The Delta Bass Fishing Reports

Started by MotherNature, June 27, 2004, 10:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotherNature

Big boats but a lot of places to catch nice fish...

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

Rich Thiel

Luariiiiiiiiiiiiii

The Delta is 48 on Main water and 52 in deadend slough's.  The bite is slow with guy's finding fish on flats near 15' dropoff's or ledges.  They've been crank'in them with Rattle-Trap's and speed traps in Red Craw.  I'll be out on New Year's day with a new Ranger and I'll let you know what the bite is,  LOL!!!! if I can get bite.

Rich Thiel
Professional Guide on the California Delta, Lake Berryessa and Lake Del-Valle
The Best time of day is when your in your boat Fish&amp;#039;in.....
http://www.richhookpointthielsgserv.homestead.com/Rich.html
Roboworm.com
Quickdrops
Fish Hedz

Mike Cork

rich looking forward to a report, we used to fish out there regularly back in the early 90's

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Rich Thiel

With all this rain that is currently hitting the West Coast the Delta fishing is way off with the Water temp's in the high 40's.   I fished it for 2 days in a row, with little success.   The third day I went up too Lake Del Valle here in the Livermore Valley and smacked them silly in 40-50ft of water using Robo worm's (Morning Dawn's).

Best 5 went 13 and change.  There was a 9.32lb and a 6 that came out of here on the 2nd.

Rich Thiel
Roboworm.com
Quickdrops
Fish Hedz

Mike Cork

I remember back in the early 90's when I would get to fish the Delta, a good rain sure stirred things up and put a hurting on the bite.

Can you hook us up with a fishing report in Lake Del Valle with water conditions. That way folks searching the site don't miss it. Thanks

Cork's Reel Service

Rich Thiel

Between the Spring rain's and windy day, the spawn for the first wave is overwith.  FLW Everstate was here last week and it took a 4lb average per fish to play for 4 days.  Steve Sapp won the Tournament.  The spawn was ending has the tournament was ending. 

Look'ing for post-spawner's to appear.  I've been out since the FLW and the biggiest was a 5.39 for the day best five only went 13.57 in a AC tournament.  I'll be out 3 more times this week to check for quality fish areas for the May 14th tournament .  Looking for at least a 3 1/2lb average to see a check,  Best is a 4lb average.  Water Temp in the delta varie's considerable from 57 to as high as 66 degree's.

BASS will be here at the end of the month.  This for sure will require a 4lb average to win it and it can be done.

1000 miles of waterway and I been on every inch of it.  hmmmmm going South tomorrow with a push pole and cell phone LOL.

Rich Thiel
Professional Guide
California Delta
Lake Berryessa
Lake Delvalle
(925)292-5024
(Cell) 510-289-3748
Roboworm.com
Quickdrops
Fish Hedz

Richard Thiel

Well the Summer bite is in full swing.  Its July 1st and the weather is in the 90's, water temp is 73 at 3PM.  With this weather the FROG Bite is on with a lot of action.  Lately my guide trips are averaging 16 to 24 fish in a 8-9 hour period.  

Been catching them under hyichyn or thick grass.  The cheese is just starting to show and should produce in about 2-4 weeks.  It will form quick has long as we don't have anymore cold spells.  To get these many bites,  Three main rod setups are required>

1.  Frog (Snagproof-Bobby's Perfect Frog) or (Swamp Donkey)
2.  Buzzbait
3.  Senko or a floating worm

If any of you Eastern'ers planning a trip to Northern California give me a call.  All tackle is furnish.

Tight Lines

Richard Thiel
Professional Guide
California Delta
(925)292-5024 or just click on the URL below to see whats up on the Left Coast

Rich Thiel

Here is a August 1st update for the California Delta:  Conditions are good for a summer bite.  The fish or either in current or right on the edge of it.   Average limits are going at 15lb for best 5 and exceptional is 20lbs.  There has been some frog bites going on but have been limited too some area's on the Delta.  Im looking for that to pick right back up soon.

The days have been in the high 90's during the day on land and on water in the 80's with an afternoon breeze.

For more information or a trip call> (925)292-5024 or just hit my web-site at>
www.richhookpointthielsgserv.homestead.com/Coverpg.html   and you can e-mail me.

Tight Lines Richard Thiel
Roboworm.com
Quickdrops
Fish Hedz

Delta_24/7

Well I'm no Flipn Wizard like Rich Thiel is....but I do catch 'em from time to time
and 2/13/06 was one of them day's. The water temps around the middle delta
are 52-54 right now, still a good stain in most area's, but clearing nicely. I threw
jig-n-pig (blk and blu) for several solid 2.5-4 lb fish and then got on a good bite
throwing a TR 7" Yammie cuttail with 1/4oz bullet wt pegged, landed 5 fish
with it all 3-5 lbs. Nice day, lite wind.

Mike Cork

Thanks for the update, glad to have you aboard Delta_24/7 When do you expect the spawn to start up on the Delta :-\

Cork's Reel Service

Delta_24/7

Mike,
Good question, probably as early as mid March (if things warm) to early-mid April and last on through July and August. I know, July-August?? Yes, I catch spawning bass all through the summer, albeit fewer in number than April May but spawners nonetheless. We're having crap weather right now and a severe cold snap last week, but I was out on the Delta Sunday past and the water was still near 54 deg. So we'll just have to wait and see.

Delta_24/7

~rain When will the rain end! I can't answer that, but I will say the Delta is becomming
more productive, bigger fish everyday, yesterday's tournament 25 lb 5 fish limit wasn't
good enough to even get a check, 33-34 lbs won it! I fished by myself yesterday, had
an excellent day, caught 20 or so fish and everyone of them a keeper. I also tied a fly
on and caught 3 nice fish on a clouser minnow pattern. The only thing stopping the big
fish from spawning is the water temp, last Sat it was 58 in some places, yesterday it
was mainly 54-55 everywhere I went. Best bait was a jig-n-pig blk w/red, strike pro
rat'l and after that is was the sluggo in "bling, bling" (blk with gold flake).

Delta_24/7

The Delta is definitely a place unto itself. Right now conditions range from chocolate milk too stained with 2'-3' ft visibility. I fished Saturday and Sunday with varying conditions from scattered clouds to light rain both days. Saturday was the better of the two, we had 23 lbs for 5 fish, 25-30 fish overall, best fish was 6lbs on the money along with a handfull of 4-5 lbers. Best fish are still coming from pig-n-jig and 9L senkos.
Sunday 4 fish, best fish was 2 lbs!!!!! Amazing and conditions Sunday were nearly identical except for a very
small increase in Barometric pressure. I still can't stand all the rain, allergies are gonna be torture this year everywhere you look weeds are 3 ft tall. This year more than any that I recall in the past 20 years living in Oakley I am seeing with great regularity Sea Lions all over the Delta, today we saw 3 or 4 up in Discovery Bay, it's not that I have never seen them up there, it's just now I run into the on almost every trip, what's next Great Whites following the Sea lions up river-I guess that would get some of the skiers off the water :)

Delta_24/7

California Dept. of Water Resources has closed the Delta do to high flows and
expected dam releases up stream until Friday 4/14 at noon. My guess is they will then extend it into next week sometime, there is still another storm coming in later this week, the current storm is dumping alot of
water as it has stalled over north state. I think I'm gonna head down to East Cape B.C. and warm my bones and see if I cant find some in-shore fishing.
Adios Amigo's

Delta_24/7

Fished Friday May 26th with my friend Todd. We fished the North Delta, Georgiana, Mokulemne, Hog and Sycamore
sloughs. Weather was tough, cold front and 20-35 knot winds all day. We started at 6:30 from B&W Resort, we caught 15 fish for the day, not even close to what I had hoped for. A mix of smallies and largemouth and a rare spotted bass_my first ever for the Delta, I know they're here in small numbers, have been with my brother when he landed one (a tagged fish) but this is my first one. Anyway Delta is tough right now, I'll post more later when we start cathing them again.

Mike Cork

Thanks for the updates, I used to get to fish the delta occassionaly and it is cool to read about it again. Didn't know they had spots in there. Is that something the state is trying out?

BTW 15 fish is still beats working ;)

Cork's Reel Service

Delta_24/7

Wow, the month of June has been phenomenal. Top water has been
awesome, same for jigs, senkos, spinnerbaits and I've even broke down
a tossed a frog just to mix it up. The heat is on, 103 degrees today and
forecast 105+ the next few days. I'm moving to my summer pattern 5AM-
10AM or 6PM - Midnight, the heat on the water is just too much for me.
Early morning poppers, spooks, buzzbaits etc... are knocking them dead,
if you can take the heat mid morning early afternoon jig bite has been best
to pull in something worth talking about, black/blue, brown/orange jigs
have been best for me, a blue flake zoom chunk has been what they wanted.
Funny, I have 3-4 favorite senko colors 051, 021, 196 and 208 are primary
on the Delta for me, lately they will take anything even a sissy colored
pink bubblegum senko. It's worked out, I've been able to use up stuff
I haven't touched in a few years. Best popper has been the Heddon
pop-n-image (??) I toss the factory hooks and go with a black owner
round bend #4 up front and a red owner round bend #4 in the rear, only
I tye on some feather to the rear hook, sparse too much affects the popping
(blupe blupe) action.
Good luck-be safe. ~tumble

Scarecrow

Hows the salt water doing down around Rio Vista? I was told its getting up a ways.
Gone fishin. Be back tomorrow. Mabey.

Delta_24/7

Don't believe everything you hear, haha. Salt intusion is a big deal, generally in mid winter prior to runoff coming through the system. I don't believe it's any worse now than 10 years ago. Tell you what though, it's striper and salmon time :) and this is the place to get them, 4-5 stripers have been caught recently tipping scales at 50+ lbs, biggest salmon I know of was over 50 lbs as well. The Delta is the best place you can be for BIG ownery fish ~sun

Scarecrow

I grew up along HWY160 just west of Isleton. Had a lot of fun fishing along the river.
Gone fishin. Be back tomorrow. Mabey.

Delta_24/7

If that's the case then you have seen many, many changes through the years. Must have been a lot of fun to have grown up next to the river. The river is an ever changing place, I only hope they don't destroy it, our government has a knack at doing just that.  ~shade

Delta_24/7

Fishing on the Delta is still good. Water is cooling down 57-59 deg in most places. Striper bite has been decent, some big fish landed, up to low 50#'s. Salmon good at times, it's an odd run so far, numbers are down quite abit. This is my favorite time of year to fish the river, lots of wildlife otters, muskrats, beaver, mink, sandhill cranes, duck and geese, pretty nice place to be. Enjoy the upcomming holidays! God bless our men and women in uniform.

Sandhill cranes flying over.

Typical Delta bass, 2-3 lbs

Sunset on the river, how sweet it is.

Mike Cork

I used to get to fish the delta several years ago, those pictures sure bring back some memories ~c~ ~c~ Thanks for sharing ;)

The Striper and salmon runs were something I never really got into but I didn't complain when one of the big stripers thought a crank bait or top water looked good, man that is one fighting fish :o

Cork's Reel Service

Delta_24/7

Well if you like catching stripers, this one would have been a handfull. Fellow by the name of Mark Brown caught this in Discovery Bay, I understand it burried a 35lb scale, so the actual weight is unknown. Incredible fish.

Mike Cork

Yep that's a monster, the kind of fish that will tear up some bass fishing equipment :roll2:

Cork's Reel Service