First time boat, seat replacement issue.

Started by jnicita, June 15, 2009, 01:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jnicita

I picked up a 89 Sea Nympth 17' aluminum tri-hull, the previous owner decided to extend the deck and make basically 1 deck front to rear, with exception of leaving the regular box for the "cock pit" (since I really don't know what this part of the boat is called). Anyways, the seats that came with it, were all seats that didn't have plastic in the construction, but actually wood on where the newer seats are ABS plastic now. I would say that the logo on them and comparing them to online retailers, I would say they look like low-back wise seats. They were really not that uncomfortable, and since the wood is all rotting now, I would assume that they must have lasted quite some time, something that the online reviews for the wise seats BLARE no longer exists, from what I can read, sounds like the new wise seats are 1 step (and barley that) better than just sitting on the lid that they are bolted too.

Anyways, with that said, and the fact that the drivers side back wood has now completely rotted and allowed the seat to fold over backwards, I went online and ordered 2 new seats from Cabella's, I choose their "Fisherman's Series" seats because they looked nice in three colors to me (blue/grey/white) and the base depth and width measured the same as my existing seat. This is where it gets all strange. I cant even fit behind the wheel anymore. Event though the seat bolts in the same location, it has to do with the back, the higher back or more padding in the back causes me to sit about 2 inches more forward. I cant squish my rear end back all the way into the seat because the extra width of the back padding is hitting my lower back and pushing me forward. I checked the angle, and the new seats back angle is the same as the old seat, its just 2" thicker and pushing out.

Anyone ever experience this? I would have never fathomed this issue, and almost made the mistake of ordering 2 more for the front and rear pedestal mounts. Now, I've been searching online for seats that specify for "tight clearance", "small captains area" and really haven't even found anyone mentioning it in a forum let alone on a for sale site, so I know I don't know what the hell I am saying, and am looking for the wrong thing. Can someone help me out here? Tell me how to describe my situation correctly and what to look for, would it be "extra shallow depth?" Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

I really wish I could have gotten the color pattern of the fisherman in the wise low back seat, but I didn't see them. I'm tempted to just order 2 wise low back seats, but I would prefer something that has a decent review, I cant find anything above a 1.5 or 2 out of 5 for the wise seats. Kind of hard to imagine the saturation of the market with them if they are that bad, but then again, cheap something sells as much as good.

Thanks in advance, now to try to figure out or ask if the wise seat low back and the high back would change anything except the height of the back rest, I would prefer that, but I also understand with the high back, it makes the seat harder to fold up and lift to get access to the cooler under the captains chair since when the high back is folded over, it is deeper than the low back chair..

Thanks again, I will be looking forward to everyone's input, getting ready on July 1st to July 24th to camp/fish in Bridgeport Ca, and the many lakes all around that area. now that I have a boat, the lead core line and the rest of the trolling setups are being acquired with the hopes of some brown trout fishing in the area known for those larger deeper water trout.

guardrail

Is there any way you can fabercate a straight peice of steel to bolt to the floor and move the seat back far enough and mark it then bolt it to the peice of steel ~read