Cachuma Bass Fishing Reports

Started by MotherNature, June 27, 2004, 10:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calincalif50

Great report Stan. 

Sounds like it was fun and the weather nice but not too hot.  Wish i could have joined you, but...well you know the story

calincalif50

Sunday 20 Nov, weather mild, cool mornings, warming to mid 70s in the day. Was told the water was only in the low 60s as my fish finders do not have temps on them.  W.O.N. Bass was there Saturday and 12 pounds took the trny.  Maybe they caught all the keeper fish as I wnet everywhere; went to Harris cove, Little Cachuma, Cachuma and Santa Cruz.   I caught 5 fish, only one was a keeper, and it was a smallie about 13 inches.  Just a 1 keeper caught on a drop shot in 10 feet of water, on a jig and shot ( drop shot with a jig on the bottom as the weight, I think some call it a Texas drop shot) anyway I caught it on green/brown worm and every other fish that was caught was on the same rig.  I couldn't buy a crank bite, nor a senko, buzz bait early in the am..nothing.  Used a DLN, DD 14, 17, and a 22 with no takers.  All with shad pattern...still no takers.  I hit and stuck every bush I could find.  Will try something different on Saturday.

At least I got my glide sticks on the bunks and what a difference it makesboat slides up so easy now, and pulls off with ease.  Now to change my bow stop.

Dean

Here goes for Saturday's report... 4 fish, two keepers.  Two caught on dropshot worm, one on a jig, and one on a creature bait.  Dropshot was on calm (relative term given Saturday's wind) banks and actually missed 2 other bites, one that took it sideways but left marks, and one took the tail.  The jig and creature were used on ridiculously windy banks pitched and casted to brush near points. 

Mike Cork

Dean, how deep are the fish getting this time of year?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Stan

I'll add to that report.  26 Nov 05, WX Clear skies 38-58 degrees, windy 17-20mph all day, caught 10 bass only two were keepers, and 5 trout all on crankbait in 8-12ft of water, water temp 58-59.
Stan

calincalif50

ME TOO!!!

Sat 26 Nov..ditto conditions...caught 6 fish, 3 keepers.  1 on crank bait in 10-12 feet, 2 on drop shot with tiny brush hog watermelon red flake...same hole no wind, up against the bank throwing into 10 feet of water.  Should have stayed there. 

Total weight was 3 lbs 4 oz, 5 oz behind the winner Dean.

lost a drift sock on jack rabbit flats to very windy conditions.  Guess I'll have to buy a bigger one next time with stronger cord

Dean

Quote from: Mike on November 28, 2005, 06:18:49 AM
Dean, how deep are the fish getting this time of year?

There were a lot in 18-26ft, but with the wind so bad, I caught mine in 8-15.  If it had been a calmer day, I would have even fished around 45 ft on some of the rocks.  A few good one hangin' out there, but NO WAY to get there with the boat going 15 mph WITH the drift sock!  I'm sure there will be better days soon.

Stan

1 Dec 05, WX clear skies to partly cldy, 45-65 degrees, What a difference a few days makes, no wind lake looked like a mirror,  Water temp 57-59.  Caught 12 bass, 6 were keepers about 1-2lbs.  Most fish were caught in 15-22 feet of water.  Today was the first day this winter I decided to learn how to drop shot.  All fish were caught on drop shot with the exeption of one caught on a crankbait, had to throw it at least a few times.   All in all it was a good day, learned alot about the feel when drop shotting.  Oh yeah didn't catch any trout this time.
Stan

Dean

Went to Cachuma last Friday (or was it Sat?) and caught 12 including a 4.2 largemouth, and 2.7 lb smallmouth.  Eight of them really nice fish, and 4 dinks.  All on T-rig in 10-25 ft. from main lake to the first points into a creek.