frozen lug nuts

Started by Plugger, May 11, 2009, 06:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plugger

Hey guys.  Need your help.  Went to change a tire on my trailer and all the lug nuts are frozen.  Put penetrating oil on the studs and used an impact wrench.  The studs started spinning in the the hub.  Now I'm wondering whether to take it to the shop or try to fix it myself.  Thought about a nut splitter and taking out the old studs.  Anyone have any good advise on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Plugger

OutdoorFrontiers

If the studs are spinning, then your choices are two.

(1) Break out the nut splitter.

(2) Take it to someone and have them fix the problem.

Which do you have more of, time/patience or money?  That will determine whether you go for Option 1 or 2.

Either way, you've got to get that problem fixed!

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Jarhead7138

I know the cow is out of the barn already, but if you put a bit of never sieze on the lug nut before you tighten it on the stud, it will keep them from freeezing up in the future, it won't affect the nut holding to the stud, you don't need alot either, I usually put it on with my finger, I put my finger in the can get some on just the tip and put a light coat around the the threads, I usually do all 5 lugs with what i get on 1 finger, as far as your current predicament, see post by OutdoorFrontiers, that pretty much sums up your options, good luck with it
I only work to support my fishing and hunting habits
Help Support our UB site, become a Charter Member