Rod for curado 51e

Started by Triple D, July 14, 2011, 06:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple D

Hi all, I just bought my first bait caster. What would you all consider for a rod? I plan on throwing soft plastics with this particular set up. I have a budget of $200 for a rod. I bought a st. croix avid for my spinning set up. Would another avid be good with the smaller curado? Also is this reel an ok starter for me as i've never used a bait caster before? I just couldn't pass up on the price which is why i decided to pull the trigger on it.
Make your own Luck!!!

duke13372

Boy, that's a tough reel to learn on.  It's made for light baits and small line and the small spool would be tough to pull out backlashes.  I would have recommended the 200/201 for beginners.  The Avid is a good rod.  I'd probably pair it with the AVC66MLF and I'd probably throw small plastics with light weights on 10 or 12 pound line.  A beginner could possibly throw this reel on the correct rod and reel set up.  However with a stiff rod and heavy line this can become a challenge.  I can see this set up as being a blast to fish with and also a good choice for finicky fish.  Throw some 10 pound line on a tungsten weight and plastic fry and have a grand time.