Do sponsors really look at young anglers???

Started by FiveAlive, November 19, 2005, 07:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiveAlive

I'm 14 right now, soon to be 15, and I've already got my own bass boat. I fish one local trail for teens and I'm looking to get on a couple more clubs. I'm just wondering....do sponsors really look at tournament anglers that young? A buddy of mine is on a boat dealer pro-staff and he always tells me to go for it no matter what. I was just wondering. I haven't really been looking for free product, just maybe some discounts on some stuff. I write for my clubs web site, I write for a local fishing magazine, and a local newspaper. And if you look at the Gambler-Bang website you can look at my ugly mug under the World Series of Fishing.  Just wondering....any input from any sponsors is appreciated.
Chasin' the dream.

Kal-Kevin

Yes go for it but not with the idea of what you can get out of it, look at what you can do for them. as long as you look at it as what you can get it will be hard to do. There is one thing that will help you out one of our sponsors is Fish For Free and his book will help you get it done. Then the other thing is make resume and post it here for other to help you get it to the stage to send out to sponsors.

we have a few young men of your age that hang out here and they got sponsors already!

FiveAlive

Kevin......thanks....I have looked at the FFF book before but just haven't bought it yet. And I didn't mean for it to come off as I was just looking for someone to give me that.....I was just stating it. My club doesn't allow you to recieve free product as a sponsorship. I guess I was just putting that out on the line. I think I have a lot to offer for a sponsor company, but I just wanted some input from some people here. Thanks ;D
Chasin' the dream.

Mike Cork

FiveAlive, do you think your club would like a free forum set up in your states fishing section? It's a great place to discuss club business with out waiting for a meeting. Also you can post all your results so members have access to the as fast as you can talley them :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FiveAlive

Not many of the guys in my club do the whole internet forum thing. I frequent many forums to get info and get in contact with different people. It's probably not worth the trouble of setting it up. Thanks for the offer though.
Chasin' the dream.

fishforfree

Kal-Kevin  - - - Thanks for the plug!! ~c~

FiveAlive - I don't think it matters how old you are.  I have a number of people on my Pro Staff and it all boils down to one thing..............what they do for ME.  I'm not trying to be self-centered, well I guess I am.

All sponsors are the same - ME,ME,ME, ME  ;D

Fill their needs and won't make any difference how old you are.

FiveAlive

I just wanted to make sure....I know a lot of people I know think it is amazing that I write for a magazine (that I am on the pro-staff of) and local newspapers and think it is amazing that I fish tournaments and what not. I understand that sponsors like to know what you do for them....I just wondered if age had any affect in that. From what I can see from viewing the other parts of this forum it seems that age has little to do with it. Thanks fellas!
Chasin' the dream.

OHbassaholic

Sponsorship is a form of advertising to most sponsors.  They look at what kind of return they will get for their advertising dollars.  What it comes down to is that they have a finite amount of money in an advertising budget.  You have to sell them on the idea that you can turn a better profit for the same expenditure than any other prospective pro-staffer they have in the running.

Prove your worth = getting a sponsorship = following through = more sponsorships.  Word gets around in this industry if you do not perform.  I have seen several pro-staff anglers rise and fall due to their only true thought was to see what they could get out of a sponsor.  Choose wisely the sponsorships you seek, especially in the beginning.  You must believe in the sponsors product if you are going to be of any use to them.  Age will at times be a factor but don't let it bring you down.  Some sponsors want more than just your summer break time.  But, there are some that will be willing to use your current promotional abilities as they do not have the deep pockets to sponsor a "big name" angler.  What you will most likely be looking at is trading your abilities for a discount on product.  Look at it as paying your dues.  If you perform well for those first few sponsors, it will carry you on to bigger and better things.

Good luck and, of course, get your hands on a copy of FishForFree's sponsorship manual.  It has helped me realize my potential and secure more sponsorships.  I highly recommend it.

FiveAlive

Chasin' the dream.

earthworm77

As both someone who owns a company and sponsors anglers and as a person who is sponsored by other companies, I can say that in my opinion, there is a lot going against utilizing youth for promotional means. Firstly, for my company, I haven't met many young anglers who I think are serious and beyond looking for something for free. Maybe that is a knock to the mentaility of some of these kids, so be it. It all has to do with m,aturity and how these kids conduct themselves.

I have an 18 yr old on my staff who is very accomplished and persued a sponsorship for 3 years before I picked him up. If you are in school, can't legally drive etc, you are not extremely desirable because you have other distractions in your life. With youth comes lack of experience. I honestly have trouble listening to some kid tell me how great he is when he has no life experience. I know we went through this all before in other threads on the subject and I'm not trying to shoot anyone down, this is just my opinion.

FiveAlive, take one bit of advice, it is better to be humble in your approach to sponsors than to have a sponsor humble you. Develope a plan about how you can help a sponsor to increase your promotional value.

Why does your club prohibit you from getting free product from a sponsor and what is your clubs website addy?
Micro Munch Tackle

I am my own man.

FiveAlive

Earthworm...thanks for the info.

The club I fish is a not for profit organization...and it is for "amatuers" so I guess they want us to keep our amatuer status by not being eligible if recieving free sponsor product. You can check us out at www.teenanglers.com We are a National organization with club chapters all over the eastern US.
Chasin' the dream.

Bman

FiveAlive,
Some companies do have Jr ProStaff.  Working with Feather Ridge Turkey Calls, we are looking at a Jr team member.  Being strait up though, this young man has never asked for anything ever.  He has presented himself to us in away that we would be foolish not to pick him up.  He is very personable and good at marketing products.  It does help that he is will to compete in calling contest and be present when ever need.

It appears to me that in the hunting products industry youth are getting more attention than the fishing industry.  Keep at it, if you work hard something will come along.

Bman

Ouachita

I met a young angler club newcomer who began winning small tournaments last year at age 14, then took a Big Bass tournament. At 15 he humiliates anyone fishing with him, merciless, catching what seems "all the fish that come anywhere near my boat", boaters complain. He's just got that touch. But here's what's really driving us nuts. He won't hardly talk. Very quiet, unopinionated, shy, one of those "scared but afraid to run" fellows that probably no sponsor can use no matter how good he is one the water. He can sell himself on the water without a word, but that isn't going to be the all-in-all a sponsor will want. Can you imagine KVD never speaking, yet always hauling fish? This kid might be the next KVD, who knows. So for now we're realizing he just need some maturing, and hopefully being around men will help, as he lives with his mother. We pay his club membership, never let him worry about boating cost share, share lunches with him, buy equipment and supply baits, so in a way the club sponsors him in ways the Big Brother program works. We drill him to speak up loud enough to hear him, work on eye contact, the works, but he prefers to stay in that turtle shell. AHHHHRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH :'(

At the same time we have a 16 year old that's one of the most outgoing, exciting little personalities you could find, but he can't buy a bite. He could talk an Eskimo into buying a block of ice. But again, no sponsor can use him. He'll make a fine boat salesman. We try putting the two together as much as possible but nobody is ready to turn them loose with a boat. Hopefully their strengths can rub off on each other.

I said all that to say this. Work on how you sell yourself. If you can't do that, you can't sell a sponsor's line. Force yourself to be outgoing. Practice it. Learn some jokes and start telling them to strangers. If they don't laugh you know you need to improve communication skills. Get at least a little BLAB and animate your body a little, not necessarily like Mike I, but maybe try telling a story to a mirror while pitching a lead weight. Denny Brauer isn't all that good with words, but he holds your attention because he's constantly fiddling with the rod & reel doing amazing stunts with it, walking around the people, trying to put a jig in a shirt pocket without inflicting pain, etc. You can SEE he has something valuable to impart, and you begin picking up those golden nuggets of knowledge. He found a way to intrigue people without being a polished speaker. He puts his personality in the presentation. Some people seem to just be born able to be attention getters. Most of us have to acquire that skill or go through life doing without it. Those of us that took that route won't likely be seeing the big time sponsors knocking on our door. They'll find a really good angler out there that can do it all, then make it possible for that really good angler to practice and become a really great angler.

Lots of plain opinion there, but that's what I've observed the most. ~i

Jim

FiveAlive

Yessir, I'm definitely not shy. Well sometimes I get that why, but then I just relax and I'm fine. I can defintely talk to a croud, and I'm one of those kids that can make anyone laugh. It will definitely help me in the long run.
Chasin' the dream.

crankin_king

eye'm in the same boat with 5live eye'm 13 and workin' on sponsors but yes they do because alot of young anglers because have tons of enthusiasim and they really think they could sell their products but there is also the other side of people that think he's just a young smokin' gun thats like to fish and would have no help what so ever but hey that could be there loss
http://com5.runboard.com/bbasseyeview
"Early to bed,Early to rise, Fish all day and make up lies"
"TUNNEL HEAD SINCE 2004" http://payloadz.com/go/jump?id=150720&merch_id=27938&aff_id=4994
SPONSORS: BASS THUMB www.BASS-THUMB.com

"In Loving Memory Of Heith Long...R.I.P. as of 3/10/06, You Will Be Missed"

FiveAlive

Quote from: crankin_king on November 21, 2005, 06:09:25 PM
eye'm in the same boat with 5live eye'm 13 and workin' on sponsors but yes they do because alot of young anglers because have tons of enthusiasim and they really think they could sell their products but there is also the other side of people that think he's just a young smokin' gun thats like to fish and would have no help what so ever but hey that could be there loss
I hear ya buddy
Chasin' the dream.

crankin_king

you might find this e-mail as some help

Hi Bean, I only sponsor tournament (boater) fisherman over the age of 18 who can suply the information below.
Thanks for your interest,
TClark

1. What circuits do you fish in your state?
2. Do you fish your state federation?
3. How long have you been competing, not fishing, but in tournaments?
4. On an average, what is your position at the end of the year, be it at a club level, state level, or national?
5. How do you propose to promote my baits?
6. Will you carry my logo on your boat, shirts, or other equipment?
7. What is your club president's name and his email address, if applicable?
8. Who is your state federation president and email address, if applicable?
9. What other sponsors do you have and how did you come to be sponsored by them?

The  TClarkCustomLures pro team people are expected to be of the highest of integrity because you will be carrying my name and representing my baits and I cannot afford to be involved with any people of less than desirable character.

http://com5.runboard.com/bbasseyeview
"Early to bed,Early to rise, Fish all day and make up lies"
"TUNNEL HEAD SINCE 2004" http://payloadz.com/go/jump?id=150720&merch_id=27938&aff_id=4994
SPONSORS: BASS THUMB www.BASS-THUMB.com

"In Loving Memory Of Heith Long...R.I.P. as of 3/10/06, You Will Be Missed"

Nick_Barr

Hi, i am 14 and i truly do beleive that sponsors seriously look at Young anglers. Its an Investment for them. The NUMBER #1 Thing you need to do is Research and Learn As MUCH MARKETING AS YOU CAN, Learn to promote and sell products before you even hit the water.

Fish On

Alluringbaits.com        Fish307.com             Protackle.net
Boatboys.com            Furryfishbaits.com    Sunrizetackle.com    cbshawgsauce.com  
Secretweaponlures.com         Pourboyplastics.com

fishforfree

FiveAlive

Did this thread get moved......or am I just fallin outta the tree stand here???
Chasin' the dream.

Mike Cork

hmmm, don't know if it got moved but it should be here in the sponsor talk ;)

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

FiveAlive

Oh alright....just wonderin. Must be the gas fumes talkin.  :roll2:
Chasin' the dream.

MotherNature

Sorry guys I moved it to the Sponsor Talk board so that some of the folks that are into this type of thing can help you out  ;D

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

FiveAlive

Chasin' the dream.