Sponsorship?

Started by aaron batson, July 29, 2011, 10:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron batson

Some forum members know me and have encouraged me in my small/local tournament career here in Georgia and I thank you all for your words of encouragement.

Next season (2012) - I would dearly love to take a big step and aim higher with my goals. I am looking to step up to the BASS Opens or FLW Everstart tournament trail. I am not sure that I have the skills to compete at these levels, but I would love to find out. The biggest issue is funding...I am reaching out to my fellow forum members with this request. If anybody has any contacts for persons or businesses looking to sponsor an up and coming angler with high hopes - please have them look my way.

I have a resume/accomplishments list ready to send out to anybody that is interested in seeing it and would consider helping me reach my goals next season. I would love to get any feedback - good or bad. Just shoot me your email address and I will gladly get it out to you. Thanks for any consideration and support. I would look forward to working with a business that could support me in my dreams as I represent them and help push their products as well.

Thank you for your time.
AB

DBrooke

I can honestly tell you now, finding sponsors who donate funding is extremely difficult. Actually the only one I have is my wife's business lo She pays my entry fees from her business account and calls it advertising since I have her logo on my shirt and boat.
On the product side, don't solicit sponsorship from any company you don't use and believe in. All my tackle sponsors are products I believe in and use. I won't put a name on my "equipment" (boat, truck, shirt, etc) if I don't believe in it. Some anglers just think "hey it's a sponsor, I'll take it" but that's not the best route to take.

Good luck!!
This section under construction.

BASSMANNNNN

flywatersmallie

Quote from: DBrooke on July 30, 2011, 08:38:48 PM
I can honestly tell you now, finding sponsors who donate funding is extremely difficult. Actually the only one I have is my wife's business lo She pays my entry fees from her business account and calls it advertising since I have her logo on my shirt and boat.
On the product side, don't solicit sponsorship from any company you don't use and believe in. All my tackle sponsors are products I believe in and use. I won't put a name on my "equipment" (boat, truck, shirt, etc) if I don't believe in it. Some anglers just think "hey it's a sponsor, I'll take it" but that's not the best route to take.

Good luck!!

Well said! My biggest sponsor and the only one that pays my fees and the like is.... My joint account with the wife. Sorry we arent looking to sponsor anyone else right now.  lo

Good luck getting where you want to go!
Get Bit Baits pro Staff, Picasso Lures Pro Staff,
BassFury Pro Staff, Denali Rods Pro Staff, Solar Bat Pro Staff

beer980

I have to agree with DBrooke. It is important to use and believe in a sponsors product. I get sponsor requests all the time from people that are just fishing for sponsors. It usually goes like this. "Hey I really like how your plastic baits or worms look. Can you sponsor me for my local tournaments?" When you do write a sponsor please spell check it. A good amount of them are misspelled and read like a 12 year old wrote them. You stand a better chance if you can tell a sponsor that you use their product in every tourney while providing specific examples. If you can show a sponsor pictures of their product hooked into a big bass or a deck of reels/rods then you have some leverage.

flywatersmallie

Hey Beer980, I just looked at your site, wanna sponsor me? Seriously though, I did look at your site, you have some good looking baits! Well done!

beer980

Thank you for looking. At this time my sponsor list is full. Pro Staff is a more flexible option with most companies as it does not involve mostly free product.

flywatersmallie

I was just kidding on the sponsor thing, could never even consider asking for something like that having never used the product. Had to comment on the baits though. One of these days I just might have to place an order to see if some of them fish as good as they look!

MotherNature

The most important thing that you can do in your search for sponsors is take a look at your proposal from their point of view. What is it that you can offer them?

Resumes are a dime a dozen to most companies, making yours unique can make a difference. There are several sites out there that offer "how to get sponsored" information.

Try http://www.fishforfree.com/ Scott has an ebook that is a good place to get started. Don't be afraid to look at sites that deal with getting sponsors out side of our industry. Other sports need sponsorship and I have found some great tips looking at different sites.

Ok, off my soap box  ~fff

.·´¯`·.><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>

DBrooke

btw, I got turned down from Monster Beverage Company. Their exact words were "We don't consider bass fishing an extreme sport" lo

gillrod2728

Quote from: DBrooke on August 31, 2011, 09:01:27 PM
btw, I got turned down from Monster Beverage Company. Their exact words were "We don't consider bass fishing an extreme sport" lo
Doesnt monster sponsor an elite guy?
"Kistler Rods Team" "Eye Crossin Custom Lures"  "Fishwhittler Custom Lures" "Knawbone Jigs" "Big River Tackle"

bassincali

write monster back and show them the death stitistics for fishing it is the #1 cause of death in sports

DBrooke

It kicked me that 5 hour energy sponsors Rolland Martin though.

But this fishing is extreme enough? http://monsterenergyfishingteam.com/

micahash1

If this helps most of my sponsors came as small local sponsors.  When approaching them you need to think about their needs and what will benefit both of you and them.  Once you have that answer you can make a proper a debate on how you can benefit each other.  Each potential sponsor has different needs therefore each needs to be approached differently.  Also remember to think outside of the box.  My best sponsors have nothing to do with fishing.

Good luck and chase your dreams.