Alaska Fishing Reports: Interior (Fairbanks, North Pole, Delta Junction)

Started by MotherNature, June 27, 2004, 08:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotherNature

post your fishing reports......

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

silversalmon

Before my knee gave up on me, I had much success fishing for the lakers through the ice. Caught a 26" and a 29". If you ever find yourself up here, ensure you bring a compass or GPS on this lake so you know where your spots are, very easy to lose your hole ;D I am still waiting my 30"er out of that lake though ::)  These were caught on jigs and squid

United States Air Force 1994-present

silversalmon

Forgot to say where this lake is, located on the Richardson Highway in Salcha Alaska ;)

Mike Cork

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

silversalmon

Nah ~shade Heck yeah it is, but sure is a blast, they fisht all the way up to the hole too ~c~ Had my 29"er on the line for about 45 minutes before he gave up, can't wait to get back :o :o

silversalmon

Lots of ice fishin action last weekend. We found on Friday evening the spots where the big ones are hiding out by drilling about 15 holes around the lake :shocking:. Found the right spot, easy to get too right off my the point across from the beach area, one of my summer holes also  ~c~ Caught a few trout Friday evening, then on Saturday went out early and found the heavy hitters. Caught 13 fish, 8 rainbows all around 14-16 inches, and 5 char, 16-21 inches. The big fellow was 21" and just about 3 pounds. He would have been headin toward the saltwater this year for sure 8)  The battery on the camera died before I could snap the pictures ~rant  We are gonna try to head back out this weekend again  That is it for now, first time in just about 60 days that I got to fish ~c~, it was GREAT. There were about 6 of us out there, all in all, about 40 fish were caught and the sun was a shinin and the temp was 40 above with 38"es of ice  :shocking: ~c~

silversalmon

We set out this mornin looking forward to a good day of fishin, not lookin at the weather report :'( got out there and drilled a couple of holes. Qucikly realized I should have looked at the weather report as the HUGE dark snow clouds were movin in qucik :shocking: After catchin two trout had to pull chalks and get the heck outta there. The wind started up and the snow got heavy, and tomorrow is supposed to be the same darn way. Will go next weekend though, looks like a warmin trend headin this way up to 40-45 degrees by Saturday ~sweat. If that is the case you can bet your house I will be out there ~c~

Mike Cork

Gotta be careful with that stuff, when I was in Iceland it could get brutal and talk about get lost, I probably don't have to explain a white out to you  :roll2:

Cork's Reel Service

silversalmon

Nope, had my boy too, next time I will definitely be lookin at the old weather report, Ihad looked at it Friday and nothin was said bout that, changed it in the middle of the night ::) Thanks for changin the topic ~c~ ~c~, when the ice gets out, I will just start a new one, as Chena Lake ~c~ ~c~

silversalmon

A great day on the hard stuff ~c~. The sun was out in full force ~sun, thinks I may have gotten a sun burn ~sweat  Anyway, there was still about 36" of ice. Nate had a great day, I did not do too bad. Caught 3 fish, and Nate caught 4 fish. My buddies did well also. We had two first time icers lo and they were havin a blost. they did very good, with a bunch of trout. All of mine were char, the trout did not like me today :'(, and so were Nates.

Mike Cork

that's great Silver, allways good when you take newbies out and they catch fish. Plus it is alway fun to what your boy have a good time :toot:

Cork's Reel Service

silversalmon

That is the most important thing, havin a good time with my boy  ;D

silversalmon

Area rivers and streams are shedding their ice, and most lakes still have a layer of unsafe ice :'(. Quartz Lake ice has moved 15 to 20 feet off shore so rainbows should be biting there ~c~. Depending on wind direction over area lakes, shore fishing is often possible, but remember northern pike season does not open until June 1st. The wind will blow the ice pack right into your fishing hole :'( :'(

River levels are still pretty high, so fishing will probably not be very successful :'(, but when the waters drop and clear, things should pick up. Grayling fishing in the Chena River and its tributaries is catch and release only for the entire year. In the Salcha River and its tributaries, grayling fishing is catch and release until May 31st. Grayling are still migrating upstream, so good opportunities exist for hooking one of these fiesty, little fighters. Try spin fishing for grayling using size 0 or #1 spinners. Check your regulations for daily bag and possession and gear restrictions.

Several area lakes will be stocked between now and Memorial Day with catchable size rainbow trout. Some of the stocked lakes include: Bathing Beauty, Birch Lake, Chena Hot Springs #30, Pile Driver Slough, Little Harding Lake and more. ~c~ ~c~

silversalmon

Got out to the Badger Slough off Peede road. The whitefish fishing was really slow, the grayling have overrun the hole. Had most of my success on a black and red fuzzy jig. Drifted a fly a little too and caught a couple on that ~c~ The water was crystal clear ~c~ Will be looking for burbot at theend of moose creek and piledriver slough next week ;D

silversalmon

Quartz Lake is reporting really good catches of rainbow trout ~c~. The ice has moved about 100 feet from the shore and is no longer a player with the wind. ~c~  No more drifting into the fishing holes. The trout are schooling on the banks looking for their springtime bugs and spawning beds, no boat needed. The use of roe stock has been the most successful. Catches of 20 inches and larger being reported. The action for now is hot and heavy. Get out before the ice is completely gone and the fish move to their summer holes in the deeper areas of the lake. :-*

silversalmon

My son and I went to Polaris Lake and got SKUNKED :'( :'( Did not have the right bait for the night. The guy next to us had the key to success, SHRIMP ~c~ In 30 minutes he had 3 3-4 pound char ~c~ Know what I am using this weekend :-* ~c~ Fish using a bobber witht he bait only about 3-6 inches off the bottom with the shrimp ~c~ ~c~

silversalmon

ALLRIGHT, made up for the skunk ~c~ Went to Grayling lake and caught 6 char and 3 trout, all right around 16", the biggest being 21 inches ~c~ ~c~ Used squid and an egg, worked like a champ. ~c~

silversalmon

Had a TaeKwondo tournament this morning, and Nate took third in his age group ~c~ ~c~ There were about 15 kids there ~c~ After that to celebrate fo course, we had to do some fishing, could only go for about an hour or so, and we cought 2 fish using the squid and egg thing in Bathing Beauty pond ~c~ Both were just over 18", they were decent sized, had some gearth to them ~c~ Will be headin to Chena Lake tonight, love this day light ~c~ ~c~

silversalmon

Fished all evening Saturday till around midnight or so ~c~ Caught numerous trout ~c~ Grabbed a  ;PHO) of the biggest one, 20" and just about 3 pounds ~c~ Will get it up when developed. Used salmon egg and squid ~c~

silversalmon

Trout and char have now been stocked in Birch Lake and Lost Lake ~c~ ~c~ Average size of 10 inches, they will grow fast with the bugs comin out in full force lo

silversalmon

Numerous lakes have been stocked . These include Bathing Beauty, Hidden Lake, Grayling Lake, Ballaine Lake, and the Piledriver Slough. Mullens Pit, Otto Lake, adn Polaris Lake also make the list. Get the kids out and enjoy ~c~ ~c~

silversalmon

Fishing around here has been really good. A lot of the lakes have been stocked and loads of catches. I fished last night and caught about 20 rainbows in the course of a couple of hours at Hidden lake and Grayling Lake. Piledriver Slough is producing AWESOME grayling catches. Some larger grayling this year too, 20 inches and 2 and ½ pounds is not uncommon. ~c~ ~c~ ;PEP)

silversalmon

The pike are on the strike lo lo Caught 6 fish on Saturday with my topwater Rapapla, orange bellied minnow. The biggest one was 7 pounds and 38 inches out of Scout Lake ~c~ ~c~ Get out while its hot ~c~ ~c~

silversalmon

The kings are coming ~c~ :toot: They are headed up the Yukon and if they stay on schedule, they will be here by July 4th or shortly after ~c~ You know where I will be when I get back form catching Pinks and halibut on the 4th ~c~ ~c~

silversalmon

Burbot fishing remains good in the Tanana river at moose creek. Caught a total of 7 fish this weekend there. Average fish was about 30 inches, the largest being 34 inches ~c~ Cut trout as bait is working the best right now ;)