What's up woth Cachuma

Started by calincalif50, July 30, 2010, 07:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calincalif50

of course you know your going to have to give lessons... ~roflmao

Can't wait for Xmas

Stan

I've already downloaded the manuals to give me an idea on the install.  Looks pretty basic!  I should be able to put the transducer on the mount I already have and the structure scan transducer, wll i'm still thinking that one over, if i put down low like the regular one I should be able to get a pretty decent picture even traveling at higher speeds, but then it will be out there for any log or comarant to whack.  I just hope I get everything I need in the box and there isn't any special cable or plug that I might need.  I actually got the hds 8/basemap, lss1 stucture scan, new ram mount, and the newest navionics card premium.  Anyone wanna buy a Garmin 240 or a Lowrance LCX 17?  The bad news is I've got to drill 4 more holes in my boat  :'(.
Stan

TomG

Why do I feel like I am getting an HDS-8 with structure scan.......... ;)

Stan you surprised me with that purchase.  Even though we talked about it a little at Lopez you are normally like me where you research things and keep putting it off and doing more reseach before pulling the trigger.  Well on bigger purchases anyway.

Stan

Thats true, but I've been thinking about this for a few months already, and then I had the money set aside about two weeks ago.  It took me that long to make the commitment, and then yesterday I decided that I would get it.  And I think they have most of the kinks out of the product, I was a little concerned about the moisture getting in them issue but they say that they have fixed that problem a bout a month or so ago.  Still not keen on drilling holes in the boat though!
Stan

calincalif50

If I end up with the LSS-1, I'm not even sure where on the boat to put it.  on the trolling motor it would be of no use since the waves make it hard to read

Stan

It's here!!!!!!! And it sure is pretty............!  Probably won't install until next week though.

Definately not putting it on the trolling motor, back of the boat for sure.  Just not sure of location yet it has to be close to the regular transducer to be effective, they work together.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That would be a s*it eatin' grin
Stan

TomG

Just in time for Oct 30th................. ~c~

They say it depends on what batch you got last year for the moisture problems.  I have not had one issue with my HDS-5.

I probably won't get a bigger HDS until I decide on if I am getting a new boat within the next 12-16 months or not.

calincalif50

:shocking:  Tom didn't you just get a new boat recently... :)  That GS pay must be pretty good  ;D

Stan, does the manual say it can be epoxied like a puck.  I don't have a jack plate on mine so its either on the bottom of the boat ( ~sweat ) or epoxied to the inside

Stan

No you cant epoxy it in!  You can put it on the back of the boat like a skimmer but you would need to make sure the motor doesn't interfere with the side scan.
Stan

TomG

Cal,

That GS pay isnt' great right now......I am only a 6.  Hopefully it will be much better by Jan or Feb when I get an 11 or 12 position. 

BTW I have had my boat for 5 1/2  years now......not exactly sure what I will do next year, it might be tough to sell it once I pay it off but I figure if I want a newer one I should do it soon that way I can pay it off before I get older and then keep it long long term...plus I would really like to have something at least 20ft because I do plan on fishing bigger water at some point in the next couple years.

Let us know how you guys did at Margarita, I still can't beleive you and Dustin are fishing that trny with no practice........I usually don't like gambling my money like that.

calincalif50

Ended up not doing Margie.  He whad some commitments he couldn't get out of. 

Stan,
guess the only place for me is below the skimmer on the bottom of the boat, and at $600 a whack its just to vunerable to a hit.  Is there a flip up bracket like the skimmer?

JonBoatMike

Cachuma is officially the worst run lake I have ever been on!!! 

Went out yesterday around 1:00 and was back in the marina by 6:35 and had the boat trailered by 6:40 and the dude at the check in/out trailer told my buddy he just about locked us in.  I thought he was joking until he came over to put the tag on and started giving me a hard time and  then a ranger pulled up and gave me that pi$$ed off stare. There was no sign and no one informed us when we paid to get in, besides who in the He11 has ever been to a Lake where they close the ramp when there is still an hour of daylight left? Thank goodness the fishing sucked and I had to pick up my son on base by a certain time, otherwise we would have stayed longer.   ~xyz Cachuma! You guys can have your silly little Lake!  As for me, I'll stick to Lopez where the fishin's better & bigger and there's not as much political BS to put up with.

JonBoatMike

BTW Stan, hope you like your new finder.  Me and Chris never did figure out that 10" TV he put on his console.  I had an extra Dish Network recv'r and dish that would have worked great on his boat but we couldn't find a good place to mount it.  Let me know in a couple of months if your interested and I'll give you a pkg deal! 

Stan

Yes there is a flipp up bracket and you can mount it like a skimmer.  The only thing that would concern me about mounting it like that on your baot would be that it would stick out about 6-8 inches from the back of your boat and if the motor were trimmed all the way down it would interfere with the side imaging on the opposite sid of the transducer.  I'll let you guys know how it works on Friday.
Stan

TomG

Mike,
I thought you gave up fishing since Chris left.........As you go down the one lane entrance to the ramp there is a big sign with the hours posted on it, people get so used to it being there they forget to check the hours or don't notice it.

BTW not sure what part of the lake you were fishing but I went out there on Sunday and whacked them and Stan went out yesterday and whacked them.............you gotta get off of them red garlic worms...........that only works at clear lake............ lo

Stan

Well, I got the HDS installed.  A littlle more time consuming than I though but it was pretty easy.  Now to just get out on the lake and check it out!  The only thing I need to do is get all my waypoints off of the LCX 17 and put them on the HDS.  Anyone know how to download them onto an SD Card and then up load them on to a different unit?
Stan

TomG

You will have to read the manual on that one.  When we went to Clear Lake I just took waypoints off my Lowrance explorer map from the computer and put those on the SD card and then as soon as I turned my unit on they downloaded onto my map. 

Stan

No big deal I just wrote them all down and entered them mannually. 
Stan

TomG

What day will be your first day out with it?  I am assuming we are using your boat for the CBC then my  boat for the ABA??

Stan

Probably tomorrow or wed I don't want to get it wet yet ~rain.  Yeah we can use mine for the CBC if you want.
Stan

JonBoatMike

Quit fishing? Are you crazy?  I just see no need to give my money to locals who have fished these lakes for years and know where the money holes are.  And I just don't have the time to invest to locate them myself.  Besides, I do it for enjoyment of being outdoors, not the $$$.  I had a great time at the tourney's me and chris did, but it's just not for me.  Now if one of you guys would like to go out there with me sometime, just let me know. I would definitely enjoy your company now that both of the guys I fished with have PCS'd.  We can still play $1 for big, most and first!

Don't forget that red garlic worm brought in more weight than you guys on the 1st day and might have on the 2nd day if we didn't have so much boat drama. 

Oh one more thing - I didn't say I didn't catch fish at Cachuma, they were biting pretty good on jerk bait and spoons but they were all small.  We also spent a good 2-3 searching for crappie before switching back to bass.  But if you know of any good Crappie holes out there please let me know.  I promise not to tell..  even better, I no longer have anybody to tell even if I wanted to.