Power pro braid snapping

Started by Bar of Silver, August 14, 2011, 05:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bar of Silver

Hi

I have been using power pro braid for my sea bass fishing here in Europe.  I was using .15mm diameter braid tied to mono using an albright knot.  The patchinko surface popper lure I was using is 27g and the line just snapped on the cast.  Has anyone else had similar problems and would you recommend an alternative braid? I have seen some suggesting Stren?

Broskee

I have had some people tell me that they have had a bad batch of braid too. I have seen this first hand.. So it would be safe to say if you get another round of it you should be ok!

Bar of Silver

Quote from: Broskee on August 14, 2011, 05:45:04 PM
I have had some people tell me that they have had a bad batch of braid too. I have seen this first hand.. So it would be safe to say if you get another round of it you should be ok!

so you say stick to Power Pro

OutdoorFrontiers

I've been using PowerPro since it's been available here in the U.S.  On occasion, I have gotten a bad spool of line.  It happens....

So yes, stay with PowerPro, it's good line.  One thing I rarely do is mess around with a leader.  About the only time I ever use a leader with PowerPro is when I'm fishing around Zebra Mussels, which are very sharp and will cut through most line.  The rest of the time, I simply tie direct to the lure and I haven't noticed any loss in my fish catch ratio.

Steve
Steve Huber OutdoorFrontiersTv

Baja Waters

I have a lot of confidence in the Toray Bawo Braid.  I have not had a bad spool.  I use it from 10# to 60#. 

I do like to put a leader of Fluorocarbon and I use the same know as you on lighter lines.  On the heavier lines (20# Fluoro and greatier) I splice the line with hollow braid.  This is a knot-less connection, supper strong and smooth to cast.

Knot-less Connections - Smooth as Silk

Creel Limit Zero

When tying the braid to mono, are you using the same size diameter mono?  Braid does slip a little easier than mono, and if you are using different size diameters it could be what is happening.  How does the line of power pro come back.  Is it a clean break, or can you see some memory in the line of where the knot used to be and see that it definitely slipped? 

Also, you say you are using .15 mm braid.  That is equivalent to .06 inch braid diameter, or 2 lb diameter line.  That seems pretty small, I would think you would want something stronger for sea bass.  I would think you would want to use .3 mm braid, which would be 40 lb of drag, then you can attach it directly to the same .3 mm mono - which would be 10 lb test.  This could be the problem, you are using a very small diameter line, tying it to a diameter line that is much larger, and then knot having the drag set to overcome absolutely no stretch.  Try going up to the .3 mm braid and you should probably have better results...

Pferox

I noticed you are fishing for Sea Bass. Have you had the braid on your rod very long? Have you checked your guides for cracks and imperfections?

I have found that Salt and Brackish conditions are pretty rough on braids, and that they need to be replaced at minimum every second year or so. The salt actually gets inside the braid and abraids from the inside out, more or less.

A damaged guide can give you all kinds of havoc with braid, that actually would be my first suspect instead of a bad spool, although the spool is second on my list.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

joiseystud

Quote from: Bar of Silver on August 14, 2011, 05:41:58 PM
Hi

I have been using power pro braid for my sea bass fishing here in Europe.  I was using .15mm diameter braid tied to mono using an albright knot.  The patchinko surface popper lure I was using is 27g and the line just snapped on the cast.  Has anyone else had similar problems and would you recommend an alternative braid? I have seen some suggesting Stren?

When you say the line snapped on the cast... where did it snap?  Did the braided line snap? Did the connection knot to the mono fail?  Did the mono line snap?  Lately I have been using the blood knot for leader connections.  I like it because its strong and the finished knot is pretty small.  My rod has tiny guides so I need the knot small.  On my rods where the guide are larger I have used the uni to uni knot which I think is easier to tie but ends up with a slightly larger profile.

Make sure with either knot you pull them hard together to make sure all the slip is out of the knots before you cut the tag lines.

Your braid shouldnt be snapping on the cast in any case.  If you think your line is defective, return it for a new roll.

dodgeguy

powerpro is outdated.if you search the net you will find plenty of people had snapping issues with it.i've never had it happen.since it is outdated and there are other far superior braids out there i would go with sufix 832.
chrysler master tech,avid fisherman and i bleed red,white and blue!!!!We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

ex301p

I have had both the 40lb and 50lb break on the cast and will not buy either of those pound test PP again, however the 30lb and 65lb have been very solid for me. Might have gotten bad spools, but that was enough to kill any confidence I have in there 40 or 50lb.

DBrooke

Quote from: dodgeguy on August 20, 2011, 10:27:02 AM
powerpro is outdated.if you search the net you will find plenty of people had snapping issues with it.i've never had it happen.since it is outdated and there are other far superior braids out there i would go with sufix 832.

lo Thanks I needed a good laugh this morning.
This section under construction.

Diggy_

mine snapped 2x on a cast this week...30lb moss green

Mike Cork

How is power pro out dated? I've been using it for several years and never had a problem. I guess I don't understand how it could be out dated? That would be like saying Trilene is out dated because there are other brands to pick from? Or that reaction innovations sweet beaver is out dated because there or copies every where

I understand there are options, that's a great thing! But it doesn't mean the original is bad, or does it?

I have 200% faith in power pro and have pulled monster bass from the thickest of cover and never worried about if I would break it off. If it's snapping on a cast more often than not it's the knot slipping. Not always but a good place to start looking, and that goes for any braid. The first fix is to make sure your doubling the hook or bait eye with your braid as it slips easily.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

kidd

I'm not one to need braid where I fish but I have used powerpro and suffix and that suffix 832 can't touch power pro in any way in my mind.  Saying its outdated has absolutely no merit whatsoever.  You can find a bad review or experience about anything on the internet if you look for it but until you do your own comparisons you're simply using hearsay. 

-Shawn-

I think calling PP outdated is basically saying" I want to give a reason to not use PP, but cant come up with a legitimate one. 

Come ON! Every braid brand out there claims to be better than all the others because they have some fancy new process for doing the same thing they were doing before.

You know what causes braid to snap?
Abusing it in the spool pulling out backlashes. It will cut itself just like it will cut your fingers when you jerk and tug on it.

joiseystud

Quote from: BUZZKIDD on September 07, 2011, 09:41:25 AM
I'm not one to need braid where I fish but I have used powerpro and suffix and that suffix 832 can't touch power pro in any way in my mind.  Saying its outdated has absolutely no merit whatsoever.  You can find a bad review or experience about anything on the internet if you look for it but until you do your own comparisons you're simply using hearsay.
What has been so much better about powerpro than suffix 832?  In my experience there isnt much difference. I had great experiences with both lines. The suffix is a size smaller for the same line capacity though which I like.

TheLastRodBender

Power Pro is the only braid i use... Never had an issue with it, so if it aint broke, dont fix it (knock on wood)

Crankbait1007

Hey we need power pro like we need fireline and spiderwire and suffix(my favorite) come on we don't want just one type of braid that would be bad. and if everyone only bought one type that would kill competition. I myself am a Sufix man but I've been using power pro while I'm here in florida catching snook and redfish. It's good that different people like different line.

bass.junky

Im getting to this thread a little late, but Power Pro has been my go to braid for years. I have tried all the biggies as they became available and liked some, but Power Pro has been my hands down fav. It is the line I will go to 90% of the time when spooling braid.

Sure there have been some changes in braid technology, but I think Power pro got it right the first time

Broskee

If you go back on what lines have been around, braid is not a new thing my dad said that when he was young he could remember that my grandpa had black braid of somesort. I have no idea who made this either.

-Shawn-

Broskee, that was actually Dacron and though it looks similar it is a totally different product.

DBrooke

My power pro snapped on Sunday. I stuck my shock in a pile of boulders 15' under water and eventually I had to tie off on the boat and pull forward till it snapped. :)
This section under construction.

TheLastRodBender

Quote from: DBrooke on September 28, 2011, 06:47:25 PM
My power pro snapped on Sunday. I stuck my shock in a pile of boulders 15' under water and eventually I had to tie off on the boat and pull forward till it snapped. :)
lo lo

you should get on the line with Power Pro and see if you can do a commercial for them  ;)

dodgeguy

Quote from: DBrooke on August 21, 2011, 08:07:47 AM
lo Thanks I needed a good laugh this morning.

why would you laugh at facts.that's why powerpro finally came out with their new braid.it's an 8 strand braid like the better braids out there.they new they were behind on this one.
chrysler master tech,avid fisherman and i bleed red,white and blue!!!!We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

dodgeguy

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 07, 2011, 09:21:09 AM
How is power pro out dated? I've been using it for several years and never had a problem. I guess I don't understand how it could be out dated? That would be like saying Trilene is out dated because there are other brands to pick from? Or that reaction innovations sweet beaver is out dated because there or copies every where

I understand there are options, that's a great thing! But it doesn't mean the original is bad, or does it?

I have 200% faith in power pro and have pulled monster bass from the thickest of cover and never worried about if I would break it off. If it's snapping on a cast more often than not it's the knot slipping. Not always but a good place to start looking, and that goes for any braid. The first fix is to make sure your doubling the hook or bait eye with your braid as it slips easily.

powerpro digs.it is rough and noisey.search the net and you will find a lot of posts about it snapping.it is a 4 strand braid.the new braids such as diawa,sufix 832 and fireline braid are 8 strand braids.they are rounder,smoother and quieter and they don't dig or snap.sufix 832 is far superior in abrasion resistance to other braids and it sinks instead of floating.this gives it a more direct line to your bait increasing sensitivity.powerpro has even come out with an 8 strand because they had to to compete.i would be willing to try their new braid but the old powerpro is model t technology.