Need new rods and reels on a big budget

Started by zmanlane, December 29, 2010, 08:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zmanlane

Well, i have been waiting to save enough money to buy 4-5 rods and reels that will be great. I have 1,000 dollars to spend. so, i have been seriously been considering the citrus sticks. so guys, give me your input. I fish buzzbaits, jerk baits, crankbaits, topwater, wacky, t rigs, flukes weightless, and spinnerbaits. A little bit of everything.
"If it aint Florida it aint fishin"

-Shawn-

I have never laid eyes on the Citrus so I can't help with them.

zmanlane

wow,that was fast. lol. is there any other rods that you think are good .

boudreaux 23

I got a Abu Garcia Veritas for Christmas and love it so far. I dont think u can go wrong with Abu in my opinion

zmanlane

i was looking at hat. Is the pfleuger patriot xt good.

Dan1962

if you shop around you should be able to get 4 Shimano 200E Citica  reels ($97ea) and 4 G Loomis GL2 Rods Like the MBR783C ($120ea) for just under your $1000   

-Shawn-

Quote from: zmanlane on December 29, 2010, 08:08:29 PM
wow,that was fast. lol. is there any other rods that you think are good .

I Use Kistler Micromags, Micro heliums and ZBones.  All three are great rods, But as far as i am concerned the Zbone is the best rod out there bar none!  The Blanks are designed and built by Gary loomis and He will tell you they are the best blanks he has ever built.  ;)

Camden

if i remember right i think Nate here on UB uses almost nothing but the citrus stick. i'll see if he can drop some input for ya.

oops ya already talked to him bout them in his ranger thread. lo lo

with a big budget like that you might wanna test a few out in the store and see which ones you lke first and then narrow the list down

i have heard great things about the zbone and you cant forget about Dobyns rods. and i keep looking at the new perfecta rods from pinnacle. and no list is complete with out the st croix thrown into the mix.

reel speaking..... again options are endless. at the top of my list would be the BPS pro qualifier. then curados and if ya get a chance maybe check out US reels.  Just go to a shop and play around with them till they kick ya out lo

duke13372

There are a lot of rods out there in the $100 dollar range.   I have recently purchased 3 Veritas rods and the last I got for $80.   I would purchase the Citica reels that Bass Pro has for 119.00.   You can probably buy at some point and time a combo from BP or Cabelas and get a decent rod and a good Citica reel.   Usually this is with a "house" rod.   You can purchase the Citica along with the Abu Vendetta and probably get 5 rods and reels close to budget.   I would not skimp on the reel.   You can buy those cheap reels and be replacing them in a couple of years, a total waste of money not to mention the aggravation that they cause.  There are many, many more rods in the 80 to 120 range that have good guides and are made pretty well, usually with an inexpensive china blank.   Just make sure they have a decent warranty and good customer service.

Baron49

If you have a big budget and want top quality may I suggest you look at St. Croix Avid or Legend Tournament rods.  They come in wide variety of rods for all kinds of fishing and offer a lifetime warranty.  As for a top notch reel I would look at the Revo Premier, by Abu Garcia.  Another excellent Revo reel for less money is the Revo SX.  I own St. Croix rods and Revo reels mentioned and could not be more satisfied with their quality.

gillrod2728

In the rods area I have been fishing St.Croix  Mojo Bass rods for awile and like them for some things spinner baits and cranks. I do ot like them for t rig/jig or any thing where I want alot of sensitivity. That is the $100 dollar rods from them. Now there Legend Tournament rods in the $250 dollar area will probably do great. I have recently decided to try Kistler Custom Rods out and ordered there Micro Helium for t rig/jig rod and a micro magnesium crank bait rod. I have not got to use them just received them today but materials they use the colors of the blanks are top of the line and the rods in my hand feel like an extension of my arm instead of holding a rod if that makes since. ;D On the reel department I highly, highl recommend the Bass Pro Pro Qualifier as Camden said. For the price they are its like a $200 plus dollar reel. Got 4 this year at $69.99 instead of the $100 dollar price and they do this sale in spring again.Hope this helps.
"Kistler Rods Team" "Eye Crossin Custom Lures"  "Fishwhittler Custom Lures" "Knawbone Jigs" "Big River Tackle"

Lee Smith

I'm a Kistler Guy  ;D

Micro Hellium or the Z-bone, definately the way to go IMHO

Lee
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

zmanlane

thanks sooooo much guys for all your input. i have a lot of options to choose from so when i decide, i will definitly tell all yall guys.

Dan1962

Yes the Curado & a St Croix Avid or Better a Legend would make a Super nice set up BUT there NO Way  HE can get 4  Avid or Legend & 4 Curado for $1000  The 4 Avids will cost $700    Legends  rods will cost $1200   4 curado's will cost $720  Might be able if you shop around to get 3 Curado & 3 Avids for $1000  Seen the Curado 200E Brand NEW in Box on Eaby for around $150

loomisguy

I only own one Kistler , a helium lta, Its a nice rod, I would put it on par with IMX ,not as sensitive as GLX or scv.
  I ve heard alot of good things about the Z bones but with the way Kistler discontinues and discounts it scares me they might be 199.00 by this fall..

gillrod2728

Quote from: loomisguy on December 31, 2010, 11:30:33 AM
I only own one Kistler , a helium lta, Its a nice rod, I would put it on par with IMX ,not as sensitive as GLX or scv.
  I ve heard alot of good things about the Z bones but with the way Kistler discontinues and discounts it scares me they might be 199.00 by this fall..
The z bones are designed using materials designed and made by Gary loomis new company and as far as reviews and technology they are better and more sensitive then the other g loomis rods except for the new nrx.
"Kistler Rods Team" "Eye Crossin Custom Lures"  "Fishwhittler Custom Lures" "Knawbone Jigs" "Big River Tackle"

gillrod2728

Here are some pics of four combos I got all for around $800 bucks all brand new just watching for deals.

gillrod2728

The two on left are St.Croix Mojo Bass rods with Bass Pro Pro Qualifier reels and the the ones on the right are Kistler one in middle is Kistler Micro Magnesium Crank 2011 and far right is Kistler Micro Helium 2011 both paired with Bass Pro Pro qualifier reels. I got excellent deals on all this as the real total would have been $1,200 bucks. So you can get really nice combos if you take your time and look.  ~read

loomisguy

Quote from: gillrod2728 on December 31, 2010, 01:38:23 PM
The z bones are designed by Gary Looms and Trey Kistler and as far as reviews and technology they are better and more sensitive then the other g loomis rods except for the nrx.
have you fished one next to a glx ?    I agree he has gotten alot of mileage out of using Gary Loomis name. I would like to try one , but like I said I would be scared to pay retail for it.

gillrod2728

Quote from: -Shawn- on December 29, 2010, 09:43:23 PM
I Use Kistler Micromags, Micro heliums and ZBones.  All three are great rods, But as far as i am concerned the Zbone is the best rod out there bar none!  The Blanks are designed and built by Gary loomis and He will tell you they are the best blanks he has ever built.  ;)
;D

gillrod2728

Quote from: loomisguy on December 31, 2010, 01:55:03 PM
    have you fished one next to a glx ?    I agree he has gotten alot of mileage out of using Gary Loomis name.
Im not talking about the helium to glx im talking about Z bone

loomisguy

I know, I was just asking how it was better than GLX. I ve never fished a Zbone

gillrod2728

Quote from: loomisguy on December 31, 2010, 02:07:39 PM
I have not either thats why I said reviews are that its better. Loomis said its his best blanks built so in that note it would be better then GlX since it would not be made with these blanks. Im not saying G.Loomis rods are bad because I no there not they are some of the best in the market. Im just saying the Z bone is said to be better.

zmanlane

thank you sooooo much.....i choose the new citrus sticks and the curados or the pflueger patriarchs.....anyone have both that can tell me the pro and cons of these reels...

-Shawn-

Quote from: loomisguy on December 31, 2010, 02:07:39 PM

I just spent a Week fishing the Zbone pitching 3/8 oz jigs and they ae the best rod I have ever had my hands on.  I never liked the GLX, so I can't do a fair comparison.

The word about the ZBone blank being the best blank he ever built came from Gary Loomis not from Trey Kistler, so I would tend to believe him.

The problems that Kistler has had in the past with having to Discount blank was because of quality control issues in other factories, You won't see that problem with the ZBone. They are built right here in the good OL USA by Gary loomis' shop.