reel seating 'lock down'

Started by coldfront, December 29, 2011, 11:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

have had a few rods over the years...with many varied screw/lock set ups.

some have the 'screw down' foregrips...some have a screw 'ring' that either tightens from the rear of the reel or from the front down...

AFter twisting cork fore grips off my rods...I got really tired of that particular approach...not to mention it was often a point of 'pressure' on my hands...not a big deal if only fish for a day...but try to string together 2 or more on a 'trip' and it can get downright uncomfortable.

Right now, my favorite approach is the way it's done on the Shimano Cumara's I have...no/small foregrip....and a 'downlockng' ring for the reel seat...

this is one area where I with the industry would 'think' about a bit more.

to me it's meaningful.

Mike Cork

Trying to understand where you're at on this? I gather you like the small fore grip that is part of the lock down ring and screws down on top of the reel seat.

The rods I use have no fore grip and just a ring, does that feel uncomfortable to you?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on December 30, 2011, 11:42:58 AM

The rods I use have no fore grip and just a ring, does that feel uncomfortable to you?

that would describe my cumaras...and my preference.  frankly, I like an exposed rod blank under my reel for direct hand contact to the blank.  Same reason for the 'no foregrip'...it helps me get more direct access to the rod blank...

that 'ring' that screws down to lock in the reel is my preference.  What I HATE most is when that ring has a foregrip 'built over/around' it...

Mike Cork

I'm with you 100%.

On some techniques I like to have a finger on the blank. On others I palm the reel so my finger is on the line but either way it feels funny or in the way if a rod has a foregrip.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service