Chaumont Bay *UPDATE*

Started by Baron49, May 01, 2010, 07:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron49

Fished the Walleye opener today and have to say I am very disappointed in the way New York has neglected the main Chaumont Bay public ramp.  The left side is completely silted in and with the low water is high and dry.  There is not enough water to put the dock.  The right side has a hole that has been blown out by boats power loading and you can get your boat into the water.  The problem is it is extremely shallow all around the hole and is loaded with rocks.

Was able to get out on the bay, but a storm was starting to threaten and headed back in around mid afternoon.  Two boats ahead of me both took all three ears off their props trying to get back into the ramp area.  With my jack plate all the way up and my 150 trimmed all the way out I almost made it in.  The bottom of the boat hung in the soft bottom.  Two guys on shore helped pull me in with the help of a long rope.  Needless to say I hand cranked my boat on the trailer.  

This is like adding insult to injury, not only is the lake water at records lows,  NY has said for 2 years they would dredge the Chaumont Bay ramp and now when we need it there is no sign of anyone from NY doing anything to help fisherman and boaters by cleaning up and dredging the ramp.

Baron49

Happy to say that they cleaned up up the Chaumont Bay public launch, dredged it, and installed the docks.  Water is still very low, but with care you can get in and out of the launch.

Baron49

Got out Friday for a few hours and used the Chaumont Bay launch.  With all the rain the water is up a few inches and launching is no problem at all.  That is not to say the water up up to normal levels as it is not.  Use a lot of care when motoring around the shoals.

Fishing was not bad, did not catch any monsters, but was able to put a decent limit together is a couple hours time.  Smallmouths are running very small in the shallows, largemouths are setting up in the thick milfoil and pitching was the deal to get them to bite.  Soft plastics accounted for the majority of fish out on the main lake.  After the wind came up went back into some protected coves and had my first frog bite day of the year here in the North Country.  They clobbered floating frogs, but would not chase buzz frogs.  Caught most off the edge of hard cover.