Roll Call

Started by Bassthumb, October 26, 2009, 10:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassthumb

As I visit this site daily, I can't help but notice the lack of activity in here.  I figured I would try an generate some discussion within our military family to see what is going on, who is where, and if anyone wants to discuss the local fishing scene (I don't do ice).

So, I will break the ice...

I plan on purchasing some new rods over the off-season, buy some LC jerkbaits, tungsten weights and buy a rod case.

The boat is winterized and stored.  This year, a friend has let me use his storage unit here in town, so i have access and I plan on topping off batteries every 45 days.  I have used Victory Marine in Fremont for last 4 years and they are inexpensive, but this is closer and allows me to prep for those early tournaments, without having to put the boat in my garage and park the truck in the snow.

Going to handgun hunt for a big buck this year.  Have a biggun' located, just hoping the archery guys don't get him.  Have to sight in the muzzleloader for Dec yet (I have a guy in Iowa on a big farm that lets me shoot).

No plans to leave this area, have a 5-month old grandson to spoil.

your turn.
Retired USAF MSgt (1W071A)            2008 Triton Tr-196
Plattsmouth, NE                  Mercury Optimax 200
B.A.S.S   NE B.A.S.S. Federation   FoMNTT participant (never again)                   Omaha-River City Bass Club

Bassthumb

This is bad, apparently I am the only one left in this discussion area...
B.A.S.S   NE B.A.S.S. Federation   FoMNTT participant (never again)                   Omaha-River City Bass Club

-Bryan-

No, I only check in every few days because there isn't a whole lot of activity from the average dunderhead!  I will write more when I get to work...
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

-Bryan-

More... ~roflmao

Nobody really stops by anymore...I think it's just you and me that do.  The tent pegs are busy with other stuff, Drain-o grew up and got a job, and other than that, I really pretty much lost contact.  I did get Jeff's retirement ceremony invite, but I won't make it to that...wish I could tho.

Bassthumb

Are you ever coming back this way?

-Bryan-

We actually plan on retiring in the Ozarks if at all possible, we would like to buy some property around Table Rock and maybe build, but it doesn't have to be right there.  Really depends on jobs at this point.  I am just about done with school and will hit 25 years this summer...hope to be on terminal leave when that happens...now is when I will accidentally make SMSgt and then have to make that decision...but at least if I did that, we would PCS from this place.  There are a lot of bass here, but the drive from town to a good place to fish is what I have a problem with.  I guess I was just too spoiled to realize how good I had it in Omaha...lots of water close by and it wasn't really frozen for that long each year.  What, we have ice for about 60 days tops?

-Bryan-

Doug,
Are you going out to Halsey this year?

Bassthumb

No.  I have a statewide buck tag, but i am hunting a potential nebraska record deer (if he is still alive).  Next year. maybe, again.

-Bryan-

Keep me posted on how the hunt goes, would like to see pics if it turns out well, record or not.

Bassthumb

I have a superstition about cameras and hunting.  But, I will see what I can do.  Anyway, I will hunt for this big boy until the last weekend, then my standards will drop quickly.  I don't usually buy that expensive tag, but i waited one day to long for the Wahoo tag, so I will fill it, regardless of how big it turns out to be.

The corn is still up! I drove by there last night, and the darned corn is still in.  It will be hard to hunt unless the harvester(s) drives in on Sat.  My spies tell me we are still pre-rut, so cruisers may be hard to find until farmer green jeans cuts off the buffet.

complac3ncy

Hi tracker, don't know you personally but i'm Joe. I've been on offutt for a couple years now and fish / have fished with alot of these guys on the boards and that live and work around the base. I've been doing the intramural T's pretty solid the last two years and also fish some locals and sometimes find a partner to fish the trails.

I don't have any plans for this winter that involve anything outdoors. When it gets less than 30 or so i stay indoors...i'm a cold blooded floridian. My boat will be winterized any weekend now and I'm planning maybe 1-2 more local outings. I'm looking for options on where I can store it over the winter.

I went to Drayer's retirement ceremony. I got a feeling he will end up sticking around here.

I'll be deploying to afghanistan January 30th for 6 months so i'm going to miss a good bit of the fishing year next year. I am already looking at some new rigs.  ;) Will likely PCS in fall of 2010.

-Bryan-

Hey Joe!
If you fish with them much, you might have heard about me anyhow...dang near a legend in my own mind in that group.  I do have a lot of good friends in the old Offutt Anglers circle...some have moved on and some are permanent fixtures down there.  If it all works out, I will retire in the summer and be able to vacate the frozen north and head to warmer climes...I am tired of being one of the "Frozen Chozen" for sure...but, "Only the best come north"!  Or so the saying goes...
My biggest drawback is my wife and I finding decent government jobs in an area we want to live.  But, with our retirement checks (she retired last year), we should at least be able to eat regularly...

Maybe we'll get a chance to fish together and have a cold one around a Three Mile or Mozingo fire pit one of these days...

Bryan

Bassthumb

They cut some of the corn on Thursday, some on Friday, and sure enough got the last bit on Saturday.

Saw ten on Sat.  No shooters, and no big boy.  Bucks just running with does, or single bucks running with head down.

Saw 23 on Sunday, had an 8 point about the size of the 8 in my basement, run a doe.  she bedded down about 60 yards to my 10 o'clock.  He laid down at 1:20.  A spike walked up, forcing the 8 to push him off, still no shot.  Eventually they run over the hill and disappeared.  Meanwhile, 2 button bucks appear at my 3 o'clock and start following my trail toward me.  then, out of nowhere, Mr. 8 walks up the bank in front of me.  He does not present a kill shot, but is within 30 yards.  He and the buttons stare down, and he moves to behind 4 trees and stands there for almost an hour.  The buttons get behind me, and stand there.  Then, he lays down, showing only the tip of his nose.  Eventually, his doe shows in the gorge below him. the buttons finally wonder off, and I see a big buck at my 2 o'clock out a 95 yards.  He is bigger than the 8 and I can see that without binocs.  I have been fighting a cough all morning, when I finally cant hold it and cough three times and hock a loogie...the 8 doesn't move, nor does his doe.  At 4:40, he stands giving me no shot, then slides over the hill.  the bigger buck also slides over the hill.  Then I catch the small 8 and the doe climb the ridge opposite where the descended.  He mounts her, but she runs further west.  Then at 5:00, I get my gear on, and get ready for the last 15 minutes of light, when 2 bucks start fighting about 150 yards to my 10 o'clock. I can see them, they are big and both have nice racks.  they fight right down into the gorge, and are getting closer and closer, when one breaks and runs like hell, past the ground blind and I see him cross the dam (no second deer).  At that precise moment, out from the 10:00 position, comes the doe, and with her is a spike.  he get on top, but she runs.  in fact, she runs around the west flat 3 times, then crosses the gorge and ends up out in front of me with the spike in tow.  Then out of nowhere a small fork runs in and mounts the doe, who runs, and another small 6 comes in and the four of them are out in front of me running and chasing.  I look back to my 3 o'clock, and standing in the opening is a big-racked buck, but vitals are behind the only tree.  He is definite shooter, looked like a nice 8 or a smallish 10 (in the fast fading light).  I drop to one knee in the stand and when he moves I grunt him to stop, which he does after three steps leaving me no shot (he is at 40 yards and I have the iron sighted .44 mag).  He again steps out and i grunt (keep in mind I have 4 deer out in front of the stand which i am not paying attention to).  He again stops with no shot, and just when I have him, he bolts and runs out into the grass behind Dale's.  I turn back to the melee and watch the doe, a spike, and fork, and a very small six run past me at 10 yards out into the grass.  I climb down and jump another buck not previously seen while I make my way to the open spot next to xxxxx's field (where I saw a buck and doe last night).  It is now to dark to see for anything longer than a 50 yard shot, so I scoot over to the dam for the last minute, and on the field edge to the east is a monster moving south.  could have rifled him, but not with the .44.  Now its flat-out dark, and I just walk out.  I start across the bean field, and walk straight into 3 doe just standing there, and close to 25 yards before they run.  Somewhere in the fray today I saw 23 deer, and cocked the .44 at least 8 times, but never shot.  Next trip will require the .270, and with the scope, I will not have to wait on shots because I can thread that bullet between trees and have a scope that has very good light gathering qualities.

So, I think I may have pneumonia after these last two days.  I was pretty sick Sun morning, and didn't even go out till about 10, and got to the stand at 10:49.  I held back coughs all day, and shivered like a dog passing peach pits...

complac3ncy