What are some good panfish spinning rods?

Started by Gangly, January 04, 2010, 02:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gangly

I recently recieved an Abu Garcia Cardinal 501i reel for christmas that I will be using for crappie and perch.  I have no spinning rods for this reel and am looking for a decent rod to go with it for pan fishing.  I use arificial lures that range from 1/32 to 1/4, with most being on the lighter side of that parameter.  I would like to stay around 75 dollars or less if possible.  What rod is a decent match for that spinning reel considering the type of fishing that I will be using it for?  I'll add that I'm pretty rough on rods so a warranty, even a 1 yr warranty, would be nice.  Thank you for any and all suggestions.
Aaron Z

To get a fish, take your rod, to get a memory, take your child

"Whose your favorite Little Rascal......Spanky?"

Dug

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

Gangly

will do.  what length, and what action do you suggest?
Aaron Z

To get a fish, take your rod, to get a memory, take your child

"Whose your favorite Little Rascal......Spanky?"

Dug

I missed your lure weights in the first posting sorry. for that Action if you want to go down to 1/32 should be light, but I would go with a Clarus Spinning Rod 6'2" ML Ft Taper  Lure Weight: 1/16-5/16 

or   All Star Team Spin Rod 6'4" Light  Lure Weight: 1/32-3/8

Dug

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.

basnbud

I have had a Berkley Cherrywood rod, 6-6 med for a couple of years now I use for bream and crappie. I love it, I can cast farther with it than I have been able to with others I used.  I have caught bass up to six pounds on it useing four lb test. I got it at wal-mart, they should be under twenty bucks. The only thing I don't like about it is the grips, they have a thin layer of cork over a foam core, and after a lot of use, the cork is starting to come off.

Basnbud

If you ain't plannin....you plottin !

TProud

I dont have the money to throw down like I see most ppl spend but I like ugly sticks for that. They are cheap, durable ( I've had the tip nearly touching the reel on a bass).  And they have a 3 year warranty?

luvbassfishin

hey some cheaper rods for panfish are the whuppin stick and the wally marshall rods at bps

EZ-GO

My poor old daddy loved to fish and at the price of the rods quoted in the range of $35 to $70 he would kick off all the dirt off he has got covering him up  lo

Pferox

I have a couple of nice cheap panfish rods.

The whuppin stick in 7ft medium is a great rod, kind of whippy in the tip, but casts light stuff superbly, and still has the hoospba to bring in some good sized cats. I got em a while back around 20 bucks each.

I don't know if they still sell them at wally's but there was a graphite rod (can't remember the dang name of it) made by shakespear that sold around 12 bucks, probably 16 by now, the 7 foot spinning rod came in medium, it wasn't whippy like an ugly or whoopin stick, but it would cast light lures a long way, and was very light and sensitive, especially with braid. I bought 6 of em, over the course of a couple of years, and have only broken one in 5 or 6 years, and have used them a whole lot in both fresh and salt water.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim