Started by muddy man, December 10, 2011, 09:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddy man

Hey Fellas
I learned on the old six pin clunkers, they were good reels
then the last couple of years they were a big disapointment for me
almost went back to Trions
but I got a chance to fish this
have sold all six of my reels'switching out to these, with 40 bucks change!

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops®-Extreme®-LowProfile-Baitcast-Reels/product/11092105011121/261190

I am grateful they dumped the last design, they made it right again and they seem like the best Extreme to date

Diggy_

They also have a new JM carbonlite and another reel added as of yesterday called the Enigma

muddy man

Carbonlite is an upgrade and the Enigma has been out since last year

eaglestrike09

That new Extreme reel looks just like the Prolite speacial reel I got a few months ago!!

Pro Reel

They didn't dump the Extreme line, they just made an addition to it. And yes, that new Extreme is the Pro lite special that many of us got during the classic. Evidently, they decided to rename it and add it to the extreme line as a staple for tossing lightweight baits. Right now, there is a sale on the remaining pro lite specials as a combo with a decent rod for the ridiculous low price of $50 for the combo. That sale is listed in a Christmas flier from at least 2 BPS sores that I know of. If you get one of these reels, you may notice that it has more braking than most of us need. The internal 4 pin centrifugal brake tabs are always on. 4 tabs is way to much braking for me. What I have been doing is removing 2 of the tabs across from each other to turn it into a 2 pin system. To do that, just pull the spool out, grab the end of a tab with tweezers and pull it out. While you hold it out, have someone cut it off with a pair of scissors, or small cutting dykes. The tab is solid on the end but hollow in the middle, so you cut it on both sides to remove the solid end. The spring will pull the rest of it back in after that, but with it cut off at the front, it won't come out far enough to touch the brake drum anymore.

-Shawn-

Hey Dom, how are the EX's holding up?

muddy man

Great, But I sold them to get the new Extremes!

Pro Reel: I don't think they are the same as those Prolites as I have both reels here on the desk infront of me

The Pro lite has a different drag system, has 10 bearing system ( extreme has 7), the handles differ from each other and the extreme is 1/2 ounce heavier, now I am not a mechanic so if most of the other things match they are similar , but these 2 reels are not the same, and I own both of them

-Shawn-

Did you have the ProLite or the prolite Special?

The regular Pro lite bacame the Carbonlite.

I like how BPS plays the Shell game.  lo lo lo

muddy man

He Shawn; you are right I have the Prolite, got em from a  BPS hot buy email for 40 Bucks!

crankenstein

Looks like the same reel only green and a few less bearings.

muddy man

Well, I am not a tackle junkie, just know what I like and I am just glad they came out with these, except for the 2 pro lites I bought on special the other 4 rods will be sporting these new Extremes

crankenstein

Quote from: muddy man on December 11, 2011, 04:54:42 PM
Well, I am not a tackle junkie, just know what I like and I am just glad they came out with these, except for the 2 pro lites I bought on special the other 4 rods will be sporting these new Extremes

I plan on checking out the new Extremes too, probably in Feb when Bass Pro has their Fishing Classic. I've read a lot of good things about the Prolite Special so the new Extremes should be nice.

Pro Reel

You are correct thats it's a little different. They did change the bearing count. I have not held one of them in the new color and  name, but it looks like the same reel and it has the same brakes. Personally, I think that the pro lite special was a test to see how the reel would sell. I think that they were planning on marketing it as the new pro lite but then decided to drop a couple of bearings out of it and add it to the Extreme line. If all the inside parts are the same, as I'm positive they are because of the frame, then it's still a good little reel.

muddy man

Thanks for your input, I can't wait for spring now!

goose

Quote from: Pro Reel on December 11, 2011, 12:51:24 PM
They didn't dump the Extreme line, they just made an addition to it. And yes, that new Extreme is the Pro lite special that many of us got during the classic. Evidently, they decided to rename it and add it to the extreme line as a staple for tossing lightweight baits. Right now, there is a sale on the remaining pro lite specials as a combo with a decent rod for the ridiculous low price of $50 for the combo. That sale is listed in a Christmas flier from at least 2 BPS sores that I know of. If you get one of these reels, you may notice that it has more braking than most of us need. The internal 4 pin centrifugal brake tabs are always on. 4 tabs is way to much braking for me. What I have been doing is removing 2 of the tabs across from each other to turn it into a 2 pin system. To do that, just pull the spool out, grab the end of a tab with tweezers and pull it out. While you hold it out, have someone cut it off with a pair of scissors, or small cutting dykes. The tab is solid on the end but hollow in the middle, so you cut it on both sides to remove the solid end. The spring will pull the rest of it back in after that, but with it cut off at the front, it won't come out far enough to touch the brake drum anymore.
I did this to mine after the first time out. Just stuck a toothpick on top of the tab, pulled the tab out, held the toothpick inside the hole and cut.
The two things I don't like about this reel was the none clicking star drag, but thick grease on the gear shaft slowed it down, and the IPT is so low. Other than those it was worth 40 bucks.

muddy man

These reels are not just additions in the last few days
They have added
5 new Baitcaster
one new spinning reel
redid, split grips and all the whole Extreme line of rods

crankenstein

Quote from: Pro Reel on December 11, 2011, 12:51:24 PM

I just got a Pinnacle Optimus that has the same breaking system. Instead of cutting off the brake tabs, I wonder is there any way to remove the whole brake block and remove two of the brake tabs? I've done that on Quantum reels. Quantum's ACS system is either 3, 6, or 9 tabs, I changed it to 2,4 and 6 tabs. I may do some tinkering on the Pinnacle ;D

Diggy_

The pro lite special combo is fifty bucks..worth while pick up?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Diggy_

I picked it up with the 7 ft medium, I'll use it for light cranks for now. Put 12# fluorocarbon on it

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Bassh8er

Just picked up my new Extreme!  Light and sleek looking, will even match my new Shimano Compre crankin' rod.  Free ship to store, ordered on Monday and picked up today.  Gotta love Bass Pro!
"Think classy, you'll be classy"