like second in the country for number of anglers per fishable acre.  We're used to fishing right on top of one another, but unfortunately, we get a rep for "not playing well with others".  I don't think I'm this way at all, and hopefully I'm right.  I do get pissed when someone obviously chucks etiquette overboard during a tourney.

I agree with Dug 100%.  Tournament anglers are bound by most tourney rules to be respctful of others on the water.  I'd take his boat numbers to the tourney director.  Give him a bad name, and the FLW will run him off or straighten him out.

Sorry for your trouble baron; you seem like a nice guy all-around.

Eric

Baron49

Thanks for the replies....

Eric, never heard anything bad about Ohio fisherman, the only negative thing I have heard about Ohio is the boring interstate highways you have. ;) 

I was thinking about taking his boat numbers and heading over to the tournament director, but really wondered if this would do any good as it would be my word against the boater and his co-angler's.

One thing I did notice....if this was this guys "best spot" he did have to measure one of the fish he caught before putting it in the live well.  I caught and released a 2 and a 3 lb fish just before he came out on top of me.  Must have ticked him off some old guy in a big ole aluminum boat was actually catching better fish.  ;D

Quote from: Dug on August 25, 2008, 10:43:52 PM
I think we are obligated to report these rude behaviors to the tourney directors.  It may not help, but then again it might.  If they don't do something about it, then perhaps the state resource managers will (with enough complaints) will stop accepting their applications for tournaments. Dug

There has been a lot of talk with the locals about doing something about all the tournaments.  The local ramp is tied up almost every weekend and the number of "incidents" have be on the increase.

Gotsta....thought long and hard about doing the holeshot over the weedbed, but stuck around and played his silly game long enough to catch a couple more fish and take a little more time to admire them then was really needed before plopping them back into the weedbed. 

Tournament fishermen sometimes forget they represent the organizations they are fishing for, be that FLW, BASS, local clubs, or one many of the other tournament associations.  Local people living and fishing on their home waters lump ALL tournament fishermen into the same group.  It only takes one to two rude person to ruin things for all the rest.  If this persists I am sure enough complaints are going to change how and where tournaments are going to be held in the future. 

blake711

When I first saw the title of this thread.  I just thought it was Sponsored by Evinrude.   

Baron- sorry to hear about your bad luck with these jerks.   The are everywhere not just up north or from Ohio.  You did better than me because I probably would have told them a thing or two then tore out of there and tried to swamp them.   Thats after I started throwing the noisest clanky bait I could find and ripping it for all get out across the water in front of their boat.  Then of course I would bang my paddle in my boat a bit as I was moving around and drop some stuff.  You know just typical movements in the boat.

Warpath

I think baron has a good perspective on this.  It's just not this guy, but most guys are genuinely nice guys and accept that other folks are fishing a lake too.  Some bank fishermen, some casual fishermen, whatever.  Everyone is allowed to fish and it's part of the tourney atmosphere that you have to deal with.

I think we do see a fair amount of backlash from the locals at a lot of venues now, and that's unfortunate.  But, if you don't report bad behavior, organizations like BASS and FLW can't go after thsoe who are involved.  I'd report him in a heartbeat, and maybe FLW will tell him to take his entry money elsewhere, or suspend him for awhile.  The Stren Series boaters are considered "professionals", and should conduct themselves as such.

Eric

Baron49

Eric,

What felt strange was to be the "local" in a big ole aluminum boat.  I fished tournaments for probably 20 years on the East coast before retiring and running my business full time again.  I remember what it was like to pull up on a spot I practiced on and see a local catching fish.  The last thing any of the guys I fished with would do in that situation would be to run over the guy and start a confrontation.  We were told by the tournament directors back then any complaints from locals would be dealt with severly.  Don't they give out those warnings anymore at the meetings?  or are some "pros" just chosing to ignore it thinking because they are out of town they can get away with it?

Warpath

Baron, alot of times it seems to be a point that isn't made enough to the anglers.  Much like the speech all boaters should get about co-anglers.  I think they gloss over it, and the penalites aren't severe enough for some people to even worry about it.  It's a "catch me if you can" attitude. 

It's like the co-angler situation.  You're only recourse is to not sign the weigh-in slip of your boater if he was a jerk.  But that immediately labels you as a jerk, and you can gain a pretty poor image on a circuit pretty quickly.  I think if a boater gets two complaints from his co-anglers, he or she should be disqualified from the circuit for the season.  But, with so many organizations competing for fewer and fewer anglers, that might never come to fruition. 

BTW, I think the same should be said of co-anglers.  They have responsibilities too.  they should be able to back a boat in, net fish, and be ready to go when the boater is.  If he or she isn't, well, it's time to take up ping pong.

Eric

bigjim5589

I've recently read a post on another board about picking up trash left by other anglers. What this boils down to is the bad examples made by others, regardless of what type of angler they are. There are a lot of different types of jerks out there these days!

Many years ago I had a bass angler, a fellow fishing a club tournament, nearly swamp my canoe in a small creek as he went blasting past. I had one of my son's with me at the time. He was about 10 years old then. We had spoken to some other club anglers earlier in the day, and they told us they were fishing a tournament. All the others slowed down when the approached us, and returned to plane, after they passed.

I'm sure this guy was in a hurry to get back for the weigh in, but his regard for others on the water was poor, and he set a poor example, especially for my young son. He also put us in a dangerous situation with his actions. Fortunately no one was hurt.

I was about a mile down river from the ramp and we were paddling, so there was little chance of me catching up with that guy. I had wanted to, and had thoughts of throwing him in the river, but that too would not have set a good example either. When we got back to the ramp, the club had already left.

There are too many folks who have no concern for our waterways, environment, or others. The rest of us, unfortunately have to make up for these types & go the extra mile to do the right thing, even though we get mad about the situation.

Blasting through that weed bed would have given some satisfaction, but would have been just as wrong as the rude tournament guys. I would have liked to thrown that guy over board, but that would have been wrong too!

I agree with these others that tournament anglers who do not obide by the rules, should be reported. Same with other boaters who perform unsafe acts, anyone who dumps their trash on or in our waterways, or anyone who won't obey our fish & game laws. They set bad examples, and the rest of us get bad raps as a result.

Baron, you handled the situation in a calm, rational manner, and should be proud of yourself for doing the right thing, and setting a good example. Thank You!  ~c~
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

coldfront

It's only going to get tougher...

and listening to some of the pros on the FLW, they've decreased the number of spots that they'll pay out to..so, some folks are going to be going a little more hungry...which will make them a little more 'desperate'...plus as I understand, the sponsor monies are tightening up some as well...

First guy to the spot gets it.  seems clear.  basic angling etiquette?

Good post Baron...whether pro, pro-wannabe, clubber, or just plain old local enjoying the small amount of time you have on the water...there's more of us...and more pressure than ever to play nice...

Baron49

There is another side to this coin.   If tournament fishermen do not start policing themselves they are going to find they are not welcome to come back to areas where there have been problems.  I have been reading where several states are setting policies and laws to govern bass tournaments.  Obviously this situation is not just isolated incidents, but an ever growing problem.  Whenever big money is involved, it brings problems and with the poor economy I am sure the problems are going to continue.  This is unfortunate for the majority of good people that fish tournaments.  We all know a select few and usually "wannabes" are the cause for the majority of problems.  Everyone on each circut knows who the problem guys are and maybe a little "attitude adjustment" is going to be required by fellow fishermen.  From what I gather there is not much enforcement from the Tournament officials in these incidents. 

To insure the growth and well being of tournaments from every level from clubs to the pros something is going to have to be done.  No better place to start then with the tournament fishermen themselves.  Other wise it might come down to the point where tournaments are going to be limited or not allowed on many of the good fishing areas around the country.  Who will be to blame then?

Coonhound

Something else to help your cause if you go to the tourny director. Keep a digital camera in your boat, and get close-range digital photos of the individuals. That way, if nothing else, there's no dispute about who was involved.

I've started keeping my digital camera on the deck on a few lakes, but it's not for the fishermen...but rather pleasure boaters that get a little too close for comfort.
Matt
"People sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" Credited to George Orwell
Nervous B's Custom Hand Pours
Pics of Fish

Warpath

I believe you're right baron, we do need to police ourselves.  It just seems when I've tried to do that, it doesn't go very far.  No one sees the connection anymore.

Eric

coldfront

Quote from: Coonhound on August 28, 2008, 12:55:40 PMI've started keeping my digital camera on the deck on a few lakes, but it's not for the fishermen...but rather pleasure boaters that get a little too close for comfort.

that's a great point coonhound...it's not just bass guys...it's everyone.

Where oh where is the Golden Rule when you need it most? :-*

blake711

Quote from: coldfront on August 28, 2008, 01:54:02 PM
that's a great point coonhound...it's not just bass guys...it's everyone.

Where oh where is the Golden Rule when you need it most? :-*
Just like the camera or the scale.  They always forget it at home. ;)

coldfront

one more thing:  I do try hard to be a good citizen and get along with everyone.  I really do try to respect others and their space and everything.

Sometimes, however, I still behave like an  :ass (look no further than some of my contentious forum behavior)...still, I do aspire to behave 'good'...

;D

Warpath

I agree that pleasure boaters can be part of the problem, too.  But as bass fishermen, we need to take the lead on behavior amongst ourselves.  I know a lot of guys who have zero manners on the water and off.  They should be driven away to some other sport that tolerates idiotic behavior....like pro football!

Eric

coldfront

Quote from: Warpath on August 28, 2008, 04:47:22 PM
  They should be driven away to some other sport that tolerates idiotic behavior....like pro football!

Eric

>:D  or youth hockey?  or little league baseball?  Unfortunately, this behavior is prevalent just about everywhere you look...including that wonderful zone on the highways known as the 'merge' lane.

How many of us slow down to let someone in if they have their turn signal on?  OR do we speed up?

I'll 'fess that if a guy goes speeding down a lane that ends just to get ahead, I have a real hard time letting the merge...

Warpath

I totally agree with you coldfront.  I absolutely will not allow an easy merge from someone who is driving like an  :ass.  Those people who stay in the lane that closing due to construction are pure evil in my opinion.  Get over and wait like the rest of us!!!

Eric

Baron49

Quote from: Warpath on August 28, 2008, 07:32:55 PM
I totally agree with you coldfront.  I absolutely will not allow an easy merge from someone who is driving like an  :ass.  Those people who stay in the lane that closing due to construction are pure evil in my opinion.  Get over and wait like the rest of us!!!

Eric

I have to be honest I hate that too as well as the idiots that want to pass on the right hand side cause you are not passing someone fast enough on the interstates.  Like 75 mph is not fast enough?