CrankBaiting Through Cover

Started by cmatiazzo, May 08, 2005, 08:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmatiazzo

Hi Everybody!
I recieved this letter and I'd like to share with you!!!!

CrankBaiting Through Cover
(Get-R-Done Style)

Many Bass anglers avoid throwing a crankbait in the middle of heavy cover, simply because they think they will lose their crankbait.

I can personally tell you that if you fish it properly, you can fish the most heavy cover with a crankbait. All you have to do is take your time getting it through the vastness of the cover.

If you feel your bait crawling through the wood but then
suddenly it gets hung up, just stop your bait and give it some slack, most of the time the bait will surface on its own right up out of the cover.

Most important is that you will be able to sink your hook on plenty of lunkers that are not used to seeing much action, simply because most anglers refuse to fish there.

Square lipped crankbaits work best. The bigger the bait the better. I use the old Balsa Bagley series 2-3. they are big baits but will catch various sizes of bass. You can crawl these baits thru timber you'd have a hard time getting a spinnerbait thru.

Try to avoid the suspending crankbaits. You need a bait to float back over the snags and the suspending ones will sink slowly or suspend making it harder to clear possible snags. I prefer balsa crankbaits over plastic, they tend to be more buoyant and therefor less prone to snags. Use heavier than normal test line. I use 17# test and wouldn't go any lighter in most cases.

Watch your bait closely. Most of your strikes will come after your bait crosses over a limb so be ready. Plus there's nothing cooler than a fatty smacking the tar out of a crankbait right before your eyes. 

Fish the outside first. Always fish the outside of the blow down first. If you take a fish from the outside of the blow down you may not have disturbed the fish on the inside. Also fish them deep to shallow for the same reason. You will be able to catch more than one fish from each tree then. If you catch the inside fish first you'll most likely drag him over the outter branches and spook the outside fish.

Always remember what side of the tree the Bass are coming off of. If they are coming off the sunny side or shady side. You maybe able to eliminate a lot of unproductive water, by fishing only one side of a tree. If you do get a bite try to remember the angle in which you were running your crankbait down the tree. Then try to duplicate this angle at the next blow down.

In stained water a lot of the fish will be FACING the shore. So don't be afraid to work your bait thru the cover that is only a foot deep. If your running your crankbait a few feet away from shore your bait is behind the fish and they'll never see it.

As far as colors go use what you feel the water clarity dictates. I will use a brighter color that normal most off the time. 99% of your bites will be reaction bites in the wood anyway. I want the bass to be able to see my bait clearly so fire tiger or white is a good choice in any water color. Now, if you are more than ten foot in the water, the bass can not see color so it does not matter =)

If you do get hung up use the "snap" your line technique. Take your line slack that is between the first eye of the rod and the reel and pull it like your going to shoot a bow and arrow. Then let the line go quickly and it'll snap back. A lot of times this will free a snagged crankbait from wood or rock without to much disturbance to the cover. you many have to repeat this a few times but it does work.

Kal-Kevin

cmatiazzo
      ~shhh Do not give away all my secrets, that is were I have been using cranks for years. I normally run a baby 1- on 20 to 25 pound braided Stern line, in deep cover. I have found that the baby 1- will float free most of the times, but a good yanking well pull it free if it hooker up good. The funny thing is that some times it is when I hank it free that the hit comes. Just check the hooks and knot after a pull free it has been known to bend a hook once in a while. 8)

bass1cpr

There's a lot of good info in that letter, it's a good explanation of how to approach fishing heavy cover with a crankbait.  ~c~
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

Bassfshr4e

GONE FISHIN!!!

pipewrench

yeah , i have a buddy who is is self proclaimed "crankbait fisherman" he throws em anywhere , anytime , all the time. i've seen him work a crank through places where i would be scared to throw a fluke. i guess its all about confidence. personally , every time i tie one on it seems like the gar and shoepick come running. ~xyz

Kal-Kevin

Pipewhench I know what your saying there the worse part is when you see them coming and know there is nothing you can do to stop it. :'(   lost three of my best baits to the toothy  ~xyz  last year!

cmegee

I always keep a crank bait tied on while fishing heavy cover, most of my tournaments have been won cranking the timber, I will cover the whole spectrum while fishing a crankbait in wood, shallow, medium and deep diving Eddy Lures work great for this.

cmatiazzo

Thanks!!

Its working for me too  lo

BIG PAPA

Some great info there Michael ~c~ I have always been one to scare easily when thinking about a crank in tree tops etc. Maybe I need to rethink my tactics.
papa

Creel Limit Zero

You can even use suspending crank baits through heavy cover, but will have to trim the bottom hook off of each of the trebles.  This will allow you to sink the bait, and still run it right over any fallen timber without a snag. 

HoosierAngler

I'm a crank-a-holic myself- luv throw them things even in the nastiest stuff ;D Good article ~c~

Fisher With Pride

whoa how do u crank bait through lill pad like grass or wood or rocks
wont u snag thats unbelievable if ya can fish a crank bait lke that u rich or something cus lures cost like $1- even $10 for just 1 thing :-\ j~w ~bu ~sad
JAMES CHEN
THERE AINT NOTHING BETTER THAN FISHING WITH A FRIEND OR FAMILY MEMBER

Kal-Kevin

I have never lost a crank bait in the pads, I will put on 20 pound braided line. if  I get it stuck were it will not come out i just pull it hard, the most damage is a hook will need to be replaced.

cmegee

Another thing is that in pads you can usually use the trolling motor to go get it. And in deeper water with trees, I also keep a plug knocker with me to knock the hung baits off the limbs.

minijhouston

Great Article ~c~ ~c~ ~c~
But i still am a little worried about chucking my lure right into a pile of sticks and brush.  :'(

It's just a little intimadating  :shocking: but if it catches the big boys then it was well worthy the five lost lures before that. :)

Travis
Siggy Removed by admin - over sized - please read the rules.

CouchTater

Here on the Big-G, a Mann's 1 - ran thru the "vegitation" has been the key...  I never reall proclaimed my self as a crank bait guy, but I do have a few.  I have had a blast with the 1 - this year.

P.S.  To see the "vegitation" m talking about, look under the Alabama Reports and click on Guntersville Grass.  That will be a complete mat in a matter of a few weeks, then its rat time!!!!

Tater
@BamaBass Twitter
@BamaBass78 Instagram

Buzzman

one thing that I've learned over the years with crankbaits - be gentle. If the bait gets hung (hook on a branch, wedged in between rocks, etc.), don't lean into it. Let the pressure off and see if it backs itself out. If that doesn't work, GENTLY shake the crankbait (almost like shaking a worm on the bottom). 90% of the time, this shaking action and a little patience is all it takes to work the lure free (and all the time, you are still attracting fish).

bass1cpr

One key to working a cranbait is paying attention to your line I don't mean watching it I mean feeling it. When a crankbait comes up to a  piece of cover usually your line will get there first. IF you learn to tell the difference in the feel then you can be prepared and actually judge how far behind the line contact, your lure is.
     A good way to learn this is to find a laydown with large limbs without a lot of little limbs. Practice throwing to it to get the feel of the line comming into contact with the limbs then pay attention to how long it takes for the lure to make contact. IT will vary with different baits but you'll have a better idea of what your bait is doing and in turn improve your crankbaiting.

With practice you'll even feel your cranbait do a flip over a limb. Yes they will do a flip it's a really neat thing to learn. So far the easiest bait to do a flip with has been a Wiggle Wart. That was how I caught my first five pound Tournament fish.  ;D
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

John Cullum

I hear ya, Fishers with Pride. With a little pratice you'll be able to "worm" a crankbait thru cover with the best of them. I use the older Bagley Balsa series which go for around $40 bucks each now that they don't make them anymore. but the new Bagley or Lee Sissons will work just fine. No, I'm not rich so the method in the article I wrote is proven because I can't afford to lose any of my Bagley collection.. Thats why I was suggesting heavy line when your cranking heavy cover.

If your using a glass rod you may also choose to use braidedline. I don't use braided line for this method of fishing but you could. If you using a graphite rod I won't suggest a braided line. Something has to give when your fighting a big fish in cover. If your rod doesn't give and the line has no give the next thing in the chain is the fishes mouth or the bait.

You can fish lilly pads the same way as you do wood but it's a little more tricky. A big square lip is still the key to not getting snagged but your gonna get hung up a time or two regardless of what you do.