top ten lakes in the u.s

Started by biglunkerberry, February 15, 2010, 10:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biglunkerberry

im wondering what the top ten lakes are in the u.s that have 10lbs+ bass. if you have a suggestion please post lake name and state. thank you.

Joe Essex Bass DeVoe

Falcon Lake         Texas
Lake Fork            Texas
Lake amistad       Texas
Clear lake            California
The Big O            Florida
St. Johns River     Florida
California Delta     Calfornia

There are alot more lakes out there especially in California that are big bass lakes. Alot of them are electric motor only though. These are the few that came off the top of my head.

etommy28

St. Johns River/ rodman     Florida
Clear lake            California
Lake iskapoga       Florida
Falcon Lake         Texas
Lake Fork            Texas
Lake amistad       Texas
The Big O            Florida
California Delta     Calfornia
orange lake          Florida
Kissimee chain       Florida

in order, i think these are the to 10

screwballl

2 specific small FL panhandle lakes with excellent large bass populations is Lake Stone and Lake Victor, both are 130 acres but shad and bass are continuously stocked and fed well.
My wife and I had 22 happy years... then we got married.

deadbox

It would be hard not to include Bienville in this.

Bienville, Fl

pawpaw

There have been a bunch of 13+ bass caught out of OH Ivie in Texas, but thats a secret.  ~shhh
I don't mind not knowing all the answers, but I keep forgeting the danged questions.

GotstaFish

Quote from: pawpaw on September 11, 2010, 04:49:37 PM
There have been a bunch of 13+ bass caught out of OH Ivie in Texas, but thats a secret.  ~shhh
Thats my next trip! But don't tell anyone  ~shhh  lo
[Please enable JavaScript to see this content]

-Shawn-

Karl, you stay away from my fish!!  ~b~ ~b~ ~b~ lo lo lo

OH Ivey  TX
Falcon    TX
Lake Fork TX

-Bryan-

Quote from: -Shawn- on September 12, 2010, 02:02:59 AM
Karl, you stay away from my fish!!  ~b~ ~b~ ~b~ lo lo lo

OH Ivey  TX
Falcon    TX
Lake Fork TX

I vote for OH Ivey and Amistad...hope to fish Falcon one of these days too.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Mike Cork

How about a lake that has registered over 150 ten pound plus bass in the last 6 years? That's just the ones that were registered. Then a sixteen pounder was caught twice, yes the same fish.

Caddo Lake, it's a border lake on Texas and Louisiana that doesn't get the big press. It's no falcon, but it definitely ups the odds.

Many lakes listed here are excellent.

I've fished the California Delta and Clear Lake a bunch in the early 90's and OMG they were only good then, now their amazing...

No Falcon or Amistad for me but their records speak for themselves.

The Big O, well it's amazing how many big fish are in that lake a day full of 6 pounders is common, and Lake iskapoga, well I've  seen many ten pounders caught there.

Lake Fork, what can you say I've caught 8 and 9 pounders that weren't keepers, per acre this lake has more big fish than any I've fished.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

TNDiver

I would add Kentucky Lake/Barkley (KY/TN) to the list.  Not sure if it is top ten, but my guess is it is up there.  Also Dale Hollow, also on the border, holds the record for Smallmouth, but probably not consistently.
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

bassincali

i live on the ca delta and just got back from clearlake last weekend picked up a jon boat in the snow will have boat ready in two weeks should have it dialed in by spring.

bassindude

One more Florida lakes would be The Harris Chain.  I would say that to be a true top 10 list they would need to be able to support a national size tournament.  There are likely a ton of small lakes that have plenty of 10+ bass in Texas, Louisiana, and Florida.  Probably many in California, Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi also.  Jim
Jim ><///'>><///'>

Bigwrench

Anyone know of any Va lakes that might make the list ? :)
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

Creel Limit Zero

Quote from: Bigwrench on December 23, 2012, 04:18:26 PM
Anyone know of any Va lakes that might make the list ? :)

The only one that I know that continues to register ten pounders is Lake Anna.  The warm water discharge offers year round forage and feeding allowing the chance for a ten in VA.  While nowhere near what those listed, but there is a chance there.

Bigwrench

Quote from: Creel Limit Zero on December 23, 2012, 05:21:49 PM
The only one that I know that continues to register ten pounders is Lake Anna.  The warm water discharge offers year round forage and feeding allowing the chance for a ten in VA.  While nowhere near what those listed, but there is a chance there.

Thanks Creel I'm gonna have to check that one out now !  Might be my only chance at a double digit !
Stop by the Garage and let me know if you have Maintenance issues that you need assistance with.

-Bryan-

Same with Nelson Lake in North Dakota...only place I know of where you can launch a boat at 20 below...not that you would want to...but that's only if they plow the ramps.

hockeyref

We keep haveing this mild winter and you may see the upperbay and the potomac here in Maryland make a jump to the top the fishing around here is getting better and better every year.
BALTIMORE SAINTS SPIECAL HOCKEY
Team Outcast
TBF Maryland

-Bryan-

Quote from: Mike Cork on December 23, 2012, 11:45:28 AM
No Falcon or Amistad for me but their records speak for themselves.

You know you have folks on this side of the state that will always have a place for you to stay and an open boat should you decide to venture out...

Bassthumb

I knew I should have driven down over Xmas...
Retired USAF MSgt (1W071A)            2008 Triton Tr-196
Plattsmouth, NE                  Mercury Optimax 200
B.A.S.S   NE B.A.S.S. Federation   FoMNTT participant (never again)                   Omaha-River City Bass Club

Creel Limit Zero

Quote from: hockeyref on January 05, 2013, 10:59:46 AM
We keep haveing this mild winter and you may see the upperbay and the potomac here in Maryland make a jump to the top the fishing around here is getting better and better every year.

You got that right.  Record was caught on the Potomac just a few years ago, and the weights on the upperbay seem to be much more consistent and better than the Potomac.  If this winter stays mild, I'm betting the Upper Bay is going to give up a new state record this Pre-spawn.   ~c~

-Bryan-

Quote from: Bassthumb on January 07, 2013, 08:49:45 AM
I knew I should have driven down over Xmas...
Doug, Give it a month or so...February should be good, especially if we get the rain we are supposed to get tomorrow and Wednesday...

Eric-Maine

-Bryan-

Quote from: Eric-Maine on January 07, 2013, 01:00:03 PM
No Lake Erie or Champlain?
I personally have zero desire to ever fish either one, sorry but tha's just my opinion.

-Shawn-

Quote from: Mike Cork on December 23, 2012, 11:45:28 AM

Lake Fork, what can you say I've caught 8 and 9 pounders that weren't keepers, per acre this lake has more big fish than any I've fished.

You know I have alot of Love for Fork, But it doesn't hold a candle to Falcon on Sheer Numbers of big fish.
Your looking at 19 fish over Thirteen pounds in the last 2 years and 3 over 14............. That is just the ones I know about.  It did Fish Tough at new Years, but the Fish were Still there.  You could mark Huge fish on the ledges all over the lake.

We have to get you and Laurie over there.  It is just something you have to experience to believe.

Fisher of Men

As you mentioned Mike theres no telling the amount of big fish that are not registere with Bass life.  Caddo can be a moody lake but keeps me going back everytime to catch that 16+ lber
Choose today who you will serve, but as for me and my house; WE WILL SERVE THE LORD.
Joshua 24:15

CraigP83

Quote from: -Bryan- on January 07, 2013, 05:00:22 PM
I personally have zero desire to ever fish either one, sorry but tha's just my opinion.

Why? Gotta love the fact that your next cast could be a 6+ pound small mouth

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Creel Limit Zero on December 23, 2012, 05:21:49 PM

My family's farm was about 12 miles from Lake Anna. It was supposed to take something like three years for the lake to fill up once the dam was completed. Many of the bridges across portions of the North Anna river hadn't even been completed when hurricane Camile (I think it was) came through and filled it up overnight. Can't say I grew up there but I was raised there. ;D I used to spend half my summers fishing Lake Anna. It's were both of my boys caught their first fish. Being about an hour from both DC and Richmond the recreational traffic got really bad over the years. I keep saying I'm going to drag the boat along when I go up to visit, but haven't yet. That might make a good end of Winter trip. Before all the city folks crawl out of their condos in the Spring.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Creel Limit Zero

Quote from: Princeton_Man on November 26, 2013, 10:52:28 AM
That might make a good end of Winter trip. Before all the city folks crawl out of their condos in the Spring.

If you can get on the warm side the winter is a great time to go.  65 degree water temps in January!...