Clear Water Colors ???

Started by 20inchbass, August 25, 2011, 01:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

20inchbass

What are the best colors to use in super clear water? I have trouble picking colors.

nybass

Most the lakes i fish here in ny are pretty clear. I catch most my fish on natural colors such as greens blacks and browns. One of my favorite cranks for clear water is a tranlucent color green and the fish just hammer it. In the clearer lakes you dont need something thats gona stick out like a sore thumb for the fish to find your bait.

20inchbass

Quote from: nybass on August 25, 2011, 01:41:22 PM
Most the lakes i fish here in ny are pretty clear. I catch most my fish on natural colors such as greens blacks and browns. One of my favorite cranks for clear water is a tranlucent color green and the fish just hammer it. In the clearer lakes you dont need something thats gona stick out like a sore thumb for the fish to find your bait.

Who makes the crankbait and do you know what the exact name of the color is? I love crankbait fishing and need some help.  ;D

nybass

20inchbass

Thanks. I'm a big fan of Rapalas anyway so I'll have to try some.

Kuntry Jr.

I've fished a few very clear waters and my favorite color has always been Morning Dawn made by Roboworm, either that or Ehlers Edge.
Hydrowave  Amphibia Sunglasses  Bass Mafia Tackle  Optimum Baits   Reins  Deps

jchez444

i have the same issue like you and there are 50 different type of browns and 100 different type of "woops"y shads. i try and stick with what the book says clear water= natural ,transulcent colors your browns, greens,black, watermelon,even a dull or bone colored shad type. while in the stained waters you still have your blk&blu's but you can get creative with the brighter or crazier colors. im looking to get a bunch of jigs and im in the same boat as you as to which colors to go with. im trying to stick with the basics, but the golden craws and pond bug colors keep pulling me in.lol.

longdraw

Clear sky=Green Pumpkin
Overcast=Watermelon

Start there and tweak it to your water.   Go find some craws and take a pic of them...  ;PHO)
Life is a game of ounces.

aydensdad

Quote from: longdraw on August 26, 2011, 02:11:41 AM
Clear sky=Green Pumpkin
Overcast=Watermelon

Start there and tweak it to your water.   Go find some craws and take a pic of them...  ;PHO)

Great answer!
My avatar is hotter than yours!

Kickin Bass

I always try to match my jigs etc to the bottom of the lake in clear water on bright days.  It usually means a watermellon, GP or some shade of browns.  Overcast is the same theory only I try to go slightly darker.

Please do not use Outdoor Hub Mobile, Please find and use TapaTalk for your phone
09-20i
250 HPDI
HDS-8 w/ LSS, LCX-28c-HD

Hoop Goobner

Usually any thing with the words "green pumpkin" in the color description will work.  Although I've seen guys tear the bass up (LM & SM) with plain white, and also plain chartruese in a lake with 10' visibility.  Nothing natural looking at all to either of those colors in clear water.  Both look like somebody dragging a light bulb through the lake. 

WIbasskid

Watermelon, and green pumpkin to name a few.

If you're fishing plastics or jigs on the bottom, a good way to go about choosing color is to match what ever color the bottom is. Most thing in the natural world have some what of a camo effect. If some kinda critter is on a bottom that's brown, and has some weeds on it, chances are is that that critter is gonna be sorta brown and green.  :-* 

If you're using a moving bait, or something that's suppose to look like a bait fish, match the color to the type of forage. If you're fishing in waters where you know the bass are eating allot of bream, then try to make your lure look like a bream.  ~shade

One good thing to remember when fishing moving baits is clearer (as a general rule), and to keep you bait moving, don't let him get a good look at it, in clear water, they'll be able to determine if it's fake or not. If it's moving real fast, and he thinks it a bream, he'll eat it!

Another kind of odd ball color (for jigs) that seems to work well in clear water for me is Purple, with a black trailer.
Good Fishing, and God bless